Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh the Stigma with wearing seamed fully fashioned stockings!

phyllis1753

New in Town
:eek:fftopic: Helen, the Marine Corps is a branch of the U. S. Navy (not that many Marines like to admit it :) ) and is mainly responsible for conducting the Navy's military operations on land. Sailors conduct military operations at sea. That's the main difference. The point of my tongue-in-cheek reply was that sailors and marines see themselves as completely seperate entities and don't like to be confused with each other. The uniforms are different, the rank titles are different, the traditions are different yet both work for the same outfit. The rivalry between the two is, largely, good natured. Sailors want to be recognized as sailors, NOT as marines. It's all a part of developing esprit de corps in the young recruit. It's a very complex topic but I hope this gets you started.

Cheers,
Phyllis

Stephy Wilecat

New in Town
You know, I never actually knew that seamed stockings had such connotations, but I found out a about 2 years ago when I wore seamed stockings to work when I worked at a real estate agency.
I didn't get why the older lady said "oooh stephanie, you're looking sexy with those seams today!" she pointed them out to another older lady who exclaimed "who are you trying to impress eh?"
I later found out that one of the guys that worked there, who was only a few years older than me, admitted to staring at my legs whenever I walked around the office and when I reached for things.

I mean, if that were to happen to me now I'd be grinning like crazy, but back then, it was all quite strange.

Nashoba

One Too Many
phyllis1753 said:
:eek:fftopic: Helen, the Marine Corps is a branch of the U. S. Navy (not that many Marines like to admit it :) ) and is mainly responsible for conducting the Navy's military operations on land. Sailors conduct military operations at sea. That's the main difference. The point of my tongue-in-cheek reply was that sailors and marines see themselves as completely seperate entities and don't like to be confused with each other. The uniforms are different, the rank titles are different, the traditions are different yet both work for the same outfit. The rivalry between the two is, largely, good natured. Sailors want to be recognized as sailors, NOT as marines. It's all a part of developing esprit de corps in the young recruit. It's a very complex topic but I hope this gets you started.

Cheers,
Phyllis

:eek:fftopic:
Ok I'm a little late to this one but Phyllis pretty much nailed it. The Marines have long been considered a 'shock force' and are knows as the 'first to fight' on land, air, AND sea. The germans nicknamed them 'Devil Dogs' in the first world war because they would fight to the death and against ridiculous odds. In Bella Wood alone they fought being ridiculously outnumbered and WON. And you're right, they don't like to be confused with the Navy and they REALLY don't like to be called soldiers. On Navy ships they are typically responsible for security forces and for executing the land operations from the Navy ships (ie amphibious landings). The Marine Corps has a tradition of being the first in to secure the sittuation and bring it under control to be handed over to the Army for holding and occupation. And Marines will tell you that they are the Men's Department of the Navy and that the Navy are just floating taxicabs for the Marine Corps.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Got it: If I ever meet a marine I will not call him sailor or soldier! Thanks for the info, I really love this place for that: No matter what you wonder, people will answer you!:)

Nashoba

One Too Many
Helen Troy said:
Got it: If I ever meet a marine I will not call him sailor or soldier! Thanks for the info, I really love this place for that: No matter what you wonder, people will answer you!:)

lol, Amen! I come here first now when I'm trying to find answers to something...almost anything...it's amazing the wealth of knowledge here!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I actually have a kind of cute fully fashioned stocking story.
Last Saturday my family had a huge birthday party for my Granny's 88th birthday. She lives in a retirement community just outside of Boston.
I didn't wear vintage clothing, more like classically styled, but I did wear some vintage accessories and fully fashioned stockings with a french heel.
Being that it was at a retirement community, there were quite a few elderly ladies there. One of them spotted my stockings as I was talking to some of my cousins at the table next to theirs. She grabbed my arm and pulled me over to all of her girlfriends, so she could point out my stockings. Being that she was old and a bit hard of hearing she was shouting. All the women loved them. They couldn't believe that someone of my generation would wear such a thing. They reminisced for a few minutes about their younger years. They told me some stories of embarrassing stocking incidents that they had when they were young. It was so nice to see the way their faces lit up when they started talking about the old times. I was very glad that something so minute to me as a pair of stockings would bring back so many happy memories for them. I was a bit embarrassed because when she pointed out my stockings to her friends, the whole room heard and every eye was on my legs. Even more uncomfortable because this was after all family!!! But even funnier was the younger girls in the room all wanted to know where they could get a pair of stockings like mine! I thought that was cool.

My Granny has a computer room where she lives and I guess after the party she took her friends over to a computer and pulled up my web page with some of my vintage pictures. She said that they all got a kick out of it and they thought it was great that I, and other people have a passion for the 30's and 40's.

On another note it was a wonderful party. My Granny was glowing the whole time, she couldn't believe so many people (there were about 60 of us) showed up to celebrate with her. Another wonderful thing happened too, my sister announced that she is pregnant again!! Yahoo, I am expecting my future niece of nephew in December. I couldn't be happier:)

Lesvinyl

Familiar Face
Yesterday I actually got a round of applause from the ladies in my division at work for my seamed stockings! I also had another female coworker in another division tell me "Man,those are sexy. Men like them. I wear those around the house for my boyfriend." which kinda scared me. I wear them for the style and cause they make me feel good! I havent had any comments from the men as of yet. I also look really young and innocent, I look about 14 although I'm 20, so I doubt anyones gonna give me the ole stink eye. I hope. :p

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Lesvinyl said:
Yesterday I actually got a round of applause from the ladies in my division at work for my seamed stockings! I also had another female coworker in another division tell me "Man,those are sexy. Men like them. I wear those around the house for my boyfriend." which kinda scared me. I wear them for the style and cause they make me feel good! I havent had any comments from the men as of yet. I also look really young and innocent, I look about 14 although I'm 20, so I doubt anyones gonna give me the ole stink eye. I hope. :p

I look young and innocent too, but I have this one co-worker that gives me the hairy eyeball whenever I wear my stockings! I don't even wear ones with dark seams to work, I think they are very subtle. She acts like I'm some big hussy! I work at school in between classes, so it's not like I can go home and change my outfit. At least I'm not dresses in pajamas like most college students!

Bubbles

New in Town
I just have to vent about something that happened to me yesterday at work. I am a manager in a customer service department at a local bank. It is a Call Center; we have no face-to-face contact with customers. My boss, who works in a different building, came to me and said that my seamed stockings were inappropriate for the workplace, and that I could "never get away with wearing outfits that draw so much attention to myself if I worked in a branch". Now, of course I asked her if I was breaking any dress code rules, to which the answer was no. Apparently, a female employee in my department (I supervise about 25 people along with another female supervisor) had gone to her to "express a concern that all of the men in the department find reasons to come into my office to stare at me because of the way I am dressed". First of all, this is completely unfounded; one, because all of the employees in our department go to whichever office is closest for help, and two, because my co-manager is much more attractive (and closer to their age) than I am:) . Well, I was obviously surprised and a little miffed that a style that I consider to be more ladylike and dressier than the styles of today is now being deemed inappropriate for the workplace because it draws too much attention! Of course, I know that it draws attention, because it is different. But is it inappropriate simply for that reason? Has this happened to anyone else?

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
Bubbles said:
I just have to vent about something that happened to me yesterday at work. I am a manager in a customer service department at a local bank. It is a Call Center; we have no face-to-face contact with customers. My boss, who works in a different building, came to me and said that my seamed stockings were inappropriate for the workplace, and that I could "never get away with wearing outfits that draw so much attention to myself if I worked in a branch". Now, of course I asked her if I was breaking any dress code rules, to which the answer was no. Apparently, a female employee in my department (I supervise about 25 people along with another female supervisor) had gone to her to "express a concern that all of the men in the department find reasons to come into my office to stare at me because of the way I am dressed". First of all, this is completely unfounded; one, because all of the employees in our department go to whichever office is closest for help, and two, because my co-manager is much more attractive (and closer to their age) than I am:) . Well, I was obviously surprised and a little miffed that a style that I consider to be more ladylike and dressier than the styles of today is now being deemed inappropriate for the workplace because it draws too much attention! Of course, I know that it draws attention, because it is different. But is it inappropriate simply for that reason? Has this happened to anyone else?

Not to sound like an immature teenager or anything but, OH MY GOD YOUR BOSS IS SO JEALOUS:p :p . I have a boss like that here to.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
The simple fact is that seamed stockings draw attention.

You aren't breaking any dress codes so I would politely tell your boss that it is a personal choice that you wear them the same as whether you wear a skirt or trousers. I can't see how they can argue with that?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss Sis said:
You aren't breaking any dress codes so I would politely tell your boss that it is a personal choice that you wear them the same as whether you wear a skirt or trousers. I can't see how they can argue with that?

This is true, but the fact of the matter is that if you draw attention and/or make others uncomfortable with your manner of dress, your boss has a right to request a change. And that said, insubordination is grounds for disciplinary action.

It's really no big deal. Wear normal stockings. I mean, you don't HAVE to wear seamed stockings to work. While I admit that it's a personal choice you should have the right to make, when it comes to a professional environment, there are other considerations.

I dress vintage to work almost every day. I do not wear seamed stockings to the office. Not only do they draw unwanted attention, but they ARE considered unprofessional by most people in the workplace. Besides, they are more expensive than regular stockings and I'd rather save them for better occasions.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Well said, Kitty. I think you hit the nail on the head. Have you taken management/human resource classes? You sound like my hubby :) And of course, that is a good thing.

While I agree that you should have the choice ideally, if people misunderstand them and are uncomfortable, there isn't much you can do. A campaign to educate people could be viewed badly, too. I am sorry that your office is so poop-y (and yes, poop-y is a technical term, hehe)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
GoldLeaf said:
Well said, Kitty. I think you hit the nail on the head. Have you taken management/human resource classes? You sound like my hubby :) And of course, that is a good thing.

I haven't, but thank you for the compliment! I'm just a girl who takes being taken seriously in the workforce very seriously. As a gal working in the IT industry, I place careful consideration on how I present myself in my male-dominated field.

Kim_B

Practically Family
KittyT said:
This is true, but the fact of the matter is that if you draw attention and/or make others uncomfortable with your manner of dress, your boss has a right to request a change. And that said, insubordination is grounds for disciplinary action.

It's really no big deal. Wear normal stockings. I mean, you don't HAVE to wear seamed stockings to work. While I admit that it's a personal choice you should have the right to make, when it comes to a professional environment, there are other considerations.

I dress vintage to work almost every day. I do not wear seamed stockings to the office. Not only do they draw unwanted attention, but they ARE considered unprofessional by most people in the workplace. Besides, they are more expensive than regular stockings and I'd rather save them for better occasions.

This is exactly the reason I won't wear seamed stockings to work. I have seen one other girl wearing them, but I don't feel it's the right place to do so. Like KittyT, I'll save them for more appropriate occasions! :)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KittyT said:

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Exactly.

Lovely Leah

Familiar Face
My first experience with fully fashioned stockings

Today was the first day I wore FFS and it was very positive. I was wearing a black tailored suit, sheer black FFS and low heeled oxfords like the ones in my avatar. I was finally able to find a very fashionable ebony, cane with rhinestones and silver band, thanks to a tip from someone on the Accoutrements thread.

Of all days, the building I was in had a fire drill, we were all instructed to use the stairway. I can't remember when I last used stairs because of my mobility problems. I was petrified about getting downstairs. An absolutely gorgeous, twenty something, who was dressed like a model offered to help me navigate the stairway. I told her if I could hold on to her arm, I would be forever grateful. When we got outside the lobby, she absolutely gushed over my "classic outfit and sense of style with a cane". I told her that the shoes and cane are really necessities and that today was the first time that I wore FFS. I confessed that I felt a little self conscious wearing FFS for the first time and that I felt people were starring at me. She said that my "...whole outfit seamed stockings and all is really a signature style" and admired the way I am dressed. She said one of her co-workers told her the "lady in black has it really together." I told about the Lounge and the Powder Room. I hope she joins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24