Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

Dav

One Too Many
That seems to be breaking in very nicely Infinitum
:eek:fftopic:
How did you change the thread title? I've tried to do the same with a couple of threads that I started but don't seem able to.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I'm pretty pumped looking at your jacket as I just picked up a similar jacket (LW Ryder) although it's been too cold here to wear it yet. Yours looks like it's softened up quite a bit. Mine is stiff as a board, but I should be able to start softening it up pretty soon. BTW - that tie looks great with your jacket.

acl1

Familiar Face
That seems to be breaking in very nicely Infinitum
:eek:fftopic:
How did you change the thread title? I've tried to do the same with a couple of threads that I started but don't seem able to.

there should be a "go advanced" option when you edit your post. That changes the title.

CBI

One Too Many
I really think that John is the best leather jacket maker in the world now. Nice catch and great that you picked up a test model. Many of my GW A-2's were test/first run jackets

WalkingBoy

Familiar Face
I really think that John is the best leather jacket maker in the world now. Nice catch and great that you picked up a test model. Many of my GW A-2's were test/first run jackets

I agree CBI...John's work is wonderful and I reckon he's doing the finest work going round right now. There's that something extra in his finish and fit that lifts it above almost all others. Considering he's doing it all himself its' even more astonishing...

D

Deleted member 16736

Goodwear Mojave MC Jacket: Opinions Wanted

Hi, I'm finalizing my Goodwear jacket order already placed and noticed this model which doesn't appear in John's regular lineup. It's called the Mojave and appears to be a 1930s MC jacket. I ran a search on FL and didn't come up with any posts on the subject so I figured I'd start one. Does anybody own this jacket or have an opinion about it one way or the other? I like a lot of details about it, such as the button cuffs and the stripes running down from the yoke to the halfbelt. The only other jacket with that striping detail I've seen was a 1930s Sear Herc. I also like the lower waist cinches which presumably tighten without blousing out the bottom of the jacket.

Here's the link:

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/Californian_Mojave_No1_46/front_view2.jpg

JanSolo

Practically Family
Goodwear's Japanese aniline HH is so versatile and abrasion resistant!!

:p

5539352363_cd24d7c54c_z.jpg

As the days are getting warmer here in Northern Germany I checked and waxed my barebows. My Martin Hunter needed a new arrow rest and I found John Chapman's leather to be an excellent choice. The rest was wet shaped and air dried und it fits perfectly. The warm russet of the leather really blends into the laminated woods of the riser. I like it!
Also the horsehide seems to be quite abrasion resistant. I've done 50-60 shots so far and there's not much wear visible.

5539935600_ed463165ed_z.jpg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
NEW GW DUBOW 27798

Recently John Chapman took apart a Dubow 27798 which was in rough condition. He used it to make two test jackets and told me
There are some subtle differences with my previous Dubow pattern, and this new one looks air-tight in relation to the original.

Originally back in July I odered a russet Dubow from this contract, but changed it to a SAT when he lauched this jacket. However after talking to him on the phone recently decided to revert to my original order as the Dubow is a sharper design. I decided to go for his seal brown Japanese hh with berry knits. He made my size 44 Dubow in the last few days and installed a NOS Talon zip. Most of my original and repro A2s are russet so a seal A2 from this 1942 contract will make a welcome change! Here are some of the pics which John sent me this morning. I should have the jacket in my possession by the weekend.

Dubow_27798_44.jpg

front_view2.jpg

front_view1.jpg

reverse_view1.jpg

reverse_view2.jpg

collar2.jpg

Dubowcollar1.jpg

3onaMatch

One of the Regulars
Hey Andrew, when did you place your order with John, if you don't mind my asking? I am currently in the queue for a Rough Wear in Seal w/ O.D. thread, but production has not yet begun, as far as I know. I ordered mine right around Nov. 1st. Will post pics when it gets to me, as well.

3onaMatch

One of the Regulars
Oh, btw, Paddy--if you're seeing this--I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on John's Rough Wear, as I am ordering the exact same model you have/had. I believe we are even the same size--38, no?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot