Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oilskin coats

Duper

Practically Family
Thanks Dave E. I have one more question out to the vendor. I am curious what the difference is between the lightweight and the heavyweight versions of the Drizabone coats. Is it more "oiled", thicker fabric, different fabric?

I know the heavyweight for the model I'm considering seems to have a wider colour selection. If you know that differences as well that would be great?

Dave E

One of the Regulars
I think I remember handling both when I bought mine (got it in Australia in 2001) and concluded that the heavyweight was a much better bet for the UK climate. I'll take a pic and post it tomorrow when it's light.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The difference is just the base weight of the cotton duck fabric. I think it's 12 ounces for the heavyweight - as robust an oilcloth as you'd find anywhere in the world. The thin one is better for tropical conditions, 7 ounces. As it happens a lot of the Barbour jackets I've seen and read about are around 8 ounces.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Sorry if this may sound like a dumb question but what exactly is an oilskin coat? Is it basically a leather treated with some sort of oil to make it water resistant? Is this style of coat pretty much used as a raincoat or do folks wear it in dry weather too?

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Oilskin is treated canvas or cotton, usually cotton. A waterproofing technique from before synthetic materials. Think of Australian bush coats or waxed jackets like Barbours.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Dave E said:
Oilskin is treated canvas or cotton, usually cotton. A waterproofing technique from before synthetic materials. Think of Australian bush coats or waxed jackets like Barbours.

Thanks Dave! Man, I was way off in regards to what I thought oilskin might be. :D

Are oilskin jackets primarily worn during wet weather or do people where them in dry weather too?

Dave E

One of the Regulars
A Barbour jacket is kind of the quintessential English country wear for farmers and the like. They're not dressy, but they're worn anytime you'd wear a coat.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Dave E said:
A Barbour jacket is kind of the quintessential English country wear for farmers and the like. They're not dressy, but they're worn anytime you'd wear a coat.

Thank you for your time in answering my question, Dave. I'm happy that I learned something new today. :)

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Navin323i said:
Thank you for your time in answering my question, Dave. I'm happy that I learned something new today. :)

You're welcome :) Usually I read and learn here, nice to be able to answer a question for someone for a change! :)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Navin, oilskin or waxed cotton (same thing) looks somthing like leather and wears almost as well. It requires treating every few years (like leather) and is famous for keeping the rain and wind away.

Many motorbike jackets are made of oilskin - the most famous being the Belstaff Trailmaster.

In the film My Name is Legend, Will Smith wears an oilskin Belstaff that has had many people excited. The jacket is certainly better than the film.

For those unhappy with leather (for whatever reason) oilskin is the next best substitute. The jackets come in many looks and if you surf the Bestaff or Barbour sites under waxed cotton, you will see jackets with a pedigree as good as any Aero.

I personally choose Drizabone brand because I live in Australia. As I posted elsewhere, their new Jacana is a classic looking bike jacket.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Seb Lucas said:
Navin, oilskin or waxed cotton (same thing) looks somthing like leather and wears almost as well. It requires treating every few years (like leather) and is famous for keeping the rain and wind away.

Many motorbike jackets are made of oilskin - the most famous being the Belstaff Trailmaster.

In the film My Name is Legend, Will Smith wears an oilskin Belstaff that has had many people excited. The jacket is certainly better than the film.

For those unhappy with leather (for whatever reason) oilskin is the next best substitute. The jackets come in many looks and if you surf the Bestaff or Barbour sites under waxed cotton, you will see jackets with a pedigree as good as any Aero.

I personally choose Drizabone brand because I live in Australia. As I posted elsewhere, their new Jacana is a classic looking bike jacket.

Thanks for the info, Seb! I'll definitely check out those sites you mentioned. :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
PADDY said:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=1068005#post1068005

Gents, it's really worth trawling through our Classifieds Section as there are items in there that are *still* up for grabs. ;)

Beautiful jacket, Paddy! Good luck with your sale. :)

Offtopic... Paddy, do you know if there any plans to implement a "multiquote" feature on our site here? It would definitely make it a lot easier and quicker to reply to multiple posts in the same thread.

narwhale

New in Town
Does anyone with a Kakadu jacket (specifically the Nelson or Java) have any insight as to the way they fit? I'm on the border between sizes, and don't know whether to go up or down. I'd imagine since they're motorcycle jackets they'd be more fitted, but the sizing info on their website wasn't too helpful. I've also tried to email them with no response.

Dave E

One of the Regulars
narwhale said:
Does anyone with a Kakadu jacket (specifically the Nelson or Java) have any insight as to the way they fit? I'm on the border between sizes, and don't know whether to go up or down. I'd imagine since they're motorcycle jackets they'd be more fitted, but the sizing info on their website wasn't too helpful. I've also tried to email them with no response.

The comments I've seen suggest going down a size. I'm on the border between two sizes myself, and I've ordered the smaller size. Mind you, the first supplier I went to couldn't get one (a Nelson) in the right size and I'm now waiting to see if the second supplier is able to come through.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I think if you are going to wear a Barbour, Belstaff,or Kakadu on a motorcycle,you don't want it too fitted. None of these coats have any warmth to them, and I often have to wear a fleece jacket under mine,plus I often have the pockets jammed with stuff,too. Here's the look everyone aspires to:

picture_77-jpg.jpg

narwhale

New in Town
Thanks for the sizing info, Dave and Jeep. Dave, I may wait until you get yours and see if you're happy with the sizing :) .

Dave E

One of the Regulars
narwhale said:
Thanks for the sizing info, Dave and Jeep. Dave, I may wait until you get yours and see if you're happy with the sizing :) .

I'll post once I get it (or discover it ain't coming) with my thoughts about the sizing. Should be next week one way or the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR