Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old fashioned names new again....

Haversack

One Too Many
The practice of giving family names for first names is well established among the United States' East Coast upper class and has been going on for the better part of the last century. McGeorge Bundy anyone? This was even pointed out in the 1980 Preppy Handbook. It is plausible that this practice has spread to other social groups in either conscious or unconscious imitation of the upper class. It wouldn't be the first time...

Haversack.

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincsong
I thought Rory was a boys name. Why are people naming girls Rory? Or Jordan for that matter? I also don't like the naming of girls Irish last names like Madison, Kennedy. Would you name a girl Sebastian?

I thought Rory was a nickname for Aurora?
My husband and I chose Trevor Wayne, Olivia Mae, and Savannah Margaret. All of the middle names are for grandparents (both my father's and my late father-in-law's middle name was Wayne, can't get a better deal than that when choosing to honor a family member!). The first names we chose because they just sounded right to us at the time. I do think Olivia Mae has a very vintage sound though. Mae was my mother's nickname growing up. I am not positive on this but Trevor sounds modern to me, maybe it is because I only rarely hear it. I think Savannah is modern but it has a vintage feel to it.
I know the social security website has lists of the most popular baby names by year and decade, I am not sure how far it goes back but it is a good place to look for ideas. :)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Rory?

When I hear of the name; Rory I think of that 40's and early fifties actor Rory Calhoun.:eek: When I hear of a girl named Jordan I think of the character in The Great Gatsby.:eek: Can you imagine naming a girl; Bosco? Albuequeque? Loconte? Garibaldi? Silva? Goldwater?lol What are people thinking?

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Family Names

My mother's side has a very old family tree going back to the 1700s and a native American named Morning Jeffries born in 1728. And my brother has taken it upon himself to reproduce to the point of using up every single name on the list. Here are his kids' names:

- Banks Dorsey Dotson (she's a sweet 10 year old girl named after my grandfather
- Parker Brookshire Dotson (boy)
- Cordelia Nelson Dotson (girl)
- Preston Forrest Dotson (girl)

I hope there are a few names left on the tree by the time I get around to reproducing!

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
So I was at the little get together for parents and godparents at the church before baptismal and the nun asked how did people come up with the name for their child. This guy replied; "I like the Doors, so I named him Jim Morrison":D

FedoraGent

One Too Many
My Family Names...

Miss Dottie said:
My mother's side has a very old family tree going back to the 1700s and a native American named Morning Jeffries born in 1728. And my brother has taken it upon himself to reproduce to the point of using up every single name on the list. Here are his kids' names:

- Banks Dorsey Dotson (she's a sweet 10 year old girl named after my grandfather
- Parker Brookshire Dotson (boy)
- Cordelia Nelson Dotson (girl)
- Preston Forrest Dotson (girl)

I hope there are a few names left on the tree by the time I get around to reproducing!

Well, being Filipino-American our names are still amazingly VERY American. My mom's name was Elsa (very vintage), and my sisters have very 60's names like Nadine Joy, Carolyn Mae and Jocelyn Ann. Of course, of the bit of the male curse for the first born male child...my middle name is my mom's maiden name. Ugh. So that backfired when my parents wanted to be cross with me. They just couldn't use it. It was precious watching the confusion.

I always thought that if I ever had children, I'd probably name the little girl Catharine/Catherine Marie or Lisa Jennifer. Boys, well I hadn't quite thought about it but I like Joseph, Charles or Benjamin.

Jon

Roger

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
You've told me nothing that we didn't already know. I already corrected the last part about the correct queen.
If there are Roman ruins, I never saw one.
You still didn't answer who founded Madiera though.
When was the last time you were in Portugal? It was until recently a very poor nation. You speak authoritavely as though you have first hand knowledge. What gives you the authority to question a Madeiran like myself on Portuguese culture?[huh]

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Roger said:
When was the last time you were in Portugal? It was until recently a very poor nation. You speak authoritavely as though you have first hand knowledge. What gives you the authority to question a Madeiran like myself on Portuguese culture?[huh]

Nossa!....

E simplesmente estupido que vocês tem que discutir a historia e cultura de Portugal e que nomes são usados onde.
*mumbles something about argumentative men so that everyone else understands*

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
Nossa!....

E simplesmente estupido que voc?™s tem que discutir a historia e cultura de Portugal e que nomes s?£o usados onde.
*mumbles something about argumentative men so that everyone else understands*

Wow! What a mouthful. How'd you learn that?:eusa_doh:

Roger said:

I'll tell you what gives me the authority and the background. You obviously do not have the history correct but I was going to let it go. :rolleyes:
Firstly, Madiera was actually taken possession of in 1420 (not 1418---Porto Santo was first discovered in 1419)by Jao Gonsalves Zarco and Tristao Vaz Teixeira, being sent by Dom Henrique The Navigator "to find new lands." These are things that you just don't get off the web obviously.:rolleyes: [huh]
How am I so sure? Well, one of those people who led the expedition is a relative of mine. I don't think he neither would want the history of his expedition so blurred nor the history so jumbled. I tend to protect my relatives. I'll give you one redeeming question that will make me believe that you are actually from Madiera. At the time Portugal put her flag on the Madiera Islands, a historical event of great importance happened. A leader was chosen. What was his title, what was his name and how long did the title last? This is taught in every remedial school on the islands so you should know instantly without doing a Google search. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Tony in Tarzana said:
A B C D E F G H I got a gal named Kalamazoo...

I once got to perform that number on stage. I sang the lead vocals, with a backup harmonizing trio, and a big band behind me, all of us in '40's getups. Unbelievable experience.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
As my grandfather used to say (loosely written):
"?Äs vezes o que um prende para tr?°s faz mais sentido do que o que um p?µe para a frente no haste." ;)

Regards,

J

You might want to post so that the person you were responding to understands you, since you were not replying to me.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Fransisco... etc...

For interest's sake-
I work with 3 Portugese guys- Fernando, Fransisco, Felipe.
I also have 2 Spanish colleagues, one calls everyone Chicho- which apparently is a common nickname for people called Fransisco.
So, Fransisco must be quite common in Spain, and Portugal. The other Spaniard is called Isidro.

We named our Daughter 'Priya Roma'- (very old Indian names)

Priya means 'beloved' and Roma is another name for the Godess, Lakshmi.
So she is our beloved Godess. We were in hospital in Stockholm with her for six weeks- she was born 3 1/2 months premature. We hadn't really thought much about names at that early stage but suddenly, we had to.

We phoned my wife's Aunt in Delhi to get some help choosing a nice name and she did the traditional Sikh thing and opened their Holy book at a random page and chose the first letter on the page- so it was a 'P'. The name Roma has many other meanings in other languages, of course but also has another meaning beyond the Indian one- the Doctor who delivered our Daughter and looked after her in the first few, critical hours, was, coincidentally from Rome.

Priya turned one year old last week and is just fine.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland