Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open Crown Stetsons: A Call (Plea) to Retailers!!

tommyK

One Too Many
strat1_zps4ab4f7dd.jpg

Got my Strat today. Thanks to Jeff and the folks at Delmonicos. It has a similar density to an Akubra Campdraft but perhaps, slightly thinner, softer hand and more moldable. It will need a little steam to fine tune. Great sweatband as well. Much better than the modern Whippet I have.

tommyK

One Too Many
The crown looks taller in real life. I'll try to set up a better pic. It's very hard to capture the real color as well. It's a darker richer medium brown than it appears. Very similar to the fed IV tawny fawn. I'll need a day or so with it to really give it the once over in terms of quality. Definitely not as moldable as vintage but quantifiably better than the modern Stetson Whippet I have.
strat3_zps8e892522.jpg

For the life of me I can't understand how a would-be hat buyer wouldn't prefer that hat over just about anything else he would come across in a hat retail store.

tommyK

One Too Many
As a big head most of my hats are modern production hats and this measures up pretty well. Can't wait to see some noggin shots of the Stetsonian.
strat4_zps55e3e82b.jpg

a better sense of the shape

Lotsahats

One Too Many
My Stetsonian arrived!

I was sitting there this afternoon, when there was a knock at the door. Upon answering it, I saw the familiar shape of a hat box on my front doorstep. I have a number of hats going in and out, so I wasn't sure what this one was--especially since I didn't get an email from Delmonico that my hat had shipped. Sure enough, though, this box contained my new Stetsonian.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

And there it was: a beautiful modern hat:

image.jpg
image.jpg

I gotta tell you: when I opened this box up, I was blown away by the hat inside. The weight, density, and hand-feel of the felt are right up to snuff. The quality seems really high to me; it compares quite well to the feel of my vintage Whippets. The felt is soft yet thick, and it takes a dry crease very well.

image.jpg
image.jpg

With a little steam, the felt responded just as well.

image.jpg

There are a few imperfections in the felt here and there, but overall, I'm impressed with the hat. If Hatco makes more hats of this quality--no matter the style--they'll have made a big step in returning the beauty and luxury of hats.

A

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Hmmmm ... that's one "Okay, but not really" and one "Fantastic hat". Not really convincing. The history in mind, it'll take more good reviews to convince me :)

Aaron, would you care to elaborate of those "few imperfections"?

Do they show up under visual scrutiny? Or by feel? Or both?

Sure does look good in the pictures.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
There are two spots in the felt that look almost like tears. Here are close ups, then the spots from a distance:

On the left side of the pinch, looking at the hat

image.jpg
image.jpg

Above the bow:
image.jpg
image.jpg

There were also some minor things, such as the ribbon not being pulled down far enough to cover the interior stitching. I fixed this myself by gently pushing the ribbon down a bit, but still, it was one of those little fit-and-finish things that should have been corrected.

image.jpg

Some of the ribbon teaching stitches are also a little obvious.

image.jpg

Still, though, I think it's a great hat. The fit is fantastic, and it looks absolutely at home among my vintage hats. I'm thrilled overall with the hat.

image.jpg

Aaron

Thanks, Aaron. Does the felt seem thin or weak in those spots? Some hat bodies have the occasional stray fiber, which somehow didn't take the dye the way the rest of the fibers did. Or perhaps those strays are of a different origin and somehow got into the felt at some point in its fabrication. Often they can be lifted away with a pair of tweezers. I've had them turn up while pouncing a body. You know, they weren't visible until some of the top surface was sanded away.

But I'm with you, though, in that those shortcomings aside, which anyone other than us hat nuts would find so niggling as to hardly be worth mentioning, it's a great hat. Congrats. It's great that there's now a modern production hat with such style. It's a hat to wear in threatening weather, so as to spare the real vintage lids.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
So from that perspective, there aren't any thin spots, rough spots, or odd-colored spots. There's no powder, either. In terms of finish, this hat seems really well-done.

A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner