Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open Crown Stetsons: A Call (Plea) to Retailers!!

Landman

One Too Many
The Runabout is a neat looking hat. However, I have trouble seeing how a factory crease like that could be foldable. I hope it works for Stetson though.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Another picture from Mr. Deckard's tumblr:
tumblr_mtiabhrmJ81r91qw7o1_500.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I'm a sucker for Long hairs/Velours and I REALLY like Hatco's modern long hairs. Unfortunately the brims are usually really short on them. I have contemplated buying a modern long hair from them, taking it apart, and re-blocking it with a nice crown shape but the brims are too short to do that. I can, but it would most likely only yield a two inch brim. Matt posted THIS hat on his page not too long ago and I believe its one of the models he is experimenting with. I would be VERY VERY interested in one of these if he and Stetson are thinking of producing this......

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Looking to pick up a Strat and Stetsonian calling Jeff.:) now the 4 to 6 week wait begins. Jeff said to get order sin nowif you want to make sure you get one this fall.

Last edited:

Roan

One of the Regulars
I'm a sucker for Long hairs/Velours and I REALLY like Hatco's modern long hairs. Unfortunately the brims are usually really short on them. I have contemplated buying a modern long hair from them, taking it apart, and re-blocking it with a nice crown shape but the brims are too short to do that. I can, but it would most likely only yield a two inch brim. Matt posted THIS hat on his page not too long ago and I believe its one of the models he is experimenting with. I would be VERY VERY interested in one of these if he and Stetson are thinking of producing this......

Wow, now that is one snazzy looking hat! I have to admit I'd be interested in buying one of those as well should Stetson ever offer something similar.

Josh, What is the black hat finish described as? Are the HatCo velours sourced? I remember your great rebuild but I seem to recall that was an older dead stock model (hat made by TONAK).

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, What is the black hat finish described as? Are the HatCo velours sourced? I remember your great rebuild but I seem to recall that was an older dead stock model (hat made by TONAK).

Matt didn't have a name under that hat, but I recognize that finish. Stetson and Dobbs often refer to that finish as a "silk finish" when being described on the Stetson website or a hatters website. The Dobbs I rebuilt was an older stock hat. The felt body was made by Tonak but I am unsure if Hatco just imports velour bodies for their hats or if they also import long hair bodies as well. I will say that the Velour body made by Tonak was very nice, but it was fairly thick. The Brewster by Stetson was also made in felt besides a straw version and had a silk finish. I have never felt one, but people on the lounge who have bought them have said that the felt is fairly lightweight, thinner, and pliable. I would have to imagine that if Tonak made both bodies, they would have similar features. [huh]

Here's some pics of the Brewster from Carldelo.....

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?43232-Stetson-Brewster-review

Received my Stetson Brewster from Sterling Leather yesterday - took some pictures this morning:

Brewster005.jpg

Brewster003.jpg

Last edited:
Josh, Thanks for the follow-up information! The Brewster does have a nice look to it. It would be interesting to know if the felt + finish is Hatco or sourced. By the way TONAK sent me some really nice (very soft + silver gray color) Velour samples (3 different finishes) a couple years ago but I misplaced / lost them.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, Thanks for the follow-up information! The Brewster does have a nice look to it. It would be interesting to know if the felt + finish is Hatco or sourced. By the way TONAK sent me some really nice (very soft + silver gray color) Velour samples (3 different finishes) a couple years ago but I misplaced / lost them.

I was very impressed with the Tonak hat body. It was felted very densely, the color was beautiful, the color saturation was perfect, it pulled on a block very nice and took a sharp flange perfectly. It was actually a pleasure to work with. If it was slightly thinner and just a touch less shellac, it would be perfect. The amount of shellac wasn't to bad, but with the thickness of the felt, steam was really needed to set a crease. I use steam to set all my creases anyways so I didn't mind, but the dry creasing ability of those wonderful pre-ww2 Austrian velours were fantastic. It's a shame that those samples that Tonak sent you are gone. I would have been really interested in seeing them. :(

TONAK told me they could make them softer for hand creasing. I am not sure about lighter weights. They required a 60 order minimum so I chickened out (they agreed to late 30s Sigma Seal Velour dimensions). We will never see felt like the pre WWII stuff. :)

By the way really happy to see Hatco making this effort!

Walt

One of the Regulars
Jeff,

Any idea on additional colors being offered for these in the future? And if yes, what those might be? Various types of grays I assume which is good and perhaps a more traditional Silver Belly are possible. I realize it may not be practical or possible for Hatco to go beyond that but an even larger palette of colors would be a dream come true. I'm sure I will by one or eventually two myself in these colors offered but since I already have many vintage and modern hats in all of the standard colors including what's being offered here even more colors would probably get me to buy a few more longer term. Just a hint...Thanks!

Walt

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Walt I know that Stetson is working on many things in the future and if these hats do well then I am sure we will see more colors and styles coming out of Texas.

Jeff

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
To show my support for Hatco's effort, I just ordered a Stetsonian. I want them to succeed with this new direction. And Matt Deckard and HATCO, if you're listening, I have something to say to you..."Kudos, great job, and thank you for pursuing this!" Oh, and I'd still love to see a Dobbs Classic line. I know someone who's a bit of Dobbs expert if you need any assistance.:D

Looking forward to wearing this new Stetsonian.

Brad

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Emailed Mike the Hatter,to see if they could get the Stetsonian for me.They Emailed back that they checked the Stetson catalog and it was not in it.So they called to find out if the hat was available.Emailed me back that they could get this hat.Made me wonder if the hat shops don't know about these two hats how will Stetson sell a lot of them?Anyway because I'm a loyal customer they gave me a great deal.So I ordered the Stetsonian.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran