Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nothing but Seamed Stockings

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Those look plenty long enough -- basically, they should be long enough to keep your garters taut, which for most of us would bring them to about mid thigh, but not so short that the garters strain and not so long that you have to pull your garter belt or girdle halfway up your chest to keep them tight.

A bit of tightness is also normal -- remember, these wont have the stretch of modern hosiery, so they might feel a bit odd until you get used to it. They actually do loosen up a bit with wear.

As far as keeping the seams straight, well, I try to center the heel with the seam up the back of my shoe, and attatch the rear garter as close to the back of the keyhole loop in the welt as possible. Other than that, just go it by eye -- with practice it'll become second nature and you'll be able to tell with just a backward glance in the mirror.

(And I think "Keep Your Garters Taut!" ought to become the official Powder Room Battle Cry.)

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
Phew. I thought I just had a case of thunder-thigh going! When I bought them, I guess I assumed they were more of a modern fit with vintage appeal. Thank you for the reassurance. I am going to wear them around the house tonight and get some wear into them. I am overall very pleased.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I second Lizzie's suggestions. When I put on my seamed stockings I'll try to get the seam in the middle of the back of my leg as I pull them up and then I'll run my hand along the back of my leg to check the straightness of the seam. As Lizzie said, after some practice it'll become second nature to you.
Looks like your cat enjoyed viewing your legs too. lol

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
PolkaDotMeggie said:
PLUS I don't think I lined the back seam up very well. How can you tell if it's crooked? Any suggestions on how to get it even?

The easiest way to do this is to center the seam over the heel, and then place your pointer finger over the seam. Pull the stocking up, following with your finger, essentially tracing a line up the back of your leg with your finger.

I never attach my garter right in the back next to the keyhole in the welt. I find that most back garters are not placed in this position, but part way between the back and the side. I attach the front first, and then position the back an inch or so to the side of the keyhole. I find that putting it right next to the keyhole means that the suspender isn't straight, and increases the likelihood that it will pull your stocking to the side.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
PolkaDotMeggie said:
Phew. I thought I just had a case of thunder-thigh going! When I bought them, I guess I assumed they were more of a modern fit with vintage appeal. Thank you for the reassurance. I am going to wear them around the house tonight and get some wear into them. I am overall very pleased.

That picture is great! The cat seems to like it lol

I did a little tutorial on stocking application on NVL cause I was bored.

LD

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
PolkaDotMeggie said:
and still not feel semi-embaressed. What can I say? I am a Lo- wannabe :eek:

Bwhahahaha... not everyone can get nekked in public without embaressment. Of course, with as much chocolate as I have been chomping on lately, maybe I should be a bit more embaressed! Hah!

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
PolkaDotMeggie said:

Looks like a great fit. Don't wear them too much with stockinged feet...can be hard on the soles of the stocking while walking around your house. Be sure to wear shoes, too!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
NoirDame said:
Looks like a great fit. Don't wear them too much with stockinged feet...can be hard on the soles of the stocking while walking around your house. Be sure to wear shoes, too!

It's also a surefire way to run your stockings. Never, ever walk around in stocking feet, especially if you have wooden floors. Put your shoes on right away. You never know what you could step on.

CassD

One of the Regulars
I have a question about the French heel, I guess it's called. I've seen pictures of women with the darker colored bit going way up above the top of the back of their shoes. I know that's how the stockings I bought are supposed to fit because I get the saggy ankle thing going on if I don't pull them up like that, but it just doesn't feel right to have that bit way up outside of my shoe. Can anyone tell me how they're supposed to be appropriately worn or if there are seamed stockings that are easily found that don't have that?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
CassD said:
I have a question about the French heel, I guess it's called. I've seen pictures of women with the darker colored bit going way up above the top of the back of their shoes. I know that's how the stockings I bought are supposed to fit because I get the saggy ankle thing going on if I don't pull them up like that, but it just doesn't feel right to have that bit way up outside of my shoe. Can anyone tell me how they're supposed to be appropriately worn or if there are seamed stockings that are easily found that don't have that?

Cass, it really just depends on the brand and the style. They're all different, but for the most part they'll all come up above the top of your shoe like that. Your best bet is to get a Havana heel, which is a Cuban heel shape only shorter, or to buy regular seamed stockings with no heel at all.

CassD

One of the Regulars
KittyT and Shrinking Violet: Thanks so much for the tips. I'm new to stockings so I wasn't even really sure if the triangle was supposed to show. It probably doesn't help that I have little feet and all I've tried so far are the one-size fits all ones that never seem to fit anyone right, lol.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Candied violets said:
Thank you NoirDame for your gracious and helpful response to my questions last week. I feel empowered to buy stockings now... once I get my next paycheck. ^_^

You're welcome. I hope you enjoy your stockings!

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
I really enjoyed your excellently illustrated tutorial, Lady Day.

Thanks for pointing out the idea about not walking around barefoot in stockings. I grew up in a home with hardwood floors and I practically had to carry clear nail polish with me all the time. My problem is that I always put my big toe through them :eusa_doh:

My newest challenge? Sucessfully getting all hooked up in under 10 minutes :p I appreciate all the tips on how to get the back straight. Now it is a matter of practice making perfect.

Lolita, I guess it is more a matter of confidence. I plan on stealing some of yours. Better lock it up at night :D

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I just bought my first pairs of FF stockings, ostensibly for a shoot, but I think they will get worn afterwards. I'm excited (pathetic I know!) to try 'proper' stockings for the first time!

Now if only my conjunctivitis would go away before Saturday I will be all set!:rolleyes:

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Congrats on your first pair of stockings Fleur! Once I started I could never go back. I opted out of wearing them with a dress one night and I felt so bizarre being bare-legged. Never again! :)

Good luck with the pink eye. I got it a few months back, it was so embarrassing wearing sunglasses indoors! :eusa_doh:

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
pigeon toe said:
Congrats on your first pair of stockings Fleur! Once I started I could never go back. I opted out of wearing them with a dress one night and I felt so bizarre being bare-legged. Never again! :)

Good luck with the pink eye. I got it a few months back, it was so embarrassing wearing sunglasses indoors! :eusa_doh:

Hehe, I haven't done that as I feel even sillier. But I was so paranoid going to work with no makeup on for the first time in my life!

I hope the stockings aren't baggy on my ankles, I've never worn non-stretch before. I live in WKD's faux seamed stockings, which are 100% nylon but the thread is twisted so they stretch, though I actually long for the day when I don't have to because it's summer. I have no qualms about going bare-legged in summer!

Mojito

One Too Many
They do get noticed! I was at a deco event in New Zealand, and the one girl I must have run into wearing 1950s vintage stopped me and asked where I'd found nude ff stockings - she'd been looking everywhere for them. I directed her to the on-line sites that had been posted in this thread, and mentioned I'd had the same problem. I can find black seamed pantyhose in Sydney, but any black stockings or nude stockings or pantyhose I have to order online.

CassD

One of the Regulars
Scarlet Belle said:
Hi ITG

Not a silly question, at all! Mum reckons she use to be able to buy a "liquid stocking" product which was basically just a paint on tan colour, then the gals would use an eyebrow pencil to draw the line - either in black or brown...then off they'd go to jitterbug the night away.

I was just going back a bit to look through some of the links to places to buy stockings and saw this. Within the past two or three years, "liquid" stockings have started to come back in fashion. I think it's because so many women hate that sausage feeling when they try to get into a pair of panty hose, which is why I prefer the stockings myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany