Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Shades of SINCLAIR :D
289x5bb.jpg

Beautiful Saturday morning. Took my Western-Flyer for a spin before breakfast.
Noticed this in front of a yard.

2vshm40.jpg

Somebody draped a sombrero, wreath and other festive knick-knacks to celebrate the sinko de Mayo yesterday! :D

nx0w9g.jpg

Another photo similar to the one which was posted earlier in this thread. Its 8’ foot cast aluminum and available on feebay. ;)

Last edited:

EngProf

Practically Family
Looks early Sixties to me -- the cars all appear to be 1959 or later models; that Chevy just left of center is, I think, a '61, '62, or '63, and the one going the other way on the highway is a '60.
The white Chevy in left-center is a '62 - no doubt. I had one, as did my brother.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
imgp3518_16138.jpg

Liberty, Maine. This station was abandoned in the early 1970s, and has been used ever since as a storage building for the used-tool shop across the street. The "Mobil" lettering originally said "Mobilgas," but the last three letters were removed when the company stopped using that branding in 1963. The pump plates reflect the new Mobil logo adopted in 1965, which is likely the last time anything was done to the building.

Mobil had a habit, at least in Maine, of leaving closed stations to go to seed. While most companies would send a truck around from the bulk plant to pull the pumps and remove the signs the very day a station closed, the Mobil office in Maine didn't seem to care one way or another. This station's been frozen in amber for more than forty years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24