Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ordered an ELC B-3

M

member 16283

$77.37 on delivery. $31 duty, $35 HST. Declared value by ELC was only $238 CAD =)

M

member 16283

A few interesting notes: the zipper is Crown and has a copper spring mechanism that keeps it flipped down at all times. There is a button that snaps closed on the fluffy neck panels so I don't have to use the straps. The straps have 2 loops on the right neck flap that I can use to keep them out of the way.

Radz108

One of the Regulars
Sean,
How thick is the fur and skin? Is it a heavy jacket? How stiff is it initially? Does the "broken grain" look nice and does it seem sturdy?
Sorry for all the questions :)

M

member 16283

Wool for neck flaps 1.5" thick. Main body 1.25" thick. 0.5"/0.75" at zipper trim.

It's stiffer than US A horsehide at first. When you flex the arms, the shoulders pop up a bit. It's not a huge deal and it's already softening from just an hour of wear at home. The horsehide is 1mm thick. Seems flimsy by comparison to my US A HH A2. I would probably never consider an ELC A2 now...

The grain is pronounced all over right out of the package and look as awesome as one would expect. I actually see stray hairs all over the seal coloured sheepskin, which I presume is the underside. It will be fun to pick at it over the coming months.

I can't speak for the sturdiness of the sheepskin. I do, however have a pair of sheepskin slippers I've used for 2 winters so far from Slipper Factory in BC and that hide is quite tough. I also don't see any flaking, but I expect if I rub against some concrete or whatever it would happen immediately.

Radz108

One of the Regulars
Wool for neck flaps 1.5" thick. Main body 1.25" thick. 0.5"/0.75" at zipper trim.

It's stiffer than US A horsehide at first. When you flex the arms, the shoulders pop up a bit. It's not a huge deal and it's already softening from just an hour of wear at home. The horsehide is 1mm thick. Seems flimsy by comparison to my US A HH A2. I would probably never consider an ELC A2 now...

The grain is pronounced all over right out of the package and look as awesome as one would expect. I actually see stray hairs all over the seal coloured sheepskin, which I presume is the underside. It will be fun to pick at it over the coming months.

I can't speak for the sturdiness of the sheepskin. I do, however have a pair of sheepskin slippers I've used for 2 winters so far from Slipper Factory in BC and that hide is quite tough. I also don't see any flaking, but I expect if I rub against some concrete or whatever it would happen immediately.
That's one thick and warm sounding jacket!
I saw on the news that Ontario is going to get a bit of the cold snap that we are experiencing here in Alberta - hopefully this jacket will keep you nice and warm. :)
So what did your "Canada Goose" buddies have to say regarding your new"baby" ? :)
Also I think ELC kept the horsehide thinner on this jacket because it is layered on top of the sheepskin. If the HH were any thicker, I believe it would be too cumbersome to move around in. I'm sure if it was a Horsehide A2 which is predominantly horsehide, I believe the hide would be thicker.

Congrats on your purchase :)

RG

M

member 16283

Hahah we'll see what they say today at work. It's been warm recently so I was rocking my A2. It will be sad when temperatures rise over 5 C and I can't wear either one.

It could be thinner because of that. But oh well.

M

member 16283

1) the pocket, which I originally thought was not deep enough is actually perfect cut to be accessible under a car seat belt.
2) it's neutral, neither hot nor cold in 18 C

ampgoesto11

New in Town
Screw Aero. ELC FTW! I also ordered some airborne tan repro gloves from Epic Militaria. I love those guys.

Thank goodness for an opposing point of view with regard to aero. The constant sheepish gushing about them and their products on this web site is downright creepy. It reminds me of my kid's Spongebob movie when Plankton gains mind control over the Bikini bottom citizens and forces them to build Planktopia. Having owned a Long half belt, I could not tolerate the smell, the fit, nor the leaking color all over my nice leather car seats. Sold it.

M

member 16283

Thank goodness for an opposing point of view with regard to aero. The constant sheepish gushing about them and their products on this web site is downright creepy. It reminds me of my kid's Spongebob movie when Plankton gains mind control over the Bikini bottom citizens and forces them to build Planktopia. Having owned a Long half belt, I could not tolerate the smell, the fit, nor the leaking color all over my nice leather car seats. Sold it.

I love ELC. Great service, deliberate reducing duty for me, all good things.

M

member 16283

So, after having it for a few weeks, it's still stiff. Driving is not that fun, but when I first got my US Authentic HH A2 it was stiff too. I hope it will break in and soften up in the same way. My US A A2 is actually super soft now, so soft I wish it were stiffer haha. The first day I got my A2 I was walking out of the washroom at work and there were 2 girls in the hallway. One completely lost her train of thought when she saw me in it, remembered where she was trying to go, shook her head to clear it and walked off!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats