Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on which coat to wear

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I was faced with a decision on an overcoat today, and thought that for fun, I'd ask your opinions.

Today I'm wearing grey slacks, a navy blue mock-turtle sweater and a black and white houndstooth sport coat. I needed an overcoat to go with them, but the weather isn't really cold today. My choices were either a full dress-length dark grey wool overcoat, or a double-breasted navy blue pea coat that's much shorter - about 2-3" longer than the sports coat.

I opted for the navy blue pea coat, because its length is more comfortable (and less overkill) for today's weather. However, I'm aware that it is a less formal coat.

Oh, and the hat is a medium grey Whippet.

Which coat would you have worn, and why?? [huh]

zeus36

A-List Customer
Where were you going? What activities were you doing? How long were you going to be outside?

That should make replies easier.

If the weather was not that cold and you needed an overcoat, the peacoat would be my choice due to it being lighter. (of the two choices you offer) But I would have carried the sports jacket over my arm with the peacoat on, then switched at my destination and removed the hat.

I wear a Navy DB Bridge coat (full length) but it is not an issue item. It was made by a tailor and is half the weight of a 3/4 issue peacoat. It looks like a topcoat.

Maybe the best thing is to pick up a London Fog trench?
3/4 Peacoats were not designed to go over a sport jackets. And London Fog coats look better with hats.
IMHO

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
zeus36 said:
Where were you going? What activities were you doing?
Yes, to a place of business, I'd wear the overcoat, to a restaurant or bar, the pea coat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay