Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unusual 4-button belt back jacket with double breast pockets.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Beats me...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

$_57.JPG

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
This one has exactly the same marking on the sleeve lining as the example that sold a few months ago. If you look closely on this photo ...
$_57.JPG

... you can just see the faint wording that say 'Warner Brothers Wardrobe Department'.

Here's the earlier one:
$_57.JPG

DamianM

Vendor
Not a uniform. Just a style of jacket probably from the mid 20s-early 1930s. The los angeles Labeled jacket belonged to lucky cat.
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/194218725?

It was a good style that was very prominent in the 20s. See old Ad scans and you will find them a lot.
They would come as sports suits and or with breeches. A great sports wear suit.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
This one has a even more civilian cut (3 buttons and a rounded front cut) and is an uniform.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-30s-193...fficer-42-Long-Union-Made-NRA-/151151621122?p

The square front and four buttons make it distinctly more uniformish in appearance.
I would appreciate examples of ads showing these kind of suits (particularly with breeches) as civilian sports-clothes.
Not saying that there were no civilian sport suits of this kind but this particular cut and colour invoke for me chauffeurs, private guards or law enforcement.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
from the 20s catalogues i have this jacket most closely resembles the 'motorcycle outfits' that came with matching breeches. they often had four flapped pockets, or Norfolk straps front and back, though usually they were in drab cord. i've also never seen a four button sports jacket from the 20s.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
There's something about the cut that reminds me of hunting coats (four button front, narrow waist, wide skirt). Maybe they were an American attempt to make a hunting coat for the fashionable man?

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
Have you posted photos of it on the FL? i'd be interested to see it 'in action'. What do you wear it with? I ask because the four button front and the sever styling gives it quite a formal look.

Haven't posted any photos yet; it needs a little bit of work before I can wear it out (needs a bottom button and buttons on the cuffs), but I'll have to see what to wear it with... I'll have to go through old catalogs an illustrations to see what'd work; the fact that it is black also lends a formal vibe. (Though I tried it on with a boater hat, and it looks perfect with it! :) )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner