Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New JPD Indy hat arrives - another pic added on pg 3

hatflick1

Practically Family
Great hat.
Looks terrific on you.
As for the "fear of wearing"...it has been my experience that guys will often stare at a fedora or do the typical Indiana Jones or lame cowboy jokes...but women have come up to me sharing compliments, wishing their boyfriends had a little "class" and, okay, flirting. I love that! But, of course, I'm single.

D

DBFedora

Looks great Steve! I saw your earlier post and I was inclined to say that a shorter crown would probably be best, but seeing it on you and the way you wear it I stand correcrted. Your wife will get used to it, too. Eventually, she will question you if you don't leave the house with your hat. She will see that it is a part of you and who you are and she will love you for your sense of individuality and style as well.:fedora: Enjoy!

I'm 5' 4", so you have three inches on me and I'm heavier than you, so that might make a difference for me with the high crown, but you've challenged me to at least give it a second look the next time I get the chance to try on the real thing. (Not much to look at but cowboy hats in this part of Colorado.)

But no matter what, I'll wear what I like and what fits me best and not worry about what others have to say. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how many will have very positive comments. Have fun with your new lid.

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
Thanks everyone! You guys are awesome. :) I really appreciate the kind words. I've been told I have a bit of a "baby face" -- even at 37 years old -- so I've always been concerned I'd look like a kid playing dress up if I wore a fedora. Combined with my height of 5'6", well, you get my point. If I can get away with this, any of you guys can.

The hat continues to impress me everytime I put it on. I'm already getting used to it and hope to wear it out this weekend. I love the brim on this thing, especially as I mess around with the back of it and get rid of the shipping box distortion.

Please keep the comments coming if you're so inclined. I'm learning a lot. I'll try to get a couple of additional outdoor pictures this weekend.

Steve

Warlock

Suspended
My friend, that hat fits you well, in shape and style. And concerning style, wear it with confidence. Your friends will admire yours and even become accustomed to it very quickly. Others may stare, but I assure you that no matter what face they may seem to put on it, almost all of them will be admiring you. To me, even if someone makes a disparaging comment, I generally think there is still an undertone of wistful admiration in it.

That style fits yours, and as for any concerns about a baby face now, you will get the last laugh later.

duggap

Banned
Steve, don't let funny looks keep you from wearing that hat. The looks are just because 1) people are not used to seeing you in a hat and 2) people are not used to seeing men wear fedora type hats anymore. You look great in it and the height of the crown is just about right for you. Congrads on a swell hat.:eusa_clap

Fridaynight

Familiar Face
I agree with everyone else, it looks great on you.
I'm 5'6 and hats look great on me too. Height is definitely not a problem.
The stares never really stop, but the people who do stare typically have no manners so its not like I need their praise anyway. (talking about the people who STARE, not just people who look and admire, I like that ;) )

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
I have to agree - that hat is perfect for your face. Really.

All my fedoras have been tall crowned Akubra Federations. You get used to it, and on a face like yours (and mine, IMHO), the bold tall crowns really look best. You wear it well!

art92101

One of the Regulars
Its a matter of perspective.

I agree that it looks very good, but. i think a lower crown would look better on our model. I just like lower crowns, they look more proportioned.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
I think it looks pretty darn cool, anyway you cant go through life worrying about what other people think, where it and enjoy it.

The Long and Short of it!

I personally think it goes pretty darn well with your build. Give it a chance, i think that it is simply the newness of wearning a fedora that has you unsure.

At the end of maybe a year, then you'll know for sure...;)

PapaSimone

Familiar Face
secret is to wear it alot!

I think that is a great hat. If you wear it all the time you will cease to feel self conscious about it and your wife and neighbors will not notice it as much. Wear it with everything! Jeans, a hoodie and a stylin' hat is my preference!

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
Thanks again guys. I really appreciate the guidance and feedback. I wore the hat out today with my daughter along with me :) and the hat just feels part of me now. I really like it and the crown already doesn't even concern me any longer. Besides, my daughter likes daddy's hat, which helps my confidence.

Matt, I'm going to try to get another pic or two today or tomorrow. BTW, Matt, I really like that avatar -- extremely cool picture.

Meanwhile, here's a quick indoor closeup shot:

May12_2007_indyhat_cropped_2.jpg

Steve

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Steve,

Don't change a thing, it looks great on you. As with any change you will get comments from family, coworkers, and strangers, but most of them are positive. People will soon start to make comments when the don't see you with a hat on.

You will soon find out how functional the hat is as well. When people ask me why I wear a hat I reply, "It keeps me warm and dry when it's cold and wet outside." They understand the next time they are caught in the rain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara