Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newt at the Royal

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
I just came back from a week in Hawaii and was pleasantly surprised to run into this shop in the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, called Newt at the Royal.

http://www.newtattheroyal.com/index.html

They had a very fine collection of Montecristis and Milans, randing in price from around $400 to the finest in glass cabinet at $15,000.

The Milans seemed to be Optimo blocked and reeded, with the same size marker that Optimo uses, and same Milan weave.

The person at the shop was very pleasant and knowledgeable, and it was a very welcoming atmosphere.

DSC_7289.jpg

DSC_7287.jpg

DSC_7297.jpg

Reactions: DRB

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
+1. The milan certainly looks to be an Optimo. Do you know (or suspect) if the panamas are BB, Optimo, or otherwise?

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Looks like you had a great time! Just to second yes they are Optimos at Newts, but out of my price range...

DanO

One of the Regulars
Worth a stop, we were staying at The Royal Hawaiian so we passed it daily. Nice shop more than my wife would let me spend on a hat.

DanO

One of the Regulars
BTW there is one of Newt's hats on ebay right now I am looking at it but I think there are a bunch of us looking since the bids are at 24 now and it still has two days.

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
I lived in Honolulu for thirty years. The Montechristi in my avatar came from Newt's. The hat band is a hand made Hawaiian feather lei made for me by my then girlfriend, Kamakaokalani Smith.

Hats Matter

One of the Regulars
I was in Honolulu recently and I can report that Newt at the Royal is still in business as a brick and mortar store. The proprietor is Jim Tomasi as shown in the photo. He confirmed that his Montecristi Panama hats are blocked by Optimo. I bought 3 shirts but no hats as I have 3 Panamas.

IMG_0539.JPG IMG_E0536.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner