Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nomex Flyer jacket

Justhandguns

Practically Family
How does Nomex wear compared to nylon? Fire is no risk for me but how is it with abrasion and water?

To add on Ligtag8r's comment, I think in terms of abrasion resistance, Nomex is better than Nylon in general, as the Nomex jackets all feel more rigid than their predecessors.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
In my non-military experience nomex jackets will soak through pretty quickly, and the 45/P will soak up water. Also, cold wind goes through them. The only abrasion problems I've seen on my own jackets and other are the seams: the inside arm seams seem vulnerable to rubbing on the padded pockets on the 45/P jackets. And the stitching around the cuffs seem vulnerable on both 36/P and 45/P jackets. But that's from airmen and pilots using them as intended, i.e. as workwear. In regular civilian use they should last forever.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's a strange CWU jacket, nylon, supposedly Alpha, which has some strange details. I can't avoid thinking it's a fake, albeit a really good one.

kowalski

Practically Family

Col John Breazeale (right)

Capt Travis Burton in tan nomex[/QUOTE]

Look , it is the color disco gold ??? never , pictures lie sometimes(flash lamp), unfortunately and can sometimes look like gold disco
ps
I do not know why your jacket color looks disco gold, maybe have faulty or another Nomex

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mine was an Ashland Contract, maybe they are a different shade to Valley.

Nice jackets though :)

Mine was a bit 'Bee Gees' people said when I wore it.

kowalski

Practically Family
Mine was an Ashland Contract, maybe they are a different shade. Nice jackets though :)
maybe this is the reason that shade is gold , maybe .Mine is valley apparel L L C

from my own experience I know that one type, grade material (Nomex) can have different colors and shades of color depending on the company;)

just type in google password ;desert tan and popped up a few colors:)

Last edited:

bn1966

Picture of my Ashland

IMG_0887.jpg

kowalski

Practically Family
nice , i like thise color , sory :cool:

now it does not look like gold color ;) only just like a normal standard desert tan , maybe a little lighter shade is ,maybe..

bn1966

IMG_0747.jpg
Nomex was quite shiny (especially under artificial light) but still a nice jacket. Sold it because I didn't wear it, but then I prefer the early 'Action Back' CWU jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21