Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
dfe763ac9d65ddaaeb2f8ce1a71d5019.jpg

Rob

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Seen this one before, but not colorized...

View attachment 87421
I'm puzzled. The date on the ad, I suppose from a magazine where it appeared, seems to say "1937" -- but that car is one of the Raymond Loewy-designed Studebakers of the Fifties. Maybe I'm reading a 3 for a 5, and it's really 1957. But the guy in the ad looks a LOT like Rock Hudson, who by 1957 was something of a Hollywood name. Surely they'd have mentioned him???

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's definitely a 1957 ad, not 1937. The station design, however, does date to the late thirties -- it was Gulf's variation on the Teague Texaco, which rolled out in 1937. Gulf was the last company to cling to the white-porcelain-with-speed-lines motif, continuing to build stations in that format into the late 1960s, with the only change being the replacement of the block-serif all capital lettering with their new sans-serif wordmark in 1962. Many of these "Gulf icebox" stations operated without any type of modernization into the early 1990s.

rebgulf.jpg

A 1960s Gulf Icebox which operated in Wells, Maine into the late 2000s without modernization.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
That's definitely a 1957 ad, not 1937. The station design, however, does date to the late thirties -- it was Gulf's variation on the Teague Texaco, which rolled out in 1937. Gulf was the last company to cling to the white-porcelain-with-speed-lines motif, continuing to build stations in that format into the late 1960s, with the only change being the replacement of the block-serif all capital lettering with their new sans-serif wordmark in 1962.
Right; that certainly is not a 1937 automobile. Perhaps the male model was chosen precisely for his resemblance to Rock Hudson.

I'm puzzled. The date on the ad, I suppose from a magazine where it appeared, seems to say "1937" -- but that car is one of the RAymond Loewy-designed Studebakers of the Fifties. Maybe I'm reading a 3 for a 5, and it's really 1957. But the guy in the ad looks a LOT like Rock Hudson, who by 1957 was something of a Hollywood name. Surely they'd have mentioned him???

Loewy and Dreyfus were talented guys. I lean toward Dreyfus, but they are both insanely talented. And my God, the designed so many things in so many diverse industries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy