Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Occupations

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No doubt about it...

Pan Am Clipper pilot on a big beautiful Martin M-130 or Sikorsky S-42. That was the Golden Era of aviation.
clippercrew.jpg

In the '40's I would have transitioned to big beautiful bombers - the B-17 Flying Fortress. And I wouldn't live to see jets! ;)

-dixon cannon

ledsled

One of the Regulars
railway

My first thought was to be a station master or a mail sorter. The railroads offered job security and some prestige to boot. I have to admit that I'd like to pilot a flying boat though! I don't think that would have the job security, but boy it sure would have prestige and be exciting.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Radio scriptwriter!

Maybe I could have gotten lucky and succeeded with my own nightly 15-minute comedy serial about life in a small Maine town -- I tried to get a such a project off the ground in 1986, but I imagine it'd have done a lot better in 1936!

And I'd have stuck with it into the late '40s, and then sold my rights to CBS for a bundle and retired, only to see the network turn my lovingly-crafted little show into a lame half-hour sitcom that bombed on television. Such was all too often the case...

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
I'd still be an artist, for the same reasons I am now: I hope to add to the quality of aesthetics in the world around me, whatever time I am in.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Assistant on the RKO or Paramount lot trying to make it in the movie industry. :D

I take the red car to work from the valley, and have lunch at Schwab's in Hollywood. Boy what a life!

Baggers

Practically Family
Easy choice. Performing LizzieMaine's scripts! Making a living as a voice actor in the 30's and 40's would be great. Then, during the 50s I could transition into TV as a character actor. I would have invested in real estate and later made millions during the post war housing boom, but I still would have worked as an actor until I dropped dead at a ripe old age.

Cheers!

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
I've thought about this way too many times.

I'm leaning more towards....eccentric old money playboy... NO WORK FOR ME!!!!!!

or

Modernist Artist...

or

Cowboy/Farmer

or

Some kind of musician/singer(not that I can do either..except kazoo)

or

...well, this ones illegal.

Oh well, back to work for me...:( :( :(

funneman

Practically Family
I'd be writing and performing radio scripts with LizzieMaine and Baggers.

Then I would have gone Beatnik and turned my back on the establishment in the late 50's after the two of them left me for fame and fortune in Television.

Not bitter, mind you, I probably would segued into stand-up comedy in a Lenny Bruce-without the heroin-kinda thing.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I would love to be a movie star. Why? well, I know I would love the limelight, but most of all to be able to star in movies with men such as Cary Grant, Humphrey Bogart and to wear fabulous dresses and jewelry. I'd be in heaven :D

Irena

One of the Regulars
In any era, I'd like to be a mother and a housewife, but if I went for a career: Postmaster in a small town.

I would know everybody's business (though I wouldn't share or discuss it) and wouldn't be lacking for company throughout the day. Plus, I love to sort things!

I've always wanted to man a lookout tower in a national forest over the summer, something you were allowed to do in high-school back in the day (or so I gather from one of my old novels). All alone in the woods, taking care of yourself. What could be better?

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I'd be a costumer for Hollywood films. A sweeter Edith Head, if you would.

But I do like the idea of working with Ms. Lizzie Maine on her radio show. Ooh! Makes me want to rent "Radio Days" over Labor Day weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner