Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Orvis G-1

ygbsm

New in Town
Been looking at G-1 jackets; I like them a lot. I found an Orvis G-1 with a distressed finish on eBay. Looks like it would be a great daily wearer. How is Orvis G-1 jacket quality? Of course, if I could find an ELC, Aero or Good Wear Leather G-1 or M422 for a decent price I'd jump on it. Thanks..

Stand By

One Too Many
I've been an Orvis customer for a while and notice that, in all their catalogs, all their flying jackets are made in New York, NY - so who'd that be? That's the question.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I get Orvis catalogs (although I never order because their clothes are cut too big for my bod). I'm always struck by how pricy their leather jackets are for what you're getting.

Stand By

One Too Many
I agree Vespizzare, I too think they are expensive and over-priced as a rule.
But it pays to be very patient and wait until these things end up in the sale sections - and hold fire and then wait again until they have a clearance sale promo weekend and they add an extra 25% off the sale prices - with free shipping! I just pulled the trigger on a pair of their Authentic Twill Khakis that way - and even with the terrible Canadian Dollar against the US Dollar and handling fee/duties, I think they're well worth it and I did okay ...

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
I've been an Orvis customer for a while and notice that, in all their catalogs, all their flying jackets are made in New York, NY - so who'd that be? That's the question.

Some of the Orvis leather bomber jackets are made by The Cockpit, although I'm not 100% sure about this distressed model. It's rather similar to The Cockpit's vintage, washed goatskin G-1 but it's got a lot more of the distressing effect.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Some of the Orvis leather bomber jackets are made by The Cockpit, although I'm not 100% sure about this distressed model. It's rather similar to The Cockpit's vintage, washed goatskin G-1 but it's got a lot more of the distressing effect.

If its a Cockpit jacket, it'll be missing the seam that runs level with the top of the waistband knits, at the front where it zips up. Just like the old Cooper G-1s.
TBH, it'd have to be really nice, and really cheap, to make it worth buying over a real issue G-1.
Last year I bought 4 size 48s off eBay.
If you're a smaller size, there are some really nice jackets.

Jim B.

New in Town
That is one of those made in NJ jackets like Cooper, Cockpit, etc. You can tell by the one piece front panels. Military G-1's always had separate pieces of leather between the waistband and the zipper, there is a seam even with the top edge of the waistband to the zipper. Cooper was the first to eliminate the separate pieces of leather and have one piece panels. It must make it easier to build. I never liked it but all the G-1 jackets that come out of that factory have always been made that way. No other US makers do it. Excelled, Phaar, they still make them correctly. G&B makes the fronts correct as does US Authentic as do all the repro makers. It also has that zipper that the NJ factory uses. Never liked those either.I would say the Orvis is a fashion jacket that has just somewhat authentic styling and fit(S,M,L,XL). Much nicer than average mall jacket.

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
I'd agree, Jim B - Orvis cater to guys who like a certain look and appreciate details, but who aren't super-fussy about the more authentic historical details as we are around here. So they sell jackets like their N-1-inspired Naval jacket. I think it looks rather nice, myself! Most Orvis customers would neither know nor care about any difference between that and a Buzz Rickson N-1 - but they'd care about the price difference! (especially if they get it on sale - and they always go up on sale. It's a matter of timing).

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I like the look of that Orvis G-1. Most of the distressed jackets tend to be in lambskin, so goat jackets with that distressing aren't that common. You'll seldom find an original with that kind of wear, and it will take a long time for a new jacket to reach that point if it will at all, so if you're a fan of the distressing, nothing to lose.

Last edited:

ygbsm

New in Town
Thank you for your replies. I appreciate each and every one. I decided to pull the trigger on the Cockpit Avenger G-1; I'm going for style for civilian wear. I am an Air Force officer assigned to a "joint base" that also has Navy. So there are some Navy fliers with their seal G-1s walking about in uniform. I have always liked the look and fit of the M422 and G-1. So I have been wanting a G-1 that wasn't military issue so I wouldn't be seen as being "out of uniform"! Though I was issued an A-2 back in 2006 (I was in Aeromedical Evacuation), I preferred to wear the CWU when on missions - it was just a lot more comfortable. I have seen a couple Navy guys who were wearing non-issue G-1s with patches of their various tours as part of their civilian attire; no one gives them flack as the jackets are obviously not military issue (brown, not seal. Removable faux mouton collar, etc). I guess gone are the days when a Navy flier could patch up their issue G-1 jacket and wear them proudly in uniform.. I do have a russet Good Wear Leather A-2 jacket (Rough Wear W535–AC–27752) that has some custom made layered leather patches (by Sean at jbmilart.com) sewn on. These are copies of my current unit of assignment's patches from WW2 when it was first formed. They are the 34th Troop Carrier Squadron, 9th Air Force and HQ AAF patches along with a leather name tag from jbmilart. This is a great forum, thanks to you all. Have a great weekend..

Deacon211

One Too Many
Interesting that you don't see patched up G-1s anymore. I don't think it was common exactly when I was still in, but not unheard of either.

I wondered if became passé in recent years...I would have thought opposite with the war and the return of nose art and color on some of the jets.

The Cockpit jackets aren't bad. Leather is a little floppy, but the cut is actually fairly flattering and not baggy.

Wear it in good health!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edward

Bartender
I'd hazard a guess that not all USN pilots are big Top Gun fans, or at least they get sick of the references being made every time they step put in a patched jacket. Maybe the existence of so many cheaper copies of the jacket from that film have taken the edge off the style in their eyes?

ygbsm

New in Town
Didn't think of the movie Top Gun angle (never saw it, but have been encouraged to do so); I wouldn't doubt if that had turned off a lot of pilots from patching up their G-1s back when they could.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I'd hazard a guess that not all USN pilots are big Top Gun fans, or at least they get sick of the references being made every time they step put in a patched jacket. Maybe the existence of so many cheaper copies of the jacket from that film have taken the edge off the style in their eyes?

That's probably exactly right. I was at an event where many of us old timers had been encouraged to wear our jackets.

Most did, but many took them off afterwards so as not to look like "Top Gun Wanna bees". The fad kind of soured the tradition.

Weird huh?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy