Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New William Lennon Derby Boot - Singular!

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Paddy - they customized mine too - I asked for the tops to be 2 inches taller and I asked for toe caps with no holes in them. I also asked for the lighter brown leather that they use (they call it "Mid Brown Latigo), but they forgot to make this change (I ended up with "Dark Brown Latigo").

For my next order, I would really like a 6" pair in their waxy tan leather - I just can't decide whether to go with or without toe caps. I would probably also send them a pair of Vibram 705 or similar half soles - the thin sole saver on my boots is a little wimpy for my taste. This is the pair I would base them on:

http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/footwear/178-tan-waxy-leather-sole-boot.html

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
178 Tan Waxy Leather Sole Boot - Those are the ones I was thinking of (leather looks lovely). But *possibly* with a toe-cap and the lace holes of the hiking/fell boot (the small holes). Also go for the triple leather sole. Mmmm - decisions. Winged an email off to DAN, and he said if I wanted to 'drop in' then just give him a ring and he'd make sure he was there to show me around!

mattfink

Practically Family
Yeah man! My other boot showed up last night....pics to come soon. They fit about 1/4 to 1/2 smaller than I would expect on an American 12 which is perfect for me. The only complaint I have is the super thin rubber heel. I can tell this will wear out rather quickly.

mattfink

Practically Family
imagejpeg952.jpg

imagejpeg952_2.jpg

billyspew

One Too Many
Well they arrived this morning and both together (so much for the 4-5 weeks)!
Not worn them much yet, but will start today. First impressions are that the leather is really think, the fit is good (even the toe box is good which is unusual. I'll try and remember to post pics once they're worn in a little. I'm not sure what colour polish to use on these yet.
5599980729_3841d5c713_z.jpg

5600563914_cf198b0de3_z.jpg

5599979993_558bb6b504_z.jpg

5599979591_78335fe304_z.jpg

bl@ster

One of the Regulars
I'm interested in getting a pair of those "178 Tan Waxy Leather Sole" boots. They look awesome.

Question though: I wear size 11D in Red Wing, Chippewa, Alden, Thorogood, etc. What size should I order with the 178 boots?

Thanks for your help!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Billyspew - those look gorgeous. As for boot polish, I'd personally (just because that shade of leather is so lovely anyway) go with a neutral and see how that works. Otherwise a 'light tan.'
But you've gone with a winner there by the looks of things and they'll just get better as you break them in. Enjoy - a good time of year to get them too.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Well they arrived this morning and both together (so much for the 4-5 weeks)!
Not worn them much yet, but will start today. First impressions are that the leather is really think, the fit is good (even the toe box is good which is unusual. I'll try and remember to post pics once they're worn in a little. I'm not sure what colour polish to use on these yet.
5599980729_3841d5c713_z.jpg

5600563914_cf198b0de3_z.jpg

5599979993_558bb6b504_z.jpg

5599979591_78335fe304_z.jpg

Billy -

You just pushed me over the edge - those boots are incredible! What size are yours? I just sent an e-mail to William Lennon last night. I hope I hear from them soon - I'd really like to get a pair of those. Too bad it's an extra 30 pounds to ship to the US, but they'll be worth it. I'm going to see if I can send them some Vibram half soles to put on mine.

Blaster - how long did it take them to get back to you - or did you just make the order on their website?

Last edited:

bl@ster

One of the Regulars
I just ordered from the website. It took 2 months from time of order to taking delivery here in the US.

Incidentally, I just wore them for the first time today after having a cobbler put a half sole on. Boy, these are sturdy. They're going to take a lot of breaking in...

I'm ordering a pair of these today (I note that this is one of the rare companies that actually make insect sized shoes, so finally I can get some work boots!). I've been dithering for months over whether I could afford them. But the leap must be taken, having seen how beautiful Bill's boots are …

bk

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I just ordered from the website. It took 2 months from time of order to taking delivery here in the US.

Incidentally, I just wore them for the first time today after having a cobbler put a half sole on. Boy, these are sturdy. They're going to take a lot of breaking in...

Blaster - do you mind me asking who you had do the work and how much it cost? Did your cobbler also install thicker heel rubber to compensate for the thickness of the half soles?

I am hoping to get this done at the factory (they customized my Derby boots for me), but I'm not sure how they'll react to me trying to send them thicker half soles. Still no response to my e-mail.

bl@ster

One of the Regulars
Blaster - do you mind me asking who you had do the work and how much it cost? Did your cobbler also install thicker heel rubber to compensate for the thickness of the half soles?

I am hoping to get this done at the factory (they customized my Derby boots for me), but I'm not sure how they'll react to me trying to send them thicker half soles. Still no response to my e-mail.

My local cobbler (I'm in Seattle) charged me $45, which is actually a little high. The other local guy will do it for $35 but he only takes cash so I didn't use him.

I just had the rubber "Neolite" Goodyear half-sole put on. Since the heel already had a rubber bottom, I just left it as is. I've done this for a lot of my boots and the extra thickness on the front is never noticeable.

Here's the half-sole that he used:
http://www.cobblersupplies.com/servlet/the-8/GoodYear-Rubber-Half-Soles/Detail

bl@ster

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner