Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Spectators

Matt Jones

Familiar Face
scotrace said:
I see Stacy Adams shoes every time I search for spectators. Wondered if anyone here had any experience with them.

I tried a pair of Madison spectators a while ago. They look great in photos, but not so hot in person. The leather is thin and hard... almost feels plastic-like, synthetic. The workmanship also leaves a lot to be desired. In short I felt they were a ripoff even at half price, and returned them.

A shame because the Madison is such a perfect, classic cap toe design.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I have a small collection of Stacy Adams, they have a bit of a cult following in the Latino (and Black) community. Stacy's used to come out of a small factory in MA (or PA, I forgot) and a merchant could place special orders for custom colors and materials for their customers. Those days are long gone and the craftmanship of the shoes are'nt what they used to be. However, they still are my kicks of choice. Now if they would only release SUEDE madisons again. . .(commence daydreaming)

BTW Spectators are specifically spring and summer shoes, since they are technically white or light colored shoes with a darker material added to keep the lighter part from getting stained or discolored.

RyFranzese24

Familiar Face
scotrace said:
I see Stacy Adams shoes every time I search for spectators. Wondered if anyone here had any experience with them.

I have a nice pair of them. They are definitely the correct style. They are always a great conversation piece and they offset a suit or tux so nicely. Mine get the job done. Very confortable, to boot.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Hi HJ,

I ordered a pair of these exact shoes an I have to say I'm delighted!!

I took them Lindyhopping on Tuesday nite and they were great.

They're lovely and they could be worn regularly.

I got UK 12Fs. a great fit, tempted to get the black and white pair too!!

What do you think?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm with you, Mr. H, all the way. I have been intending to get the Black and White pair since I got the Tan on Brown. I think they are marvelous. I would probably wear them with my tux on less formal ocassions like charity events.

I'm glad you like them and I wish you luck with them.

I am happy to hear you're doing well.

astaire

One of the Regulars
compare the leather

Those British shoes are great. But I love AE too.

HJ, how does the leather from your spectators compare to Allen Edmonds?

I have the devonshire from AE and the leather is nice: thick yet supple and soft.

Let me know how they compare, since i really want a pair like yours ALOT...lol

Thanks!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
astaire said:
Those British shoes are great. But I love AE too.

HJ, how does the leather from your spectators compare to Allen Edmonds?

I have the devonshire from AE and the leather is nice: thick yet supple and soft.

Let me know how they compare, since i really want a pair like yours ALOT...lol

Thanks!
Hello Astaire,
I wish I could tell you, but although I have seen Edmunds and my shoes side-by-side, I never crouched down to compare the leathers. The brown in the Edmunds is lighter, but that is all I remember.

My Sargents are excellent shoes, well made and with a high quality leather. That is all I can say. I'm sorry I cannot be more help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo