Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OK, bought a vintage leather jacket but...

sola fide

One of the Regulars
I bought this jacket from eBay England and I am not disappointed. I did want a jacket that looked vintage and could pass for 1930s vintage when I drive my 38 Chevrolet. The liner has been patched where the label goes so not sure if label is original. The picture of the zipper is not readable, but what it says is Conmatic. I keep reading that Conmatic zippers did not get introduced until 1954, but jacket was identified as 1940s. Can anyone offer any info just for fun. I really like the jacket regardless.
Thank you
Mike
38 Chevrolet
Town Sedan

bretron

Call Me a Cab
... It's too big!

Haha sorry couldn't help myself. Nice half belt, I'd guess early 50s if was forced to guess, 40s could be right tho.

It's the gigantic sleeves that give it that impression. Fit is good, otherwise. Lovely, lovely colour.

sola fide

One of the Regulars
Thanks for confirming what I thought including my wife. The shoulders are just right and I like the length more like the surcoat or car coat length, but I will alter the sleeves to at least be more narrow. I'm starting to alter my clothes and getting more bold.
Thanks
Mike

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for confirming what I thought including my wife. The shoulders are just right and I like the length more like the surcoat or car coat length, but I will alter the sleeves to at least be more narrow. I'm starting to alter my clothes and getting more bold.
Thanks
Mike

You could alter it and you may well pull it off but to me the jacket looks way too long over all.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Lovely jacket, but as Butte says, looks as if it'd suit somebody a size or so up. I have a similar repro, this is how mine fits:

zebedee

One Too Many
If you like it, keep it- you can wear a sweater underneath it, get the arms tightened and so on. The length doesn't seem over long to me, but then the shortest I'd ever go is a cafe racer length and I often feel self-conscious (this happens when someone says to you: 'Nice jacket, but where's the rest of it?') as it hits mid-belt. Sometimes spacious is better for slouching around in.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Cheers! And as far as David Bowie at the height of his Thin White Duke phase goes, if only I had his money...

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
It's possible that the jacket is older than the zipper, if the zipper was replaced at some point in the distant past.

sola fide

One of the Regulars
Hey all,
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to take the shipping hit and return to UK. The reference picture was good, what size do you wear? I am a 39 short or a loose 38 short. I bought the jacket based on measurements and wasn't quite sure. My goal is a 1930s fit that is not waste high. I like jackets below the waste. Keep you posted on what's next.
Mike
38 Town Sedan

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The jacket's a size 36. The sleeves are 25 1/2" and the Back 29". I'm 5'9"and 140lbs. It really depends on the pattern that I'm wearing, tbh. My BR is a 38, as is my Irvin and A-2s, but if you stick me in a suit, I'm a pulled-in 36.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran