Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nothing but Seamed Stockings

D

Deleted member 3716

i was just in a vintage shop around the corner from where i work buying a skirt i couldn't afford (its not even vintage but its exactly what i was looking for...)
anyway, i asked the woman behind the counter if they had any vintage nylons for sale.
she disappeared in the back and came out with 4 pairs.
i was looking through them and asked how much they were and she said i could have them for free as she'd like them to go to someone who'd appreciate them!!!!

how nice is that???!!!!!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
paula said:
she disappeared in the back and came out with 4 pairs.
i was looking through them and asked how much they were and she said i could have them for free as she'd like them to go to someone who'd appreciate them!!!!

And they were your size too?!?

D

Deleted member 3716

dunno yet.
they are just wrapped in tissue so i cant see a size.
i took one pair out and they look about right. [huh]

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
paula said:
dunno yet.
they are just wrapped in tissue so i cant see a size.
i took one pair out and they look about right. [huh]

Well I hope they fit! That was awfully nice of her. Otherwise, I'm sure someone here would be willing to take them off your hands for you lol

Maja

New in Town
Stockings that fit really well

Hi there ladies,

I was wondering if anyone with legs the size of mine 32 inches from crotch to floor and thighs 23,5 inches at the widest point, could share what kind of FF stockings the buy and what size.

I have bought large from Secrets in lace and pair # one was ok, pair # two were too long and that wasn't very nice.

Then I bought medium from Magnolia Hosiery and I think they are both a bit on the short side and too narrow at the welt, but perhaps the sizing is different from that of Secrets in Lace.

Help is needed, please.

Thank you for a great forum.

Maja

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Hi Maja!

I use slightly more expensive brands (not vintage though! I apologize in advance, if that was given, that your stockings should be vintage). I prefer Wolford and Dim, since they have amazing fit and just lasts and lasts.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Try checking out the extensive FF sizing chart at http://www.stockingshowcase.com/sizing.asp.

Also, try buying FF that are actually sized. FF fit is very specific to foot size - I can't imagine how anyone can buy FF stockings that are just sized S,M,L. Seems like you'd never get a stocking that fit!

My suggestion is to calculate your size from the chart and look for a pair in your size on Ebay. Remember that FF will stretch in width a bit when you put them on.

Also, please check out the Seamed Stockings thread. There is a lot of info in there already!

Folly

One of the Regulars
Straight Seams

I'm sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere but I was reading a book yesterday and they gave a tip to keep seams straight.

Apply a thin layer of vaseline to the back of the leg, exactly where you wish the seam to lay and it should stay put.

I haven't tried it myself yet, but it seems fool proof.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Folly said:
I'm sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere but I was reading a book yesterday and they gave a tip to keep seams straight.

Apply a thin layer of vaseline to the back of the leg, exactly where you wish the seam to lay and it should stay put.

Interesting. I've found, though, that if you can get stockings on straight in the first place, they will stay put if you're wearing a girdle (as opposed to a standard garter belt) and your stockings fit correctly.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I'm getting a little seam drift with my Rago cincher as its just four straps - but its not too bad. The key is definitely getting them straight in the first place as KittyT says.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
I'm getting a little seam drift with my Rago cincher as its just four straps - but its not too bad. The key is definitely getting them straight in the first place as KittyT says.

I can see how the cinchers would do that, as the back strap sits over the curve of your bum - and therefore would be likely to slip. I've had no problems with regular open-bottomed or panty girdles, even with only 4 straps.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
I see what you mean, shame that girdles make me look even fatter than I am. I'm all stomach and no hips me

I know the feeling - girdles just kindof smuch in the hips! Maybe just pair your waist cincher with some kind of light control brief so that you get a smooth line without pulling in your hips too much. I use the Rago diet minded brief girdle and have been happy with it. Then again, if you wear full skirts, all you need is the waist cinching, since the skirt's fullness will hide any lumps and bumps around the hips. Also, fuller skirts do wonders for making your waist look smaller!

I'm going to pick up my Rago waist cincher today! I'll definitely keep in mind what you said about stocking-shifting with this item.

Mary

Practically Family
I've got some old stockings with backseam but I rarely use them. I find it so hard to get them straight. Are there any tips and tricks for it?

I've tried to look in a mirror to se how my legs look. And I have tried to follow the seam and not look at all.

Have you any photos on perfectly straight backseams? I have only seen painted commecials and that's not the same as in reality. I think the hardest part is just below the knees and over the knees. Have you got a point you aim at? And are they supposed to be on the middle or slightly to the inner side of the leg?

Love to get this straightened out! So I can strut my stuff when summer deceides to show up.

M

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Mary said:
I've got some old stockings with backseam but I rarely use them. I find it so hard to get them straight. Are there any tips and tricks for it?

Seams should go straight up the middle of the heel and be centered up the back of the leg. The easiest way to achieve this is to take your index finger and hold it right over the seam. As you're putting on your stockings, keep your finger over the seam and use it to draw a line straight up the back of your leg. This should help you get the placement right. Using this technique made it much easier for me to get my seams straight!

playbelle

New in Town
Mary said:
Lady Day has quite a comprehensive guide on how to put on stockings on her website. Perhaps she has more tricks up her sleeve on getting the seams straight as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany