Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh no! Talon zipper on Aero 38-1711-P stuck

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Has to be a reason why the 'Hookless' was superseded by the 'hooked' version (whether Talon, Crown or Conmar, etc.)...?
Quaint yes, 'period' certainly, but practical? Not if your poking your tongue out trying to align it...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I still have an issue with the back-to-front thing for US zippers tbh.:D A small price to pay though. The grommet and stitching that comes with the more stripped-down hookless adds to overall look for me. Small detail, but makes a difference. I just need to remember to always pull the left-hand edge down properly.

"Operator error" – it's a zip! OK, the zip is faulty so I'm going to have to return it. And I was just beginning to like that jacket...
Yeah, it really is operator error, but the thing we're operating is the equivalent of an Edsel. I'm just glad I don't use it often. I feel like a dope standing there for 10 mins and finally give up :eeek:

majormajor

One Too Many
I still have an issue with the back-to-front thing for US zippers tbh.:D A small price to pay though. The grommet and stitching that comes with the more stripped-down hookless adds to overall look for me. Small detail, but makes a difference. I just need to remember to always pull the left-hand edge down properly.

Most of my jackets are US made (or have US zippers), so I have a problem with UK zippers!:eeek:;)

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
That wasn't meant to be patronising, the same thing happened to me when I try to use one before... they take a bit of getting used to! It's not a faulty zip, but send it back and we'll fix it and send it straight back to you.

OK, Holly, the zip isn't working so I'm returning the jacket. Thanks, a speedy reply would be much appreciated.

SJ

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Of course, we'll get it seen to straight away. Sorry for your trouble, I'll send you a mail and we'll refund your postage to us too.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
In all honesty, You might think Im being a Troll by Sayin so but....

when I have a Jammed up Zip, I can usually dislodge it by Just YANKING on it with Sheer Brutal force if nothing else works such as Lubricating it up, WW2 Guys would sometimes use Graphite or Soap FYI. and I mean unless its an original Jacket with a Pristine Zipper, I dont care..you can always replace the zipper, parts is parts.

I have a Nylon B-52 Style hooded Bomber jacket with a YKK heavy guage zip that usually Jams up in the Collar Area, Just zip it up a couple teeth to set it, then Wiggle it down, But in your Case you might wanna Just put your War face on and YANK HARD!

YYEAARRGH!!!

It has worked for me with Sleeping bags with Talon Zips, Just dont pull out the Teeth going too too hard and you might be in luck.

theres such a fine line between Fixing something and breaking something isnt there..:D

Worf

I'll Lock Up
In all honesty, You might think Im being a Troll by Sayin so but....

when I have a Jammed up Zip, I can usually dislodge it by Just YANKING on it with Sheer Brutal force if nothing else works such as Lubricating it up, WW2 Guys would sometimes use Graphite or Soap FYI. and I mean unless its an original Jacket with a Pristine Zipper, I dont care..you can always replace the zipper, parts is parts.

I have a Nylon B-52 Style hooded Bomber jacket with a YKK heavy guage zip that usually Jams up in the Collar Area, Just zip it up a couple teeth to set it, then Wiggle it down, But in your Case you might wanna Just put your War face on and YANK HARD!

YYEAARRGH!!!

It has worked for me with Sleeping bags with Talon Zips, Just dont pull out the Teeth going too too hard and you might be in luck.

theres such a fine line between Fixing something and breaking something isnt there..:D

I understand your frustration, I too am of the "brute force" school in many things. But that being said I'd be loathe to "get all yanky' on a $1,000 piece of jacket ah just had made. Force hase it's time and it's place but here I believe discretion is the better part of valor. I personally would give it to the local leather lady and let her straighten it out.

Worf

Stand By

One Too Many
I understand your frustration, I too am of the "brute force" school in many things. But that being said I'd be loathe to "get all yanky' on a $1,000 piece of jacket ah just had made. Force hase it's time and it's place but here I believe discretion is the better part of valor. I personally would give it to the local leather lady and let her straighten it out

I agree with Dumpster Diver and Worf.
My NOS Talon has become misaligned and locked up on my ELC B3 a good few times - but always when I get my jacket on for a pre-dawn, pre-coffee dog walk and I'm not fully awake and am dressing on auto-pilot ...! So the blame is always with me.
The option of returning a jacket from out here (Canada) isn't an option, so I resort to brute force - and forcefully work that puller down to the box and force it through ... no, it's not ideal and yes, there are a few moments of fretting - but it always works in the end for me in the end and my sigh of relief is always a big one.
And the zip performs beautifully at all other times. I love it on that jacket.

That said though, I did order an Aero zip for my ANJ-3 to avoid this risk and I must say, it's never once let me down yet. It's as smooth as butter and looks the part too.
But as Aero are kindly offering to fix the problem and return the jacket at their cost, well I think that's a very generous offer and one to be gratefully accepted. There's no need to risk buggering anything up unneccessarily.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
but I REALLY don't like the old hookless fastener design ....... maybe it's just "operator error" but my experience with two old leather jackets was that they were difficult to use (fiddly unless you could clearly see what you were doing) ... and incredibly unreliable ... having your bike jacket unravel from the bottom up mid ride is NOT a good thing.
I've had 2 Eastman Hooklesses fail - one unrecoverably, due to weak metal. The other needs extra finesse to fasten as it's missing the first 2 teeth up from the pin, due to weak webbing!

The metal mountings and rivet/grommet reinforcements are nice looking and work. Too abd they're not available on a stronger product.

Worf said:
I personally would give it to the local leather lady and let her straighten it out.
I wish I had a local leather lady to, uh, straighten things out.
4595961648_69848bb963_z.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy