Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OT: My parents

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
ouch!!!!!!!:eusa_doh:

Oh man that looks sore....well, that's your move sorted-not caught you on facebook yet, I'm usually on in the evenings (probably afternoon where you are!)
Take care
x

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
oh no!You really didn't need that to happen.:( I don't have alot of personal experience with alzeimers,family wise i mean,but i have worked in nursing homes & spent alot of time with ppl who had dementia or alzeimers.I really feel for you ,i have been thinking of you & will continue to send positive thoughts & prayers your way.I hope your hand gets better asap.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
update: the hand I got drawn ;) , is on the mend! still very colorful but that is to be expected. my spirit pushes me forward and i look forward to each day as a gift.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
*update* We got back 2 days ago after spending 4 days with my folks... def not what i had hoped to find, however, i've got a few things in order that i had hoped to accomplish. I went to the DR. with both of them, turns out my dad got tested by the doc with me in the room... he barely passed and dr. said he is worse than mom with alzhiemers :( and diabeties is also bad because he is NOT taking the medication'S... doc said he is surprised he has not gone into a coma :eek: :eek: his eyesight is; blind in 1 eye, 20/60 in other and full of cateracts. Mom has had a NASTY bladder infection (i will spare you the details) but both doc/nurse/myself found out she'd been hiding out on any complaints and refuses to take her antibiotics.

To say the very least... I am an emoitional WREAK! my kids think i'm being a witch and tell me to chill out! how so? when I am doing all things AND... have no one to even wine/dine me :eek:
anyways, i won't clog the board with more things but i am trying my best and hoping to maintain my sanity as well as integrity and of course, my physical appearence ;)

xxSonia

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
Kitty_Sheridan said:
ouch!!!!!!!:eusa_doh:

Oh man that looks sore....well, that's your move sorted-not caught you on facebook yet, I'm usually on in the evenings (probably afternoon where you are!)
Take care
x

Kitty - I am on facebook on/off but!, i refrain from posting personal life details as one never knows who may be stalking me ;)

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
Gosh i am so very sorry Shopgirl,i really wish i could help you in some way:( I thought i was having a stressful day today (it's school holidays)because i had the 4 kids on my own but i really should remember to count my blessings.
I will continue to keep you in my thoughts & prayers .If you ever feel like ranting ,venting or just talking to someone feel free to email me.*hugs*

Puzzicato

One Too Many
shopgirl61 said:
To say the very least... I am an emoitional WREAK! my kids think i'm being a witch and tell me to chill out! how so? when I am doing all things AND... have no one to even wine/dine me :eek:
anyways, i won't clog the board with more things but i am trying my best and hoping to maintain my sanity as well as integrity and of course, my physical appearence ;)

xxSonia

I think you are a bit entitled to being a witch at the moment! Tell your kids to make you a cup of tea, draw you a bath and then you can maybe relax a bit.

I'm really sorry to hear things had deteriorated more than you hope.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry to hear that things are as you described. But, the "good news" in all this is that you are there and can help oversee things. During the time I was a care giver to my aunt and Dad, I tried to concentrate on the positive things - no matter how small they appeared to be. I know that things can be difficult, and sometimes they can get really, really difficult. It does help to have an outlet of some kind, so if you need to "yell", like others have said here, there are folks here who will listen to you. Just remember, you are not alone in all of this.

Good luck to you and your family, and know that there are a lot of folks who are thinking and praying for you.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
Update

Hoping this doesn't bore anyone :eek: But for the love of vintage,,,, I will post an update.

I moved both my parents into an assisted living home... VERY upscale and top notch! it turns out my dad's initial diognosis made by the Neurologist that I took him to, made a preliminary dio of vascular dementia supported by the findings of his MRI brain scan :( I was prepared for the worst, needless to say, however,,,,, this is killing me:( My mother, i took to a GYN dr. because her primary care m.d. did not think to do so :rolleyes: Dr. suspects she has uterine cancer and in an 82 yo patient w/ dementia = not good news.
I will know by mid-week the next step for her. DAMM! wth didn't she follow dr's orders umm.. 20+ yrs ago:mad: She and dad are doing o-k-a-y in their new surroundings... Me? I am riddled w/ grief over having to go through their, now mine, mid-century mod house... it is more of a daunting task to say the least when you are un-earthing things you never knew existed :eek:

ok, nuf said. i'm all pooped out and miserable for company that can relate....

S.

Big Man

Sorry to hear of your (and your parents') most recent setbacks and troubles. I know it can (and is) a difficult time for all.

For what it's worth, there is one thing that I learned from my journey with family in their later days. There are just some things in life that you can't do one damn thing about. It doesn't matter if it could have been avoided in the past, right here and now is what it is and nothing you can do will change it. So, understanding that, find something positive to concentrate on. Something, no matter how small, either in the present or in the past, and think of that. Don't think about the bad. There is nothing you can do to change that, so just don't think about it.

There are more folks than you will ever know who thinking of you and your family. As my dear old Daddy used to say, "hang in there, wallpaper."

beth

Familiar Face
I am very sorry, I know it must be hard to be going through all this, stay strong! You are in my thoughts!

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
Hi Shopgirl,i have been thinking of u & hoping u were ok.I wanted to email u but i figured u would be pretty busy & i didn't want to bother you.
Things seem to be going from bad to worse & i'm so sorry about that.I know you have a momentous amount on your plate at the moment but try & take a little of Big mans advice if u can & try & remember to make a little time for yourself & de -stress otherwise you will burn out.
Your constantly in my thoughts & prayers
*hugs*

Big Man

Sad news ...

For those of you who have been following shopgirl61's situation with her parents:

I received a note from shopgirl61 this morning informing me that her father passed away. She said that he fell ill a week ago with kidney failure as a complication from his diabetes. She and the family brought him home to die in his home (as he had always wanted), and together with hospice, cared for him hands on. When he passed, he was surrounded by his family.

Shopgirl61's father was a Korean War veteran and a beloved professional musician who instilled his love of "real" music from the good old days. His name was Alberto.

Having lost way too many loved ones in the not too distant past, I know the sorrow shopgirl61 is going through at this time. Please keep her and her family in your thoughts and prayers.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Thank you for keeping us up to date, Big Man.

ShopGirl, if you're reading this, I'm so very sorry for your loss. I hope the memories your father left behind help you through this. Thinking about you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy