Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OK, bought a vintage leather jacket but...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Most of the styles I go for are neat-fitting in the first place, so sizing down isn't an option. With Irvins, I think you're better at least a size up from your standard one, they look cooler and tend to be warmer (it's the sleeping bag principal of letting air circulate and warm around you)/ The BR's a very neat, high-armed style and the 1756 contract is a neat-fit too. That said, my Dust Bowl's a 38 and it's a loose fit by comparison, but it's got it's own style.
That said, every time I've tried on a HWM, they've just not suited me. I'd need to go for the Premier or whatever, as the standard pattern just hangs on me.

Last edited:
Huh, didn't know the BR is this neat. I'm a 42, for the most part, and I still had to size down with J106 and Cafe Racer even though these are supposed to be their trimmest styles. Or used to be... Either way, I was swimming in a J106 sz. 42.

You're 100 per cent right about the looser fitting jackets being warmer; as cool as it looks, that ever so popular skintight fit just isn't all that fun for riding once the temperatures drop below 65f. I learned that the hard way...

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It's possible that the jacket is older than the zipper, if the zipper was replaced at some point in the distant past.

Possible, but that style with those details didn't come in until the 1950s, around the same time that zip was produced.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Huh, didn't know the BR is this neat. I'm a 42, for the most part, and I still had to size down with J106 and Cafe Racer even though these are supposed to be their trimmest styles. Or used to be... Either way, I was swimming in a J106 sz. 42.

You're 100 per cent right about the looser fitting jackets being warmer; as cool as it looks, that ever so popular skintight fit just isn't all that fun for riding once the temperatures drop below 65f. I learned that the hard way...

The arm holes are set high and the body is close. I can get a thin jumper it, but that's all. Certainly looks best with a slim fit. As far as riding goes, would a Thunder Bay not make a good biking jacket?

sola fide

One of the Regulars
You might not believe it, but I decided to keep the jacket. I'm going to strengthen my altering skills for a better fit and I actually like the length. The one thing I am learning is to better measure my size when ordering online. Having a very small to no budget often results in clothes that do not fit right, but investing in a sewing machine has already paid off. I actually had to choose between buying accessories for my 38 Chevrolet or the jacket. I already spent a bundle on my 38 Chev and decided to pick up some articles of clothing like button suspenders, white club collared shirts and the horsehide jacket. I also picked up a seersucker from Banana Republic. Banana Republic sells some nice vintage style slacks at great prices when on sale. I bought the seersucker to possibly wear to the Gatsby Summer Afternoon in Oakland Ca. I might post some pics later.
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic