Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
There’s no place like home! :)
Buttermilk Junction 1937
buttermilk junction_8b30314a.jpg
Gas Shack 1920s
29503u.preview.jpg

Last edited:

59Lark

Practically Family
NO photos, but a story , I live in the house that once was the garage owners house for a supertest gas station, Fred Fiddy was his name and he had the last gas station going out of town or the first coming in, which ever way you like it. FOR close to 50 yrs his family ran this garage, he kept his pearl white oldsmobile in back part of the garage and he didn't believe in banks and people were always breaking in too find his cash and never did, I think he made more money as a landlord had up to 4 houses around here , some he build himself. MY house he hardly put any money into, I had to rebuild it , it was close to 1940s when I bought it, paul from down the street remembers buying candy and soda from fred as a child. My late neighbor from around the block, remembered fred rebuild a pre war dodge six for him after coming home from the war, one of my late customers renting the brick house next to me from fred for $50. a month in the 1950s , the final story is the tale, when he finally retired in his 80s , fred bought a big house in the country and within a year was caught driving that 1940 pearl white oldsmobile down the wrong side of the road and had his license taken away. whe I first bought this property there was a sidewalk in the middle of my sideyard that led to a side door of the garage, I ripped that out, built a store on the side of my house for my trade an grew a hedge which is now 6 feet tall but I always thought I could fred walking down that sidewalk to the garage for 50 yrs. 59LARK

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
That is one ancient truck (the bread truck) in the photo. It also reminds me of a textbook or encyclopedia illustration of one of the stages of urban decay, what with houses converted to store fronts and the like. Or it could be a weird photo book with photos taken in a lot of places but with a black old-fashioned lunchbox in every photo.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I probably saw a few when I worked at the DELCO plant in the 80s. My old man carried one to NCR every day, though.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Mom would fix my lunch sandwiches for school using the plain brown paper bag
from the grocery store.
She would put my chocolate milk drink in a glass jar of Folger’s coffee.
Today you can find a similar flavor at Starbucks! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy