Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Northwest Hats, Eugene, Ore.

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
On my doorstep today was this little guy

5a39b86b5cbfa59d0dc46e6fd6d27386.jpg

1c4ce530df5a33b99841ee572272ccc8.jpg

aee562ea6d53948f4bb5ee24ca71472f.jpg

ba45655d56e698baa0e7aa3dc8b5a713.jpg

90c490af3947f7514e6b68e0b72308df.jpg

e6eb053cacf459b22bc2f42e619bbe51.jpg

These are just the beginning tweaks. This is a beautiful hat, well made, solid construction. I can't wait to break this in!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I love everything about this hat; and it looks superb on you!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Thanks Michael. That is charcoal with black ribbon. 5.5 crown, 2.5 brim.
That is very nice. Do you think (as I do) some trend towards NON thin ribbon but not wide ribbon seems to be starting? You note some of the Gannon hats are a mid ribbon range, as the same with Esther and Northwest?

My Husband is a thin ribbon hat lover but now that he has his "small mid range" size ribbon on the hat Esther made, he is thinking that also is the way to go. A bit of both worlds mixed in on the hat with how it looks. More in some way an elegant look? Elegant mid ribbon!

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is very nice. Do you think (as I do) some trend towards NON thin ribbon but not wide ribbon seems to be starting? You note some of the Gannon hats are a mid ribbon range, as the same with Esther and Northwest?

My Husband is a thin ribbon hat lover but now that he has his "small mid range" size ribbon on the hat Esther made, he is thinking that also is the way to go. A bit of both worlds mixed in on the hat with how it looks. More in some way an elegant look? Elegant mid ribbon!
My reasoning in going with the mid-ribbon is that too me it's not as dressy and is easier to make fit in a more casual sense. And I know that's just me.
I love wide ribbons but I told Michael that I know if I put the 1.5" ribbon on this I won't wear it as often and I don't want that to be the case.

EstherWeis

Vendor
Well, I went from really wide ribbons to thin and again in between.
On myself I'll mostly go for a rather wide one. I like the look and it makes a woman's fedora more elegant.
But the last year I've started to wear thin ones as well. It's the Lounge influence!
:)
I think crown height has a lot to do with it for me.
The proportion needs to look nice and depending on what bow I'm going to go with I decide what ribbon to go for.
Luckily for me I can order my ribbons in a wide array of withs so I guess that gives me the freedom to go with what works for said hat.

It's how I like to work. But that's different for everyone.

I do agree with you though, the mid ribbon sort of goes with everything.

RJR

On myself I'll mostly go for a rather wide one. I like the look and it makes a woman's fedora more elegant.
But the last year I've started to wear thin ones as well. It's the Lounge influence!
The proportion needs to look nice and depending on what bow I'm going to go with I decide what ribbon to go for.
Luckily for me I can order my ribbons in a wide array of withs so I guess that gives me the freedom to go with what works for said hat.

I agree,I've come to prefer mid ribbons over the last couple of years.Old age,retirement,casual clothes????

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

Wide ribbons do look nice however, I myself and Daniel, think it depends on the hat and sizes of the hat in general. A wider ribbon seems to take away from how high the crown looks on a hat. Most people like a lot of crown height. We have an all black hat here a thin ribbon with thin black hat band and edge trim is black. You do not see the overall hat as the black takes away from the form of the hat itself, but, I placed a wide ribbon of grey we had here around the hat just to see what it would look like, we did not like it. This hat has more than a 6 inch open crown to it, bashed it is 5 1/2+ but the wide ribbon robs that some, looks shorter! So now we are trying to decide what colors to use for a new ribbon on the edge and on the hat ribbon and bow! The hat is super nice, just not getting any head time due to all black color!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
My reasoning in going with the mid-ribbon is that too me it's not as dressy and is easier to make fit in a more casual sense. And I know that's just me.
I love wide ribbons but I told Michael that I know if I put the 1.5" ribbon on this I won't wear it as often and I don't want that to be the case.
The mid ribbons are definitely versatile. They work well with both dressy and casual attire. I like them all. Just depends on my mood.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Your new Northwest looks great, Roger.
I like the ribbon width myself - I'm sure we have a thread of mid-ribbon hats around somewhere.

Reactions: RJR

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wide ribbons do look nice however, I myself and Daniel, think it depends on the hat and sizes of the hat in general. A wider ribbon seems to take away from how high the crown looks on a hat. Most people like a lot of crown height. We have an all black hat here a thin ribbon with thin black hat band and edge trim is black. You do not see the overall hat as the black takes away from the form of the hat itself, but, I placed a wide ribbon of grey we had here around the hat just to see what it would look like, we did not like it. This hat has more than a 6 inch open crown to it, bashed it is 5 1/2+ but the wide ribbon robs that some, looks shorter! So now we are trying to decide what colors to use for a new ribbon on the edge and on the hat ribbon and bow! The hat is super nice, just not getting any head time due to all black color!

I think the perfect ribbon width for a crown 5.5" and more is 1.5". I definitely agree too wide of a ribbon detracts from crown height. 1.5" isn't too overpowering but it's not a thin ribbon either. Just right fit bring a wide ribbon. I really liked the 1.25" I had on the Stylemaster I used to own and I asked for that but Mike only had 1" and 1.5" in the wider ribbon. It turned out sweet though.

The mid ribbons are definitely versatile. They work well with both dressy and casual attire. I like them all. Just depends on my mood.

I'm the same way. I like variety in my hats. Have you spent much time in your NW? It's too dang hot here. I can't wait till fall, not to wish anyone's summer away!

Your new Northwest looks great, Roger.
I like the ribbon width myself - I'm sure we have a thread of mid-ribbon hats around somewhere.

Thank you very much David!

You know what I'm talking about with the heat don't you?

I really can't complain too much this year has actually been mild for us...

And now back to hats

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I think the perfect ribbon width for a crown 5.5" and more is 1.5". I definitely agree too wide of a ribbon detracts from crown height. 1.5" isn't too overpowering but it's not a thin ribbon either. Just right fit bring a wide ribbon. I really liked the 1.25" I had on the Stylemaster I used to own and I asked for that but Mike only had 1" and 1.5" in the wider ribbon. It turned out sweet though.

I'm the same way. I like variety in my hats. Have you spent much time in your NW? It's too dang hot here. I can't wait till fall, not to wish anyone's summer away!

I really can't complain too much this year has actually been mild for us...

And now back to hats

I normally try to find the color and size ribbons for any hats we have here, or to be made custom by a hatter. My source for great vintage ribbon is going to Etsy, as there are a few sellers that have vintage from the 1930's or 1940's and in a fairly decent variety of colors and sizes. That is what I did for the hat Esther made for my Husband. Sent her the yellow ribbon (3/4 inch) for the brim trim and the purple for the hatband and bow was I think 7/8 inch?

I am still searching now for ribbon to replace all black on a all black hat. Need some "dirty" Ivory or cream colored.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Have you spent much time in your NW? It's too dang hot here. I can't wait till fall, not to wish anyone's summer away!
Not as much as I would like right now. I wear it often, though. But just mostly in the cool of the early morning. After that, the weather's just way too hot and muggy. Yeah, I think Fall, Winter and Spring would be better. I really like mine, though. Whenever I can get some money saved up I'm going to have Mike make another one for me.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up

Indeed, I do; I've not worn a felt hat for 2 or 3 weeks now. Looks like we are locked into a high 90's or into the 100's for a little while.

I don't mind the high temperatures too much (at least so far!) and I do enjoy my straw hats.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Maybe I'm saying something that's already been covered here.
The new site of NWH http://www.northwesthats.com/ has new models and some of them are really very beautiful
Or at least for these eyes that seem to live on the other side of the Atlantic and are accustomed to other shapes and styles of hats.
I was wondering why no one speaks ..... it may be that I am going to be late?:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR