Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

Veronica T

Familiar Face
gasstationButler-Built_zpsf62da9f1.png

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Does anyone have any idea when this gas station was from? It is located in Chatham Massachusetts, and it apparently is now a beach taxi. That garage's roof in the back is actually is worse condition than it appears in this picture. The pictures are from Google images.
r1Nr2Xc.png

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Most likely the late twenties or early thirties. That type of minimalistic blockhouse design was very common in New England during the Depression era. There was probably a grease pit off to the side with a shanty roof over it, long since torn down and filled in.

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
I pass this sign every summer on the way to the family cottage. And every summer I marvel that it's still there... that some idiot hasn't taken off with it in the night.

I didn't take a photo of the building because it's been modernized somewhat, no longer looks terribly interesting, and is used as a private residence. And I didn't want the owners coming out in anger to shoo me off.

This is located just north of Imlay City, Michigan:

photo(3).jpg photo(3a).jpg

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Cool stuff.

I don't know what happened on my end, but for some reason, I stopped getting email notifications of this thread's updates (among others here at FL I have bookmarked). I tried emptying my browser cache, changing my antivirus programs, tweaked my email settings, etc...you name it, I've tried it, but to no avail....no notices for me.

Until today, when I opened my email to find one. Go figure. :p

Anyhoo, I have some more vintage station pics to post, which I will try to do, once I get home from work tonight.

Rob

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Here's one of the most fascinating Yoo Toob videos I've ever come across -- documenting the construction of a Teague-type Texaco station in 1953, on a lot next to an old Denver-style Texaco station dating to the late twenties. The Denver style was the standard Texaco building before the Teague style was introduced in 1938, and the one in the film appears to be a pristine, well-maintained specimen. It's a pity they couldn't have both been kept -- you don't see many intact Teagues anymore, but you never see an intact Denver.

[video=youtube;DxbFNWhXhlY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxbFNWhXhlY[/video]

Renault

One Too Many
Another porcelain enamel jewel in Thomson, GA....

View attachment 15666

Rob

Ok. Christmas 1960. Yeah that cute tyke grew up. But directly behind me my dad is quickly assembling my new Texaco gas station!!! Woohoo! I was happy. Just like the one in your pic!!

You got these from the local texaco dealer. I also had one of the like 14 pound metal Texaco fuel tanker trucks!! (Mebbe this belongs in the vintage toy thread???). I got to play with the station about 12 hours total as my 18month old lil sis decided to use it for a place to place her diapered bottom.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, I love those old enameled beauties; as a kid, I used to think they used washing machine lids to make them, lol....I was amazed at the thought of all those lidless washing machines out there.

Rob

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We sold all those premiums at our station -- a different one was released every year. The tanker and the various trucks were the most popular, but there was also a full-sized replica Fire Chief hat with a built-in battery operated voice amplifier that my mother considered to be the most irritating.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
We sold all those premiums at our station -- a different one was released every year. The tanker and the various trucks were the most popular, but there was also a full-sized replica Fire Chief hat with a built-in battery operated voice amplifier that my mother considered to be the most irritating.

I remember those! I always liked fire department related toys, mainly because my dad was a Chicago firefighter and I pretty much grew up in a firehouse, much like the way you grew up around a gas station. I was about eight when he brought home my first helmet: it was one of the classic old time leather jobs, with the metal peak atop the company number plate that you could smash out a glass window if you needed to ventilate an interior.

The best times were when my dad and the lieutenant- in violation of all rules I'm sure- would have their sons spend the night at the firehouse. We'd stay up late, eat pizza and play cards with the guys, and if there was a run, we'd either go along or just stay back and "guard" the firehouse.

I always have to laugh when I see how some contemporary women view male firefighters as "hunks." When they're your dad and de facto uncles, the aspect of "sex symbol" is never part of the equation. I do remember how frightened I'd get whenever there was a news story about firefighters getting killed on duty: my dad would tell me not to worry about it, but it was a fear that was never too far from the head of a fireman's kid.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I always have to laugh when I see how some contemporary women view male firefighters as "hunks." When they're your dad and de facto uncles, the aspect of "sex symbol" is never part of the equation.

My great-grandfather was the fire chief in our town, and all his sons served under him in the department -- one of them eventually succeeded him as chief. None of them were remotely hunkly, and great-granddad himself was a short, wizened, baldheaded man with a pushbroom moustache. Imagine Andy Gump in a waterproof coat, and you've got the picture. Not remotely hunkly, but a devoted fireman his entire adult life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy