Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh no! Talon zipper on Aero 38-1711-P stuck

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Oh no! I've only had this Aero A2 for a month or so and the zipper is already stuck. I hear it is a common problem with the original Talons. Has anyone else experienced it and can you suggest any solutions? (Soap doesn't seem to work.) Big disappointment if I have to send it back to the factory. I was just getting ready to wear it in the spring and summer. See pic below. SJ

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Suprised here too, I've an original Talon on my A2 (daily wear) that's been faultless in the 4 years I've owned it.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Problem is, it's misaligned. Thought I was going to get stuck in the bloody thing. Had a doctor's appointment, which would have been pretty tough if they'd wanted to hear me cough or anything.

D

Deleted member 16736

My original Talon is working great, but I've only had it for a week. Is this what I have to look forward to?

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Message from Ken....

It's an operater error, easy fix (2 minutes) but not for the unexperienced, we'll send it back by return complete with full instructions for using a Hookless zipper, they are very strong but need to be secured properly at the box before zipping.

You MUST NOT try to force the puller back down the zipper teeth.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Might be necessary to remove the top 'stop' from the 'male' side (prising it apart), remove the slider from that side (carefully) then slide it down again. Replace the stop (crimp it tight) and you're done.
Try the simpler routes first though.
Good luck!

some guy

New in Town
Might be necessary to remove the top 'stop' from the 'male' side (prising it apart), remove the slider from that side (carefully) then slide it down again. Replace the stop (crimp it tight) and you're done.
Try the simpler routes first though.
Good luck!

I had a problem like this with a repro tanker jacket - the zip wasn't locking. I took it to a tailor who squeezed the top and bottom of the zip together slightly which sorted it. She said if I had any more problems she could replace the moving part for a fiver. A few months later I had the same problem so I thought I would have a go at replacing it myself. I pulled a more robust part off an old fleece, then as mentioned above, took the top stop off, fitted the replacement slider on, and re-crimped the stop. It works perfeectly now, and should be good for a few years yet.

This might not help Sir Jacket but might be handy for future reference.

I have a Waldes on the GW Ventura. I'm happy I don't zip much as it's a PITA. Many of the old or repro ones tend to be. Just takes some real concentration for a while...
BTW - don't use pencil (graphite) as it's messy and a b**** to get off of clothing/hands. Use clear candle wax if you need something. But most in the know say just use it a lot to get it worn-in...

Plumbline

One Too Many
I know they're authentic 1920's ......

but I REALLY don't like the old hookless fastener design ....... maybe it's just "operator error" but my experience with two old leather jackets was that they were difficult to use (fiddly unless you could clearly see what you were doing) ... and incredibly unreliable ... having your bike jacket unravel from the bottom up mid ride is NOT a good thing.

Hopefully you get it fixed without having to send it back ( I was much more mechanically unsympathetic and had one of mine replaced with a more modern ( still old Talon) traditional zipper ... Jim Aird in Bishops Auckland did the work ... sacrilidge I know on an original jacket but back then I didn't know any better :)

Learn how to fix it though ... because my experience is it will happen again ... and again ... and again :( ( or maybe I just didn't learn how to do it right )

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Message from Ken....

It's an operater error, easy fix (2 minutes) but not for the unexperienced, we'll send it back by return complete with full instructions for using a Hookless zipper, they are very strong but need to be secured properly at the box before zipping.

You MUST NOT try to force the puller back down the zipper teeth.

"Operator error" – it's a zip! OK, the zip is faulty so I'm going to have to return it. And I was just beginning to like that jacket...

schitzo

Suspended
would this be the same zipper that's on the Original Hercules? I found that thing a bit tricky too. Sure it's a simple enough thing to operate properly, but when you're not used to focusing on the lining it up correctly part doing so doesn't come naturally.

Good luck SJ

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
That wasn't meant to be patronising, the same thing happened to me when I try to use one before... they take a bit of getting used to! It's not a faulty zip, but send it back and we'll fix it and send it straight back to you.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm still currently sporting the 'tongue stuck out in concentration' look when I'm zipping up my hookless, which I understand it's a real winner with the ladies. Hoping this will pass in a couple of weeks...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy