Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Novice seeking the best fedora

classyrik

New in Town
Greetings. The folks at 'Ask Andy' guided me to your lounge. It's probably a question oft-heard by you, but can anyone recommend the very best and classiest black fedora around (perferably in NYC, but not required)?
I loved the $320 black fedoras at Turnbull & Asser (London-made), but they seem to take months to get them in stock.
Thanks in advance for any input.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I have a black hat from Village Hat Shop that did not even cost $100 (although they make a classier one with better fur felt for $200) and I get more compliments on that hat than any fedora I have. It is called the Bogart and black is definitely the color you want.

www.villagehatshop.com

I also have a lovely navy blue fedora I got from Gladhatter. It is the softest and nicest hat I have.

karol

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
The differences between my black Bogart and the GH blue fedora, besides price, is quality of fur felt. The blue fedora is soft to the touch, seems to resists water beautifully, and will last through several generations if taken care of. It was made to fit my head perfectly and it does. The Bogart is a decent hat, not as soft by a long shot, but not stiff, either. I would not want to get caught in a downpour in it. It will probably last my lifetime, if I take care of it. I am not young. If I had had the money at the time, I would have purchased the $200 Bogart that VHS offers, although I do not see it online.

To get a hat like GH or Optimo makes would probably kill off $500; the Bogart was $84. There are some hatmakers here on the lounge who can probably make you a hat for a lot less than GH or Optimo.

It is a matter of how much you want to spend and what quality you would like. There are folks here who can tell you about the quality of fur felt better than I can. We all have our opinions on what we personally like.

Many of us like to bid on hats on ebay, but the bidding can be furious when a good vintage hat is being bid on. Art's Vintage Silhouettes has some great vintage hats at a great price, and you don't have to bid on them.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran