Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oil Cleansing Method

Josephine

One Too Many
~*Red*~ said:
I have my flannel cloths (yay for leftover sewing scraps!) and I'll be giving it a go tonight before bed. I'm so excited!!:D

Any words of wisdom are appreciated. :)

Only make the steaming water as hot as you are comfortable with. Don't forget to only use each flannel once, then wash it only with other flannels you've used for your face, and wash them in hot water. I like to massage the oils into my skin as long as I can, really giving myself a nice facial massage. This way too, the oils can get into your pores and get out the dirt, etc. If you feel little granules, that's the plugs coming out of your skin! But don't be bummed if you can't feel them, I don't always. Do it as often as you feel like it, I know of some ladies that do it every day, some do it three times a week.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Josephine said:
Only make the steaming water as hot as you are comfortable with. Don't forget to only use each flannel once, then wash it only with other flannels you've used for your face, and wash them in hot water. I like to massage the oils into my skin as long as I can, really giving myself a nice facial massage. This way too, the oils can get into your pores and get out the dirt, etc. If you feel little granules, that's the plugs coming out of your skin! But don't be bummed if you can't feel them, I don't always. Do it as often as you feel like it, I know of some ladies that do it every day, some do it three times a week.

Thank you! Good to know about the cloths, I was wondering about that! I do have special ones to use only for my face.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Very Happy!

So I've been doing OCM the last week, once a day after my workout, and after the first day, I noticed my skin was smoother. I didn't see any dirt or anything being removed, but the bumps were all gone after the first day.

I have been using the toner and it seems that it dries me out some, so I started to use some massage oil we had, it had almond oil and other good ones along with some yummy EO's, and just a drop or two to moisturize. Then I decided to just not use the toner and that works just fine as well.

I love this method! I went to Joann's yesterday and picked up a couple of remnants of flannel, and just not finished making about 20 cloths. Yippee! I was having to wash them every day so I could use them the next day. Now I can do a regular small load.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
In my experience, the flannel is much softer on your skin than the regular wash cloth, and I ahve some softer ones! I really prefer the flannel.

I just get some selvage pieces and serge the ends. Easy Peasy!

And can I just say, that my fine lines are going away?!!:eek: :D

Josephine

One Too Many
Dani California said:
Sorry if I'm repeating, but it is not working when I do a search. What is the difference between using flannel cloth and just a regular wash cloth?

As Red said, flannel is softer, but I like the terry cloth of regular washcloths to get a bit of exfoliation going. To each their own. :)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Like cottonballs

but usually in a longer, tube-like shape. Or just packed in a box. You just pull off he it you need. Haven't seen it in years! Maybe in the first aid aisle.

Miss Cicero

New in Town
Ada Veen said:
I have been using cottonwool, as the washing flannel rigmarole was too much of a pain. Anyone else?

Yep, although I seem to get through a ridiculous number of cotton wool pads per wash! I've got a few flannels in rotation now but I agree that the washing aspect is still a bit of a chore. I do find it easier to properly 'steam' my face using flannels, however.

And: I finally found a mix that worked for me :) . About 70:30 castor to jojoba seems to do the trick, then I moisturise with a little rosehip oil afterwards (count me among the fans of that stuff - it's wonderful!) I guess my skin must be oilier than I thought...

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:
but usually in a longer, tube-like shape. Or just packed in a box. You just pull off he it you need. Haven't seen it in years! Maybe in the first aid aisle.

Aha! Thank you! If I am correct in thinking it is the same thing, I bet you can find it in Sally's where the perm section is. We used to wrap a length of cotton around the head to catch the solution drippings.

Josephine

One Too Many
I got a ton of washcloths at Target and BJ's Wholesalers, that way I have a ton to go through before I need to wash them and have a full load at the same time. :)

Smuterella

One Too Many
OK - I tried this for the first time last night. 20% castor oil and 80% EVOO.

It smelt rather horrid (couldn't find any rosehip EO on the way home from work) but my skin feels great.

One question though - using it to remove eye makeup.....do you just apply the oil and rub all over your eyelids/lashes and take the makeup off with the same facecloth or do you use separate cotton pads for your eyes. I'm worried about accidentally rubbing mascara dteritus on the rest of my skin in the cleanding process...

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Smuterella- I rub the oil in, and then wipe most of the makeup off with a kleenex. Then I apply a little more oil and wash my face like normal.

I love how OCM gets ALL the makeup off. Eye makeup leftovers is my pet peeve: the perpetual smoky eye. Yuck!

Smuterella

One Too Many
thanks - I still had eye makeup leftovers this morning, I have used many products over the years but NOTHING seems to take my eye make up off.

and now I have a spot, still I'm going to persevere with the OCM. All you ladies raving about it - there must be something in it. Also the model Marie Helvin advocates moisturising with oil and she looks gorgeous so thats a great hint in the right direction!

I also use baking powder as an exfoliant so my beauty regime is very cheap these days!

:)

roselily

One of the Regulars
It's not uncommon to break out the first few times you OCM, especially if you've had something lurking under the skin. Once you get past the purging stage, you'll probably have fewer breakouts (not including hormonal ones, nothing you do to the outside of your skin can eliminate those completely.)

Be careful using EO's around the eyes.

Jenautica

Familiar Face
Josephine said:
I got a ton of washcloths at Target and BJ's Wholesalers, that way I have a ton to go through before I need to wash them and have a full load at the same time. :)

I did this too. I also picked up one of those pink hospital basins from a thrift store. I put it under the sink and just toss the wet washcloths in after each use. Every saturday morning I fill the basin with hot water, a little detergent and baking soda, letting the cloths soak for a while. Then I drain out the water and toss them in the washer with my bed sheets. :D

Dani California

Familiar Face
rosewater

I was at Whole Foods today and bought Rosewater. Can I use this as a toner? Has anybody tried it? It says to freshen hair and body. Burt's Bees has a rose glycerin toner, but I didn't like all the other ingrediants in it and thought just plain ole rosewater would workI should've bought rosehip oil, but wasn't thinking. I just grabbed the first thing I saw with the word rose in it.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I'm pretty sure you can use the rosewater as toner, just as you would say, witch hazel. I have the BB's rosewater & glycerine. It was the only rosewater anything I could find.

I think the rosehip oil you can moisturize with. I thought I read that somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran