Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Orleans Mardi Gras Ball Men's Fashion

StevenR

New in Town
This past weekend my girlfriend and I were invited to a Mardi Gras Ball in Nola. She was so excited to dress up in a gown and wanted to wear her grandmother's fur, but I was excited too because it was white tie and tails.
So, like any over achiever; I looked up formal etiquette online and read up, studied, wrote down everything I would need and how to wear it for the ball. It took about a month to get everything ready, and I was looking handsome, according to the gal.

-Tailcoat from England
-Waistcoat white pique (backless) from Australia
-Tie white pique continuous from England
-Wingtip pique shirt French cuff
-Mother of pearl cufflinks and studs(shirt and waistcoat)
-High wasted pants (so my jacket would reach my pants
-No gloves, not a butler
-Silk top hat, Why not..

We arrived looking good, dressed to the elevens, three steps over heaven. But I started noticing a theme. All of the ladies looked great, but looked even better when their date stood next to them wearing their tuxedo.
What has happened to men's fashion?

-Pants were not pulled up
-Waistcoats sometimes were longer than the cut of the tailcoat or did not even cover their trousers
-Clip on bow ties for grown men...
-Some shaved and combed their hair
-And the pants and jacket usually were too large in general for the men (did not make them look slender and tall)

What has happened to make men not care about how they present themselves?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles