Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New (old) Vsnson Ike

Congratulations! I bought an Ike once (accidentally, when my 3mo old hit "buy now".) I cancelled the order, but wish I hadn't as it was a steal in hindsight. These are great jackets!
Looking forward to seeing it on.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I'm pleased to report that the Vanson 'highwayman' (according to the listing), I just bought on eBay has arrived, fits nicely (fit pics to follow when the rain stops), has no nasty smells, has nice grain and is as I suspected a Vanson Ike!

Looks a lot like my Aero half-belt deluxe. Nice pickup.

robrinay

One Too Many
It's got features from a number of jackets - both by vintage and reproduction makers e.g. pocket styles and cinch straps similar to many half belts, the short boxy style of the Hollywood and Highwayman types, piping similar to but in a different place to the Hercules and Speigel types the 'kidney protector' of Cossack style biker jackets etc. I really like the combination of features in this design.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I love the Ike, but the 800 Dollar pricing on it is beyond what I pay for a off-the-rack jacket, especially since it's 1000 Dollar once I paid duties and custom fees, which is more than a new Aero. Being located in the EU makes buying from Aero very lucrative while buying from the US in most cases sadly isn't worth the money.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've got two. An Ike in the "old" Octagon leather I picked up at the factory and a black used one that was my "go to" till I picked up a perfect used Highwayman. I like the jackets, strong, well made with beefy flawless zippers.

Worf

robrinay

One Too Many
Having read the above by jacket junkie I'm feeling smug now having paid only £155. It was his third attempt at selling it too - price drop from £175.
Worf- I was impressed and then confirmed in my search for one in my size when I saw your pics of your tan Ike some time ago. I've emailed Vanson to ask if they can tell me the leather type and date of manufacture of mine.
Rob

Peacoat

Bartender
Vanson sources excellent steer. I love how the grain has developed on your jacket. The grain on my Vanson isn't as well developed, but then I have six or so leather MC jackets that are in rotation, depending on the weather.

Congratulations, you did well.

Jim Day

New in Town
I love the Ike, but the 800 Dollar pricing on it is beyond what I pay for a off-the-rack jacket, especially since it's 1000 Dollar once I paid duties and custom fees, which is more than a new Aero. Being located in the EU makes buying from Aero very lucrative while buying from the US in most cases sadly isn't worth the money.

New Vansons are expensive but you can get them used relatively cheap on ebay. I own something like 20 of them in various styles and colors, and consider myself a collector. Most of the ones I've purchased were obtained for between $150 and $250. What really amazes me is how well they last. Most of my jackets are 30 to 40 years old and the leather is still like new. I've never had the stitching fail in any way. The early English leather is more susceptible to staining but for the most part with even just reasonable care they are pretty indestructible. I see them as tools because I ride.

This white labeled Model A is probably over forty years old.
15905352009_d4a686babf_o.jpg

30+ year old AZ2.
22601681646_37c117539a_o.jpg

Another 30+ Model A (identical to the above without the zip in lining)
21827467612_d34fc60095_o.jpg

A more modern 20+ year old Enfield.
17345621508_d585abfcb4_o.jpg

In contrast this less then twenty year old jacket (I bought it new) from a competing manufacturer is starting to wear out and has been relegated to desert duty.
17338084510_3a3402cd0e_o.jpg

Personally I can't imagine buying one of the jackets new. Some of my 40 year old white labels still look the were just made, and they were bought at a fraction of the cost new. I wouldn't let the price of a new one hold you back. The pre 1980 jackets are some of the best made, and very reasonably priced. Just the fact there are so many of these jackets around in such great shape is a testament to their quality.

Last edited:

Jim Day

New in Town
I'm pleased to report that the Vanson 'highwayman' (according to the listing), I just bought on eBay has arrived, fits nicely (fit pics to follow when the rain stops), has no nasty smells, has nice grain and is as I suspected a Vanson Ike!

Can you do me a favor and look at the inside leather trim for a serial number. I have some theories but I'm curious to exactly what year that one was made.

Bern1

One of the Regulars
Nice BMW's Jim! I love that metallic blue, used to have one that color!

+1 on Vanson. My race leathers were from them as are my current touring trousers. Don't have any of the jackets.......yet!

robrinay

One Too Many
Can you do me a favor and look at the inside leather trim for a serial number. I have some theories but I'm curious to exactly what year that one was made.
I've added this pic to the first batch above - but 'belt and braces' can you interpret it? My understanding from another thread on TFL is that the 02 doesn't mean the year of manufacture and that 4 digit prefixes are older than 5 digit prefixes. I sent this pic and the earlier ones to Vanson as soon as I received it with a request for info on the jacket but they haven't replied yet.

Last edited:

Jim Day

New in Town
Nice BMW's Jim! I love that metallic blue, used to have one that color!

+1 on Vanson. My race leathers were from them as are my current touring trousers. Don't have any of the jackets.......yet!

I really like the blue one, I pretty much ride it daily. It's a 1975 R75/6 I bought in non-running condition a while back. The original forks had serious issues, so I upgraded it with a shortened Kayaba fork from a 2004 YZ450F. I then I built my own monoshock rear for it utilizing a Showa shock from a more modern R1100GS. It may look like a tall bobber or scrambler but it has serious off road performance superior to the original airhead GS and PD bikes, and since it's lighter it's more fun to ride.

I've got one race suit, and I'm up to four pairs of pants. I just really love their gear. Is there a dedicated Vanson thread? I looked around but could not find one.

Jim Day

New in Town
I've added this pic to the first batch above - but 'belt and braces' can you interpret it? My understanding from another thread on TFL is that the 02 doesn't mean the year of manufacture and that 4 digit prefixes are older than 5 digit prefixes. I sent this pic and the earlier ones to Vanson as soon as I received it with a request for info on the jacket but they haven't replied yet.

Painted that is interesting. I'd say 8287A02
4 digit 02 batch number. Late 80s early 90s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou