Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
For those that are looking, it appears Eureka Arsenal may have what you are looking for. They have a pretty good selection through the decades from the 1870's up to the 1911 campaign hat. Plus, a variety of other trappings to go with said campaign hat. Prices seem fairly reasonable too. They offer most of their hats in either the wool felt or fur felt options. Worth a look anyway.

I'm liking the looks of the 1889 & 1899 hats respectively.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Ask and ye shall receive.
100_7604.jpg

The fit is good & the sweatband is a nice one. It is a very soft hat so the brim will deform when put on ones head. I'm diging on it.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys, most appreciated.

1961MJS, if you haven't already, could you post a couple of pics of said campaign hats? Would love to see them.

Got a good wearing out of this one today. Quite comfortable. Still needs a bit of a stretch from front to back, but other than that it is a decent fit. I wen't with the 7 3/8, and I think it is a snug fitting 7 3/8. But, I think that if I went with their 7 1/2 it would have floated a lot even with stuffing under the sweatband.

The sweat band is great leather, and the smell of it reminds me of the tack and saddle shopI used to go to back home. It is quite soft but does hold it's shape well. When I'm working out in the field I can pop the front of the brim up to look through the instrument scope so I don't have to take my hat off all the time. Big plus there.

Cheers!

Dan

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's been years since I started this thread, but my love for the 19th century campaign hat continues and I hope to post some shots of my latest project, a re-furb of an Akubra Snowy River to Campaign hat status.

dean

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
I loved reading this thread. It inspired me to attempt to make my own campaign hat.

I used a snowy river I picked up at goodwill for $15.

Before:
20120928_210715.jpg

After:
20121201_143811-1.jpg

20121201_143921.jpg

All I really did was reshape the crown and flatten the brim a little. I'm not talented enough to stitch the brim or punch the vents in the side. I love this hat. So much so that I got one for my battle-buddy.
IMG_0728.jpg

deanglen

M1883 Campaign Hat from Akubra Snowy River E-Bay find.

So It's done. First some shots of what I first purchased:
KGrHqRjgFB93NWemSBQqEgp4UPQ60_57.jpg

KGrHqNlMFCS0VzQdBQqEg8ISlg60_57.jpg

Then, after adding new ribbon, 1/4" brass mesh vents and two rows of stitching to the brim edge, and and a brim trim to a tapered brim, 2 3/4" front and back, 3" on the sides, and voila!, a convincing repro of an M1883 Campign hat:
1209121314.jpg

1209121315.jpg

1209121315a.jpg

1209121315b.jpg

1209121315c.jpg

1209121316a.jpg

dean

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

Lookin' good Cattus Petasatus (very clever, paying Geisel's estate royalties? )... you too li'l buddy, I'm likin' the stars! lol and welcome aboard to you both!

deanglen- WOW!- nice to see you again, m'man! Since when are you a guest? [huh]

deanglen

Looks great Dean. How'd you do the vents?

Bought them on -line from a site called "Fez-o-rama", which sells them to put in fezzes. Had to get a tool to crimp them from Walmart. The M1883 had those size vents. M1889 and later hats either had the punched hole pattern vent or "quarter" sized brass mesh vents. Check the Eureka Arsenal site. Good info and nice hats there.

dean

deanglen

Update. Further research into the M1883 Campaign hat indicates that it had blackened brass vents, so using a sharpie marker, I tinted the vents 'black', not wanting the heavy effect of black paint. The effect is wonderful. It also appears that there is no genuine M1883 hat left in existence, making it a true rarity.
1209122155.jpg

1883pic-1.jpg

dean

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou