Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Northwest Hats, Eugene, Ore.

Thanks, guys. This turned out better than I had imagined. I looked at 9 or 10 different ribbons and hundreds of pictures trying to decide what knot to put on the bow. It came down to two different bow knots I liked that Mike has done on his hats. This knot is the less used of the two and Mike did it just right. I'm about jumping out of my skin. It might go out in the mail tonight... tomorrow at the latest. I should have it here by Thursday or Friday depending on the shipper. WooHoo!
I do love that knot. Can't wait to see the noggin shots.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I just got off the phone with Mike. He's seen your picture. I agree with others, Admiral and Moon. Sahara sounds grand to me. Crown looks pretty tall... 6??? Also, a little stingy on the brim.... Crease and pinch as pictured by Slats. A great tribute to another person/piece of Oregon history, Red!
This Borsalino of mine, I think, has something of the same proportions:

CAM00365.jpg 30s_Borsa_01.jpg

If you like, FedOregon, I'll measure the crown height and brim and post tomorrow.

Also, the pic of Slats may be reversed, since the bow (or what passes for one) is on the right of the hat instead of the left. If we could see a bit more of his topcoat, we could tell if it buttoned left over right, as men's clothes do, or right over left, in which case we'd know this is a mirror image.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Please do post @Benzadmiral , although Red is the one wanting to clone the Slats Hat. Good catch on the reversed negative on the picture.

The turned up side brim is probably on the right then if the bow is actually on the left side. He made the hat his own with that crease.

This Borsalino of mine, I think, has something of the same proportions:

View attachment 69206 View attachment 69207

If you like, FedOregon, I'll measure the crown height and brim and post tomorrow.

Also, the pic of Slats may be reversed, since the bow (or what passes for one) is on the right of the hat instead of the left. If we could see a bit more of his topcoat, we could tell if it buttoned left over right, as men's clothes do, or right over left, in which case we'd know this is a mirror image.
It is very possible. We have a number of gelatin silver prints of this image, which was used in OSU publications, I'll have to look and see if we have the original unaltered negative still. Good eye my friend.

I reversed the image in Photoshop. It makes more sense this orientation. The reversed image was probably done to match up with other poses on the page when published. I'll have to look at the Beaver Yearbook where it was published when I get to work this morning.

Slats Reversed.jpg
I also covet that coat he is wearing as well.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mike just sent me pics of my Silverbelly/Old Copper beauty. Crown was 5-1/2" open, with dimensional brim of 2-1/2" front & back, and sides at 2-3/8". Mike's finishing up my daughter's Cuenca "western style hat, finishing it off with a burgundy pug. I'M STOKED! I asked Mike to make a bow with 2 "wings" on both sides to somewhat resemble Alan's Vanzina of last week. I love it already. What a flashy number for spring!

i-wRkSR3x-L.jpg

i-Vd5nQnS-L.jpg

i-248JBgc-L.jpg

i-4c9KTQN-L.jpg
Oh that's nice, congrats!

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Flashy spring - no way, flashy all year fedora. Grand looking hat and bow. I too am taken with the bow on Alan's Vanzina. Can not wait to see pics of the hat in the wild.

Congrats, Eric -
Thanks Eric! Sorry I missed this post from yesterday. Flashy all year, I agree. I'm sure I'll wear it before March 21st. I doubt I'll be too wild in my outdoor adventures with this hat, but it will definitely see some use. I now have 3 "white" hats: My VS Silvermist/Burgundy, a 2nd hand Falcon Park Silverbelly/Silvery-Blue from a fellow FL'r, and this Silverbelly/Old Copper. I think I'm covered!

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Searching the Lounge and interwebs for other views and images. I think you are onto something. I'm also going to look at other photos of Slats Gill from his early career to spot this hat again. Most of the images are of him coaching inside a gym, so no hats.
Did you also notice the "turn" this hat has? The point of the front crown is aiming straight ahead but the front brim is off to the side, and with the right side brim turned up. A very unique crease.

I'm just guessing the color from the tone of the black and white photo, but anything from grey to tan is my take on it.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I do love that knot. Can't wait to see the noggin shots.
At first I thought about highlights, like the triple colored knots that Michael Gannon does. I do love those as seen on Rodolfo's hats. But then I thought, "No, forget the highlights. Let the ribbon and bow be the "flash" of the hat.... Go with a classic Mike Miller knot. It IS a NW Hat, right?" If I want that kind of knot I should have Michael make it for me.

So now I'm thinking, let a NW Hat be a NW Hat. Let a VS hat be a VS hat. Let a Gannon hat be a Gannon hat, and so on. If I get in line with Bob at Black Sheep, would I have him copy another hatter? Heck no.

I'll still take inspiration from vintage hats, but I think I need to let the chosen hatter be their own artist while working with me through the process.

At first I thought about highlights, like the triple colored knots that Michael Gannon does. I do love those as seen on Rodolfo's hats. But then I thought, "No, forget the highlights. Let the ribbon and bow be the "flash" of the hat.... Go with a classic Mike Miller knot. It IS a NW Hat, right?" If I want that kind of knot I should have Michael make it for me.

So now I'm thinking, let a NW Hat be a NW Hat. Let a VS hat be a VS hat. Let a Gannon hat be a Gannon hat, and so on. If I get in line with Bob at Black Sheep, would I have him copy another hatter? Heck no.

I'll still take inspiration from vintage hats, but I think I need to let the chosen hatter be their own artist while working with me through the process.
You are wise beyond your years my friend. I totally agree with this philosophy. I'm hoping for a VS special sharks gill in my near future.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Well, UPS is still on my "bad" list... they confirmed the hat would be delivered at the local UPS Store... I even got a text from UPS saying it had been delivered there. So I drove over there and they didn't have it. I stopped by the house on the way back to work and it had been delivered there. Good grief!

Anyway, I opened the boxes up and the Silverbelly/Old Copper hat is even better close up. Perfect construction, it is everything I envisioned and more. It's just so freakin' nice! I'm glad I went with the silverbelly and the old copper ribbon. I'm telling you, it really works together well. I went with a lower crown than my usual (5-1/2" open crown) and a bit shorter brim at 2-1/2" front/back and 2-3/8" on the sides. The smaller, sleeker profile is exactly what I wanted. No pics yet, maybe this weekend.

Mike also took the Cuenca straw "western" my daughter had appropriated last year and put in a leather sweatband, blocked it to her head shape and steamed in a little teardrop crease on top. Mike finished it off with a nice Burgundy pug. Looks nice and now it will fit her better and not scratch her forehead from the old nylon stitches and cloth sweat that it came with.

Very happy about the hats this afternoon. Next excuse I get, the SB/Old Copper is going for a walk with me around town. :D

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, UPS is still on my "bad" list... they confirmed the hat would be delivered at the local UPS Store... I even got a text from UPS saying it had been delivered there. So I drove over there and they didn't have it. I stopped by the house on the way back to work and it had been delivered there. Good grief!

Anyway, I opened the boxes up and the Silverbelly/Old Copper hat is even better close up. Perfect construction, it is everything I envisioned and more. It's just so freakin' nice! I'm glad I went with the silverbelly and the old copper ribbon. I'm telling you, it really works together well. I went with a lower crown than my usual (5-1/2" open crown) and a bit shorter brim at 2-1/2" front/back and 2-3/8" on the sides. The smaller, sleeker profile is exactly what I wanted. No pics yet, maybe this weekend.

Mike also took the Cuenca straw "western" my daughter had appropriated last year and put in a leather sweatband, blocked it to her head shape and steamed in a little teardrop crease on top. Mike finished it off with a nice Burgundy pug. Looks nice and now it will fit her better and not scratch her forehead from the old nylon stitches and cloth sweat that it came with.

Very happy about the hats this afternoon. Next excuse I get, the SB/Old Copper is going for a walk with me around town. :D
Whoa, Whoa, whoa, where's the head shot?

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
@Redfokker : Since you flipped the negative around in Photshop, I'm looking at the bash on the Slats hat and in that view it looks more like the front brim is lined up over his eyes, but the point/pinch of the crown is aiming off to his right. Then he has the right side brim flipped up. What a fabulous crease on that hat! Ol' Slats had some style and attitude goin' on there, Red.

Do you think you'll duplicate everything on this one, including the bash, or just the dimensions at first and ease into an assymetrical bash later on down the road?

Remember my Penman custom steel? The front crease got "pushed" and has that same effect (without the turned up right brim, though).

i-mPgThRQ-XL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner