Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open Crown Stetsons: A Call (Plea) to Retailers!!

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
My Stetsonian arrived yesterday in Shanghai (thanks Delmonico!). I will add my voice to the chorus of praise.

The Stetsonian is a very nice hat, better than my Akubra Imperial Fed IV, which is a very good hat. The Stetson is not as nice as my Optimos, of course, but it did cost about a third as much. It's a great value for the money.

The felt has a soft hand, pliable but still stiff enough to hold a crease. It's not Borsalino buttery and it's sure not cowboy cardboard. A little stiffer than Optimo and less stiff than Akubra. The color is pretty consistent, with a few small spots that are slightly lighter. The couple of light spots are only a little lighter, as if a few hairs got rubbed in the opposite direction from the rest. No powder. There is one tiny divot that looks like a moth bite, but it lands in the center dent, so nobody will ever see it and probably nobody outside of Fedora Loungers would notice it. I used the broom handle center-crease method and pinched side dents into the front of the hat. It holds the shape fine. I will likely use water to get a more refined shape on my pinch at some point, but it looks just fine now. No spidering.

The crown is very tall and straight. So straight that it looks taller than it is, even with a WAR. The 2 5/8 brim is wide enough to give real protection from the elements, but the proportions with the crown make it look dressy rather than like a sombrero or something to wear gardening.

The finish on the hat is really good. The edge binding looks fabulous, no lumps, stray stitches, or overlaps. The binding is a great tone match for the felt and I love that the ribbon is a contrasting dark brown rather than boring black. I do wish Stetson would learn to tack the ribbon and especially the bow with less noticeable stitches. The bow work is attractive, although it looks pretty flat next to an Optimo. The sweatband is very soft, comfortable, and attractive brown leather and the white liner with gold logo and piping is neatly executed. Fit was perfect, right out of the box. It fits me like a custom.

This hat is far superior to any other modern Stetson I've owned or handled. I'll be wearing it often. I've probably got the only one in Shanghai at the moment, and I noticed people staring at the hat as I rode the subway this morning. One guy came up to talk to me but couldn't take his eyes off the hat. :)

I'm really glad Matt was able to make this happen at Stetson. I hope these sell very well, so that we can see more colors and styles in this line in the future. If you are on the fence about ordering one, I suggest you go ahead and take the plunge. I am confident you will be glad you did.

Last edited:

viclip

Practically Family
I took delivery today of the Premier Stetsonian ordered from Del Monica Hatters, in Tawney. I'm quite pleased with the Royal DeLuxe fur felt body, which appears to be of high quality & I like the color. The brim is snappable while the open crown is easily creased & bashed without having to use steam; I'm pleasantly surprised at the open crown height in excess of 6". The ribbon, sweat band & liner appear to be of high quality as well. Good workmanship all around, the size 7-5/8 is true & fits me just right. Now I just need to find a nice feather in my stash thereof to set off the hat's 1-7/8" ribbon. I would have preferred the inclusion of a Stetson pin with the hat, but that's just me.

I commend the Stetson folks for their initiative in providing great hats at affordable prices, & I also commend the folks at Del Monica Hatters for taking the initiative in facilitating a group order with promotional pricing.

In the new year I expect that I'll be ordering one of the new Premier Stratoliners.

tommyK

One Too Many
Just wanted to update my impressions of the Stratoliner and it's ability to handle weather and other travails. I've deliberately been tough on this hat. I've reshaped it by hand, with steam three times and with a distilled water spray. I've been in the rain many times and now the snow. It's been sat on and blown off my head. No need to baby these hats.
rainhat_zps4dad6871.jpg
Great job Mr. Deckard and the good people at Stetson!

Last edited:

CPT/VSG

Familiar Face
I can second tommyK's comments about the durability of the hats. I wore my Stratoliner in a Christmas parade last week in falling snow. No problem at all--the moisture just beaded right up. No loss of shape or color as the hat dried.

tommyK

One Too Many
I'm waiting on a mink Strat as well. I really really would like a light, medium or dark grey in the Strat or the Stetsonian. I hope these are a hit and more colors will come. Kinda like the looks of the Runabout too. I could use a roll-up for motorcycle trips.

hatband

One of the Regulars
I recieved my Stetsonian from Del Monaco Hatters yesterday, and join the very satisfied group of customers on the lounge. I agree with Viclip as to the workmanship, colour and quality of this hat being of very good quality and good workmanship. Very easily takes a crease with a little steam. The Tawny fawn I feel is a very versatile colour, will go with browns, reds, rust, and forest green in my wardrobe.
Congratulations to Stetson and Matt Deckard on delivering a high quality product at such an affordable price.
As this is my first new stetson (I have had vintage)I hope they continue with this benchmark for their other new products.
I am very tempted to pick up a new Stratoliner as well. Thanks to Delmonico for taking the lead in offering these new products, at a promotional price.
Would now like the colour options to widen please.

tommyK

One Too Many
tumblr_mxpn976xrW1r91qw7o2_250.jpg tumblr_mxpn976xrW1r91qw7o1_250.jpg

How do I sign up for the "wear testing" department at Stetson? From Matt Deckard's tumblr.

Last edited:

art_deco_fan

Familiar Face
No joke Tommyk! That is one nice Stetson! I love that tall crown! Looks like good things a coming that is for sure! I have one new hat and the rest are vintage, these new Stetsons are making me want a new hat!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, but

No joke Tommyk! That is one nice Stetson! I love that tall crown! Looks like good things a coming that is for sure! I have one new hat and the rest are vintage, these new Stetsons are making me want a new hat!
True, yet;
when...on a good day, certainly with a month or two of diligent searching (particularly if you are willing to stretch up a size), you can get a 45 year old (or better) Stetson 3x (or better) OR in VG to excellent condition for a quarter of the price- better felt, leather, workmanship & a certain Jen se qua, authenticity- I guess- -that fact still finds me quite ambivalent about ponying up $225+ for a new lid.

Caveat - all this I've opined & I've yet to more than see photos of the new offerings- and they DO look magnificent!
When finances permit, honestly, I dunno if I'll even TRY to resist.:eek:

We best all hope Mr. Decker will continue to use his powers for good, not evil, because if he can pull off what he apparently has with hatco, I can think of little standing between Matt & World Domination! lol

tommyK

One Too Many
That's the "Whippit" prototype, which looks like the Stetsonian, either way it's a good lookin' lid for half the price of vintage for us big noggins. I would love to have more vintage hats but I keep getting burned.

Picante

New in Town
This is killing me! And need some help! I'm in the queue for a VS creation in whiskey color, it's going to be a featherweight, however I love the new color Limestone but it's only offered in dress weight. So... I'm thinking about ordering a Stetsonian in Tawny and change my order at VS for a Limestone. My question is, if tawny and whiskey are similar colors?

art_deco_fan

Familiar Face
Well stated Rick! Most of my motivation is geared towards bolstering new hat sales. they don't make "vintage" any more, and as such, in finite supply. buying new keeps quality hats in the supply line and someday our new hats will be considered vintage! who knows someday vintage prices may outpace new hats. but until then I will gladly take a hit and order a high quality Stetson!
Cheers!

I picked up a open crown prototype at the Stetson Outlet Store today. I think it's probably the Stetsonian but not labeled on the sweatband. There was only one available and it's size 7 1/8 / 57cm so I will be putting up for sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner