Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Night Owls only

Mr Vim

One Too Many
No one else seems up at this hour, so I suppose I will rhapsodize for a moment or two. Here in Alaska, as I type this post, it is 0230 AM. Now that is a magic time. Why? Well you look outside and it is quiet, there is not a thing moving out there except those night creatures that prefer not to be seen by our eyes... animals or people, take your pick.

Now tonight is even more special, as is every night around this time of year and this time of the watch... the snow and the frost make the quiet that much more so. There is a surreal, fairy tale like quality to times like this. It makes me appreciate being up so late that it has become early.

gpsoldhat

New in Town
Working nite shift also. I remember working nights in Alaska an seeing the fog freeze on the trees. Looked like a postcard sometimes

zombi

A-List Customer
We're having quite the night in Thoracic Park. Here's hoping all the other night shifters won't have feet as sore as mine by morning!

I work a job on the railroad, that puts me on duty at 8 pm, and off at 8 am. Rumbling through a sleepy town on a train at 2 in the morning is a weird feeling. You look down empty streets, the only thing you know about each little town being the name, milepost, and whatever customer you might have to switch out. Its kind of an unexplainable, surreal feeling, which is probably I why I get such a kick out of what I do. Its kinda nice being the rolling bastion of life in a dead town, all 100 cars worth.
Here's a different perspective on "Rumbling through a sleepy town on a train at 2 in the morning". The house my parents owned (i.e., the house I grew up in) is right next to a railroad line used exclusively by freight trains. In their infinite wisdom, the builders of the house designed it with the bedrooms at the end of the house nearest the railroad tracks. Understandably, most people would think this was a bad thing but, oddly, I never even knew a train went through every morning at 3 a.m. until my late teen years when I would stay out later and come home in the wee hours of the morning. Apparently the noises from the train, the horn, and the clanging of the signal had become part of my normal sleep pattern, so I slept right through it for nearly 20 years. So if you've ever wondered if you're disturbing anyone by rolling through their town at 2 a.m., for the most part I'd say no.

Back to the topic, is the term "Night Owls" a kind euphemism for "insomniacs"? :D

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Zombie, not necessarily. I sleep just fine when I work day shifts, I started the thread for anyone that was awake during the later hours of the night is all.

Ah, okay. Still, that would be me--night owl because of insomnia.

BTW, when I posted this last night I neglected to mention I am familiar with the term "Night Owl"; I was just crackin' wise in my previous post. :cool2:

Last edited:

DoctorYikes

New in Town
I'm a Night Person by nature, having later become one by profession. I work 6p-7a, and a good portion of it can be down time (A significant portion of my job falls under emergency response).

For the most part, I get a lot of reading done -- though I'm a bit burned out on the books at the moment.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
*Hoot*

O black and unknown bards of long ago,
How came your lips to touch the sacred fire?
How, in your darkness, did you come to know
The power and beauty of the minstrel's lyre?

James Weldon Johnson, O Black And Unknown Bards

G.K. Chesterton's Orthodoxy
and Boccherini: Menuet Celebre

Thesis reading and waiting for the pending snow storm with a lit pipe bowl
filled with Frog Morton tobacco and a glass of Evan Williams bourbon.
:smow: :)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
winter weather taking its toll on me and my truck, which is currently stranded in another town......

Hang in there Tom. You'll be back on schedule in no time. :thumb:

*Hoot*

Summer delights the scholar
With knowledge and reason.
Who is happy in the hedgerow
Or meadow as he?
...But in winter by the big fires,
The ignorant hear his fiddle,
And he battles on the chessboard
As the land lord bids him.

Austin Clarke, The Scholar

Sarah Vaughan, Street of Dreams; a tumbler of aged sour mash whisky,
and an article found in a back issue of Smithsonian; "Americans in Paris,"
the influence of French Impressionism on American art.
Whistler, Sargeant, Cassat and others. :)

Thanks for the kind words guys, I don't wanna sit here and sing my woes, but my woman left me right after Thanksgiving, and nothing's been right since. Luckily, coming back to the lounge has really cheered me up. I got great people to talk to like you all. That's really helped me a lot in these tough times. Thanks to you all.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the kind words guys, I don't wanna sit here and sing my woes, but my woman left me right after Thanksgiving, and nothing's been right since.

That's tough, Tom. I know what you're going through.
And I also know it is small consolation to say Time heals all wounds,
but you will get over the pain and move on.

*Hoot*

What is your substance, whereof are you made?
That millions of strange shadows on you tend?
Since everyone hath, every one, one shade,
And you, but one, can every shadow lend-

Shakespeare

Corelli: Badinerie

Night owl thesis research; a briefcase full of work;
and my flat looks like a cyclone struck. :juggle: :)

zombi

A-List Customer
Is the profile that suggests of "Medical Profession specializing in internals, plus Michael Crichton fan" accurate? (Jurassic Park is a longtime personal favorite, I've worn out three copies.)
Why, naturally! :)

It's the thoracic intensive care unit, and a bunch of us think it's a great joke to refer to it as "thoracic park". Tonight's fairly quiet, but if I said that out loud something would be sure to happen!

Couldn't help myself--you know you watch too much Criminal Minds when you start profiling everyone who crosses your path... :eek: lol even more so when just 'cuz you're the same archetype as Dr. Reid you desperately seek an opportunity to one-up the smarmy little boy-genius even despite him being a fictional character. :eek:

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Hello Owls its been a while since insomia has brought me into this room. Tonight I am visiting because of a hacking cough that is keeping me up so I thought I would visit you all while I sipped my hot toddy (hot tea, honey, lemon, and whiskey well ok I only had Kentucky bourbon in the house that works right?) to help ease my cold and let me get some rest.

I searched the lounge for a home remedy section I did find some cold and flu remedies but I think we should have a home remedies from the golden ere section don't you all think? Should I start one up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace