Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Northwest Hats, Eugene, Ore.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
LOL. I think most states in the lower 48 can produce wines better than MadDog... ;)

You can do an internet search on David Lett, The Eyrie Vineyards and the 1979 France Wine Olympics (The "Do-Overs"). That's when it really started here. I have heard 5 different versions of the story, but I guess the Wikipedia version might be the most neutral on the subject:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eyrie_Vineyards

The Eyrie Vineyards is an American winery in Oregon that consists of 60 acres (24 ha) in five different vineyards in the Dundee Hills AVA of the Willamette Valley. The vineyards and winery were established by owner and winemaker David Lett, who produced the first Pinot gris in the United States. Against the advice of viticultural professors at the University of California, Davis, Lett and his wife, Diana, moved to Oregon to plant Pinot noir. They founded Eyrie Vineyards in 1965, and their first vintage was 1970.

The 1975 Eyrie Vineyards Reserve Pinot Noir won tenth place among Pinot noirs in blind tasting at the Wine Olympics in 1979.

Burgundy winemaker Robert Drouhin organized a re-match at Maison Joseph Drouhin in France. The 1975 Eyrie Vineyards Reserve won second place, losing to Drouhin's 1959 Chambolle-Musigny by only two tenths of a point. Drouhin later purchased land in Oregon and built Domaine Drouhin Oregon.

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
Just arrived this past Tuesday. Natural undyed beaver felt with a 1 3/4" ribbon in Kangaroo (a type of a tan). Crown height is 5 1/2" when open; brim width is 2 5/8". The overall idea was inspired by Mr. Redfokker's 1942 Rose Bowl hat; but the whip-stitched edge treatment was added to the project after I viewed Mr. Bob Roberts posts of Mike's work in this capacity. The C-crown was put in by Mike (since he does such a fine job, I opted not to attempt to bash it myself this time). The felt is very thinly pounced, and it is superbly finished. I was quoted a 3-month wait, but in reality it was just a day or two over 2 months. This is my first hat from Mike, and will certainly not be my last!
NWNatural-1.jpg
NWNatural-2.jpg
NWNatural-3.jpg
NWNatural-4.jpg
NWNatural-6.jpg
NWNatural-5-sm.jpg
NWNatural-8.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Just arrived this past Tuesday. Natural undyed beaver felt with a 1 3/4" ribbon in Kangaroo (a type of a tan). Crown height is 5 1/2" when open; brim width is 2 5/8". The overall idea was inspired by Mr. Redfokker's 1942 Rose Bowl hat; but the whip-stitched edge treatment was added to the project after I viewed Mr. Bob Roberts posts of Mike's work in this capacity. The C-crown was put in by Mike (since he does such a fine job, I opted not to attempt to bash it myself this time). The felt is very thinly pounced, and it is superbly finished. I was quoted a 3-month wait, but in reality it was just a day or two over 2 months. This is my first hat from Mike, and will certainly not be my last! View attachment 61238 View attachment 61239 View attachment 61240 View attachment 61241 View attachment 61242 View attachment 61243 View attachment 61244
really really really nice

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Wow! That really looks great, especially on your noggin! Wow! The felt, the ribbon, the bow.... all of it. No kidding. I saw the teaser pic on Mike's facebook page, but you were right... the color is much better in these pictures and it looks like a million bucks sittin' on top of your head, KY!!!

I was thinking about a bone or sahara hat from Mike but now you've got me thinking about natural. I'm really blown away here. Outstanding! And I'm jealous, to boot!

Mike has a nice black cherry in beaver sitting in his display case and what a beauty. There's also a FEPSA wild hare blend (?) in dark brown done up in an Indy style in the same case. What a sweet hand on that one. It feels as velvety as most beaver felt in my limited experience.

We just got back from Mike's shop this afternoon. I picked up my Dobbs Temptation on which Mike replaced the bad (greasy?), deteriorating, sweat band. Excellent work as usual. He also put it on the block to size it to my egg head. Nice fit now.

I took another hat in to be spruced up and my daughter got measured and dropped off her straw Panama hat to get a new sweatband and pug. She picked burgundy for the pug and black leather for the sweatband, and I think it'll turn out great. It's dyed straw with black, brown and what looks like burgundy or black cherry all in a Cuenca weave, and blocked in a western style.

Mr. Bob Roberts, paging Mr. Bob Roberts: Mike brought out your vintage felt so I could stroke it a little. I immediately asked if he had more. It seems you found a one of a kind vintage felt, Bob, and it is a DANDY. You're going to love your new hat!

i-P4GvpRJ-X2.jpg

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
Wow! That really looks great, especially on your noggin! Wow! The felt, the ribbon, the bow.... all of it. No kidding. I saw the teaser pic on Mike's facebook page, but you were right... the color is much better in these pictures and it looks like a million bucks sittin' on top of your head, KY!!!

I was thinking about a bone or sahara hat from Mike but now you've got me thinking about natural. I'm really blown away here. Outstanding! And I'm jealous, to boot!

Mike has a nice black cherry in beaver sitting in his display case and what a beauty. There's also a FEPSA wild hare blend (?) in dark brown done up in an Indy style in the same case. What a sweet hand on that one. It feels as velvety as most beaver felt in my limited experience.

We just got back from Mike's shop this afternoon. I picked up my Dobbs Temptation on which Mike replaced the bad (greasy?), deteriorating, sweat band. Excellent work as usual. He also put it on the block to size it to my egg head. Nice fit now.

I took another hat in to be spruced up and my daughter got measured and dropped off her straw Panama hat to get a new sweatband and pug. She picked burgundy for the pug and black leather for the sweatband, and I think it'll turn out great. It's dyed straw with black, brown and what looks like burgundy or black cherry all in a Cuenca weave, and blocked in a western style.

Mr. Bob Roberts, paging Mr. Bob Roberts: Mike brought out your vintage felt so I could stroke it a little. I immediately asked if he had more. It seems you found a one of a kind vintage felt, Bob, and it is a DANDY. You're going to love your new hat!

i-P4GvpRJ-X2.jpg
Thanks, Doug! But don't get me started about jealousy, considering that you're within driving distance of all those great hat-makers in Oregon! I do think Natural is a nice color: Seems to go with just about everything put on. But I can attest that bone is great too; and I myself am considering sahara (or maybe camel--hey, they must be connected ;-)) for my next custom. Great pic of your daughter in the shop; and make sure you post photos of your refurb projects when they are completed.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
KY, my wife was looking over my shoulder and I told her that's the hat I was talking to Mike about, the one in natural beaver felt and she said, "Wow, you should get one like that for you!" Ha! How about that? She really likes the color of the undyed, natural beaver felt too.

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
KY, my wife was looking over my shoulder and I told her that's the hat I was talking to Mike about, the one in natural beaver felt and she said, "Wow, you should get one like that for you!" Ha! How about that? She really likes the color of the undyed, natural beaver felt too.
LOL! You should know by now to always defer to the missus on maters of style.

I should point out, however, that when I posted the photos here the colors turned out a little lighter than they did in the original ones I took: there is more of a grayish tint than is visible here.

Just arrived this past Tuesday. Natural undyed beaver felt with a 1 3/4" ribbon in Kangaroo (a type of a tan). Crown height is 5 1/2" when open; brim width is 2 5/8". The overall idea was inspired by Mr. Redfokker's 1942 Rose Bowl hat; but the whip-stitched edge treatment was added to the project after I viewed Mr. Bob Roberts posts of Mike's work in this capacity. The C-crown was put in by Mike (since he does such a fine job, I opted not to attempt to bash it myself this time). The felt is very thinly pounced, and it is superbly finished. I was quoted a 3-month wait, but in reality it was just a day or two over 2 months. This is my first hat from Mike, and will certainly not be my last! View attachment 61238 View attachment 61239 View attachment 61240 View attachment 61241 View attachment 61242 View attachment 61243 View attachment 61244
This one turned out spectacular! Looks kind of familiar, like my favorite hat :D I do like the the whip stitch treatment! Mike does a fine job, I'm pleased to call him my personal hatter!

i-P4GvpRJ-X2.jpg
Wow! your kid has better a better than most of us I bet! I hope to be stroking Bob's felt soon myself. I might just take a drive down to Eugene special just to touch it. Post pics of the refurb work.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Looks great KY. Im especially liking the headliner too. First time I ever saw a whipstitch was on the Borsa Como and I've loved it ever since as a nice alternative to a raw edge/unfinished brim.

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
This one turned out spectacular! Looks kind of familiar, like my favorite hat :D I do like the the whip stitch treatment! Mike does a fine job, I'm pleased to call him my personal hatter!
Thanks, Red! As I've said, without seeing your Rose Bowl hat, this never would have happened. However, I'm going to call mine a 1947 Rose Bowl hat (that is the year in the '40s when the Fighting Illini won the Rose Bowl). ;)

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
Looks great KY. Im especially liking the headliner too. First time I ever saw a whipstitch was on the Borsa Como and I've loved it ever since as a nice alternative to a raw edge/unfinished brim.
Thanks, Bob. I agree that the whip-stitch is a terrific way to go when you want something more subtle than a bound edge. And Mike does a terrific job with them. I 'm surprised we don't see more of this treatment.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Bob. I agree that the whip-stitch is a terrific way to go when you want something more subtle than a bound edge. And Mike does a terrific job with them. I 'm surprised we don't see more of this treatment.
I agree it can add a certain amount of casual vibe to a dressier hat and can dress up an everyday less formal hat a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21