Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Mayser

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Just curious,I'm sure this question has been asked and answered many times but
can't really find it on the posts I've been reading,I'm a new member and still not
sure how to get the answers I'm looking for, it seems like most of you like your
vintage hats with good reason.I have a new Mayser fur felt fedora good,bad or?

Last edited:

KyleK

One of the Regulars
What hat did you get?

Funny you should bring this up, though. I was in Boston earlier this week and stopped at Salmagundi - ended up buying a steel grey Mayser Padua. Seems like a decent hat and comparable to the imperial quality Akubra's I have. We'll see how it holds up in the elements, but I think it'll be fine.

For those interested in a description of the hat - looks about a 2 5/8" bound brim, tapered crown - about the same as a Stylemaster but slightly taller maybe, 1 1/4" ribbon - dark grey with a slightly blue tint. Pretty darn close to what I'd imagine a Glen Grey Stylemaster would look like.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
On the home page at the very top you'll find instructions for how to post pictures. Take a head shot and post it up! That way we can all weigh in with our astute observations, and maybe even say, "nice hat dude!" :)

Welcome, by the way.

KyleK

One of the Regulars
Guess this is where I say "duh".How would I find that info?

On my hat it says it on the white tag in the back of the hat at the sweatband. Says 'Padua" and then lists the name of the color in German and a few other languages, I think. The measurements I'm just guessing from looking at it.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would like to consider a new Mayser, but the only place I found searching a year or two ago, that had good Meyser fedoras in the U.S. was Hat Lounge in North Carolina, but checking its website recently, I think they are now out of business. A shame--they seemed to have a great selection and I was halfway hoping to buy something from there. I guess they went under because potential customers like me decided to wait rather than buy. Anyway, the Maysers they had on their website were good-looking hats.

I am actually a dealer for Mayser. Mayser hats are now made in Slovakia. All production moved from Lindenberg
Germany to Slovakia in Spring 2011. The Padau and others such as the City Finale and Darian are nice production hats but their blocking is modern. Also felt weight is more heavy than modern Borsalino. If anyone is interested please send me a PM.

Last edited:

new2hats

A-List Customer
I would like to consider a new Mayser, but the only place I found searching a year or two ago, that had good Meyser fedoras in the U.S. was Hat Lounge in North Carolina, but checking its website recently, I think they are now out of business. A shame--they seemed to have a great selection and I was halfway hoping to buy something from there. I guess they went under because potential customers like me decided to wait rather than buy. Anyway, the Maysers they had on their website were good-looking hats.

I bought a "Loden" colored Mayser fedora from the Hat Lounge in Durham, NC last October, before they went out of business. It was in a mall. At the time, wasnt sure if it was a real Mayser hat, as I understood them to be vintage when researching the lounge, and there is no clear "Mayser" name on the insignia under the crown.

It's a great hat, would have bought more if I had known he was going to go out of business!

new2hats

A-List Customer
It does, the logo does not have the word "Mayser" on it like I see in some pictures. The liner is green. It does have a crest with 2 lions that are colored blue and face each other with a shield between them. The shield has red and blue squares in an alternating pattern. Will try to upload a picture, but that describes it basically. Knock off?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gotta get me one, one of these days. On the old Hat Lounge website, in particular the models that appealed to me were the "Alicante, " model # 1216871. and the "Patrice," both wide-brimmed, low-crowned fedoras. They were $300-400, which slowed me down. These two models, to me, are examples of sort of hipper fedoras, like Borsalino also sells, than the Stetson line of dress fedoras.

Those models are no longer available but there are similar ones. Those prices are ridiculous. Probably looking at around $160.00.

Last edited:
It does, the logo does not have the word "Mayser" on it like I see in some pictures. The liner is green. It does have a crest with 2 lions that are colored blue and face each other with a shield between them. The shield has red and blue squares in an alternating pattern. Will try to upload a picture, but that describes it basically. Knock off?

That isn't a Mayser logo that I am aware of. If you can supply photos that would help. There should also be a tag with the size and model number (7 numbers).

The liner and sweatband should look something like this. This is a modern City model and they still use the old Mayser logo.

4330803414_59bf59aeda_b.jpg

Last edited:

new2hats

A-List Customer
Heres the link to the store on Youtube when it was still open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h3EYX23kVE

took some pictures of the hat, am still trying to upload them correctly...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63983056@N06/8108680247/in/photostream/lightbox/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63983056@N06/8108683699/in/photostream/lightbox/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63983056@N06/8108686451/in/photostream/lightbox/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63983056@N06/8108690151/in/photostream/lightbox/

I should have saved the receipt, as I see there is no mention of Mayser on the hat at all, and one cannot prove that it was sold as such. Mr. Alvarez did verbally tell me that it was a Mayser from Germany, and I took his word for it. The misspelled company logo should have given me a hint that it might not be so. I was a hat newbie at the time, and that was the first time I had heard of that company, as at the time I was more familiar with Borsalino, Stetson, etc...

I believe I bought it for 90 bucks or so, on sale. It does feel like fur felt, and again I do like it. Just not sure it is authentic.

Last edited:
Thanks! I think it might have been sold through Mayser based on the model number but is not an actual Mayser made hat. I can tell it's made of wool and more in the Trachten style. The model number is no longer available.

That looks like the City model (if you can tell me the model number on the tag I can tell you for sure). If so it's the same hat that I posted the liner and sweat photo of. It's a fur felt hat with modern dimensions.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
That looks like the City model (if you can tell me the model number on the tag I can tell you for sure). If so it's the same hat that I posted the liner and sweat photo of. It's a fur felt hat with modern dimensions.
1176275 with a small "p", under the first # there are #s in very small print 0903 8001 I'm guessing that these are probably lot and batch #s, thxs in advance for any and all info.

Last edited:
I couldn't find that model number. It's close to the City model number. It might be a special order or a model that is no longer available. Where did you get it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy