Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open Road Style Hats

Depends on the vintage of the hat, AnA. I find the older versions 40's-60's of ORs tend to have higher, non-tapered crowns. After the 60's like most other hats, they tended to get smaller and more tapered. I had an OR I bought in the early 80's with a lower crown and a bit tapered, but the taper was modified some by the cattleman's crease.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
It depends what you mean by, "low." The most common open crown height for a 40's/50's Open Road was 5 1/2. It looked a bit taller because of the thin ribbon that was used. It was low compared to a 6 inch crown, but not low when compared to the hats of the late 50's/60's. It also depends what you mean by, "tapered." When the hat was turned so the side is facing you, there is a little front/back taper but that was VERY common with 40's/50's hats. Its not as straight as many 1920's/1930's hats, but its still a relatively full crown. The most popular crease during that time period was the C-crown/Diamond crown and the open crown block was purposefully tapered for a c-crown. Hat Corp of America used a "51" style block profile for many of their 40's/early 50's hats with "full" crown. Stetson also used a very similar block for their "full" crowned hats during that time period.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
5 1/2" seems like a normal height. The OR styles always seem like they're just shorter, like 5 1/4 or even 5". With a crease, it seems like a small fedora with a wide brim. Am I just looking at poor quality photo angles? I always assumed the thinner ribbon would make the crown look taller by default.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
5 1/2" seems like a normal height. The OR styles always seem like they're just shorter, like 5 1/4 or even 5". With a crease, it seems like a small fedora with a wide brim. Am I just looking at poor quality photo angles? I always assumed the thinner ribbon would make the crown look taller by default.

The wider a brim is, the shorter a crown looks and vice versa. People may crease the crown down to 4 3/4 inches at the front pinch and that may be whats giving the illusion of a shorter crown when coupled with a 2 3/4 inch brim. The stock crown height for a vintage open road was minimum 5 1/2.

Cell phone camera photos are like a fun house mirror. I can portray the same hat as a 4" crown and a 6" crown depending on if the photo angle is from below or above the brim.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Agree with Alan, it is hard to really tell with all the cellphone camera distortion and a ton of the photos here are products of these devices. I think the cattleman's crease in some ORs makes them look somewhat tapered too.

Here's my 7XCB OR taken with a longer focal length (85mm lens so very little distortion) - not too much taper I'd say. The hat had never been creased when I acquired it, so this is the original blocking.

D33_6477-L.jpg

D33_6480-L.jpg

Christopher Lange

New in Town
Agree with Alan, it is hard to really tell with all the cellphone camera distortion and a ton of the photos here are products of these devices. I think the cattleman's crease in some ORs makes them look somewhat tapered too.

Here's my 7XCB OR taken with a longer focal length (85mm lens so very little distortion) - not too much taper I'd say. The hat had never been creased when I acquired it, so this is the original blocking.

D33_6477-L.jpg

D33_6480-L.jpg

That's an incredible hat. is it an Akubra Campdraft?

RJR

Welcome to the FL.

David indicated in the post that it is a Stetson 7X (Clear Beaver). The Campdraft will have a similar look (as Akubra was contracted by Stetson to make Open Roads at one point), but the felt won't be as nice as the 7X.
Agreed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot