Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

liten

One of the Regulars
ho troopers if your looking the ideal candidate for your campaign hat build, the bailys new wet series is the one to get! ive just finished a black 76 hat with one , and its the ideal height and block shape, ( post a pic soon)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Uff da! Another failure. Apparently Greeley hat works is not above putting out cheap crap hats alongside their high end hats. That or they just charge way to much for cheap crap hats. This hat started with a few problems. The felt is wool, not fur. The seller said that, and I was hoping he just didn't know his felt, but he did. So naturally it is thick as a sheet of plywood, and as stiff as one, too. I soaked it in denatured alcohol for a while, and when it came out it had no only softened, but lost almost any semblance of shape. I think the wool decompressed a little, too, so it looks even thicker now!

It was too brown to begin with, though, so I even though it was a crap hat I continued on just to have something to practice on. I think I'll still add the vents, so I know how to do it, but this is destined for the trash bin. Oh, well. Back to ebay for a better candidate!

liten

One of the Regulars
Uff da! Another failure. Apparently Greeley hat works is not above putting out cheap crap hats alongside their high end hats. That or they just charge way to much for cheap crap hats. This hat started with a few problems. The felt is wool, not fur. The seller said that, and I was hoping he just didn't know his felt, but he did. So naturally it is thick as a sheet of plywood, and as stiff as one, too. I soaked it in denatured alcohol for a while, and when it came out it had no only softened, but lost almost any semblance of shape. I think the wool decompressed a little, too, so it looks even thicker now!

It was too brown to begin with, though, so I even though it was a crap hat I continued on just to have something to practice on. I think I'll still add the vents, so I know how to do it, but this is destined for the trash bin. Oh, well. Back to ebay for a better candidate!

what size are you? theres 3 bailys hats on ebay, in the regal series , but there rather small 63/4

liten

One of the Regulars
$T2eC16d,!w0FI,GNBeFzBSQPMN,EnQ~~60_1.jpg
what size are you? theres 3 bailys hats on ebay, in the regal series , but there rather small 63/4

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Just a few days into this conversion project, to convert an old Stetson into an 1889 Campaign hat. A $20 eBay find, Stetson No.1 Quality, with a cattleman crown. I started with a steam rebash, matched to originals, and flattened the brim to taste. The first snowflake was done on the bow side (photo attached), second one to be completed today. The snowflake was done freehand in pencil, from photos of original pieces, then punched with a sewing needle heated up red hot with a candle. I'll be finishing with trimming the brim down to 3" (currently 3.5"), and adding three rows of edge stitching in matching thread. I'll be sending it out for the correct ribbon and sweatband. Take a look:
1451441_10100748197727656_1123853488_n.jpg

-Max

Last edited:

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just a few days into this conversion project, to convert an old Stetson into an 1889 Campaign hat. A $20 eBay find, Stetson No.1 Quality, with a cattleman crown. I started with a steam rebash, matched to originals, and flattened the brim to taste. The first snowflake was done on the bow side (photo attached), second one to be completed today. The snowflake was done freehand in pencil, from photos of original pieces, then punched with a sewing needle heated up red hot with a candle. I'll be finishing with trimming the brim down to 3" (currently 3.5"), and adding three rows of edge stitching in matching thread. I'll be sending it out for the correct ribbon and sweatband. Take a look:
View attachment 6403

-Max

Magnificent job! Really well done! Love to see more pics of the finished hat!

dean

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Magnificent job! Really well done! Love to see more pics of the finished hat!

dean

Dean, thank you.

I finished the second snowflake this afternoon, photos below. Also, I did a quick test today to see if my Singer machine could handle doing the edge stitching, and pleasantly found that it's more than capable. Incidentally, it's a hand crank model from about 1900, so I'm going for full authenticity! 1/8" brim edge trimmer is on order and should be here next week, just a few passes with that and I'll be down to 3". Sweatband and ribbon I may send out to have done.

IMG_20131127_140152_062.jpg IMG_20131127_140207_088.jpg

-Max

deanglen

Dean, thank you.

I finished the second snowflake this afternoon, photos below. Also, I did a quick test today to see if my Singer machine could handle doing the edge stitching, and pleasantly found that it's more than capable. Incidentally, it's a hand crank model from about 1900, so I'm going for full authenticity! 1/8" brim edge trimmer is on order and should be here next week, just a few passes with that and I'll be down to 3". Sweatband and ribbon I may send out to have done.

View attachment 6410 View attachment 6411

-Max

Max,

Looking good! Thanks for the extra shots! That vent job is sublime! Your machine should be able to handle the sweatband, since you'll be using relatively thin leather! BTW a ribbon seller called Britex has tremendous rayon 5/8" grosgrain ribbon. It sits well around the hat body, almost like silk grosgrain, and is very supple. They have many shades of it. They have a website. I'd recommend a shade called "Bittersweet".

dean

liten

One of the Regulars
View attachment 6403

-Max
great job! looks just like the way the hats issued

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I hereby respectfully submit my application form to Join the Corps!

IMG_1185_zpscc83e952.jpg

IMG_1186_zps68332c30.jpg

A little too modern I know but the cords right and the emblem is a "vintage" WW1 9th Cavalry Unit Pin. The ribbon hell apart on me. Sigh oh well. Hope it's good enough.

Worf

deanglen

I hereby respectfully submit my application form to Join the Corps!

IMG_1185_zpscc83e952.jpg

IMG_1186_zps68332c30.jpg

A little too modern I know but the cords right and the emblem is a "vintage" WW1 9th Cavalry Unit Pin. The ribbon hell apart on me. Sigh oh well. Hope it's good enough.

Worf

Dave,

Love the montana peak! Good looking headgear!

dean

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
I was a Cavalry Scout when I was a young man. 1/3 Armored Cav Rgt, 1/1 Cav, 1st Rgmt of Dragoons and others. Some days I miss it. Most days I like sleeping in my own bed. I think I'm getting old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn