Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTHER THAN eBAY Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
I'm new to brimmed hats and thought I would check out some local thrift shops to see what they had to offer. I was surprised how many nice fur felt fedoras and other styles I found. The problem was almost all of them were too small for my 7 1/4 bean. My question is: is it worth buying a stretcher to stretch out the size of hat that were just a little bit small for my head? I'm thinking this would be a way to find some bargains and build up a nice little collection of wearable hats.

I'm new to brimmed hats and thought I would check out some local thrift shops to see what they had to offer. I was surprised how many nice fur felt fedoras and other styles I found. The problem was almost all of them were too small for my 7 1/4 bean. My question is: is it worth buying a stretcher to stretch out the size of hat that were just a little bit small for my head? I'm thinking this would be a way to find some bargains and build up a nice little collection of wearable hats.
If the hats are only a size too small, or a little "snug" that is a good idea. There are a number of threads here on the Lounge about stretching hats. Google is your friend (just add Fedora Lounge to the search term). Grab those hats! There i always someone around here who would benefit from the finds. Post some pictures of them. And......Welcome to the Fray!

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
If the hats are only a size too small, or a little "snug" that is a good idea. There are a number of threads here on the Lounge about stretching hats. Google is your friend (just add Fedora Lounge to the search term). Grab those hats! There i always someone around here who would benefit from the finds. Post some pictures of them. And......Welcome to the Fray!
Thanks for the tips and encouragement. I have a gorgeous arts and crafts solid oak hall tree that my Dad built as a HS shop project in the early 1930s. My Mom painted it a horrible antique avocado green in the 1960s. Two years ago I completely restored and refinished it with some beautiful cast iron hooks from England. It has 8 hooks, I have five hats. That may be a bit too many. I think I'll just keep 2 or 3 seasonal regulars on it. I;ll probably need to clear my closet shelf for storage. At least that's the plan start out.

Attachments

• Hat Rack 1.jpg
    Hat Rack 1.jpg
    616.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Hat Rack 2.jpg
    Hat Rack 2.jpg
    625.5 KB · Views: 117
  • Hat Rack 3.jpg
    Hat Rack 3.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Thanks for the tips and encouragement. I have a gorgeous arts and crafts solid oak hall tree that my Dad built as a HS shop project in the early 1930s. My Mom painted it a horrible antique avocado green in the 1960s. Two years ago I completely restored and refinished it with some beautiful cast iron hooks from England. It has 8 hooks, I have five hats. That may be a bit too many. I think I'll just keep 2 or 3 seasonal regulars on it. I;ll probably need to clear my closet shelf for storage. At least that's the plan start out.
Very nice looking rack. And such a legacy being that old. It is truly a treasure.

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
Very nice looking rack. And such a legacy being that old. It is truly a treasure.
Yes, with the exception of the fancy hooks, t's pretty simple, but it has meaning to me. I also like using it in the way it was meant to be used. Back in the day, a rack like this was present in just about every house and workplace in the country. It's been around my entire life, but was always populated with coats and ball caps. I think a few classic fedoras will compliment it nicely and bring it back to it's intended purpose.

RJR

Yes, with the exception of the fancy hooks, t's pretty simple, but it has meaning to me. I also like using it in the way it was meant to be used. Back in the day, a rack like this was present in just about every house and workplace in the country. It's been around my entire life, but was always populated with coats and ball caps. I think a few classic fedoras will compliment it nicely and bring it back to it's intended purpose.
You are very fortunate to have that beautiful piece.

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
You are very fortunate to have that beautiful piece.

I found this yesterday in a thrift shop. I don't know if It had a model name but t's a vintage Resistol Beaver Fifteen Kitten Finish Fedora. It has a Cavanagh Edge and is in near pristine shape.

I had to reach into the back of a case to get it and before I even layed eyes on it I knew from touch that it was a very high quality hat.

I bought it at a bargain price but it's too small for my head. I wear a 7 1/4 and I believe it's a 7.

So I need a bit of advice. It's such a nice hat I WANT to wear it. I did some research and rather than a simple stretch, I believe it may need to be reblocked and resized.

I am new to felt hats so I'm not sure which way to go. If it's resized, it's my understanding that the sweat band will need to be replaced. I know sweatbands are replaced all the time, but with a vintage hat, I'm concerned that replacing the band would affect the hat as a collectible hat in the same way that refinishing an antique desk destroys it value and collectability.

Secondly, I'm a rather large man. Would resizing the hat affect the overall proportions of the hat to match my face and body. I suppose that's a question that would require the judgement of a hatter, but it is a question on my mind.

So, to get to the nub of my question should I:
1) Get it resized and enjoy wearing such a lovely hat?
2) See if I can stretch it to preserve it's original condition but still wear?
3) Leave it alone. Put it back in it's box and preserve it?

Thanks for your advice.

Attachments

• IMG_3445.jpg
    IMG_3445.jpg
    762.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_3446.jpg
    IMG_3446.jpg
    605.5 KB · Views: 116
I found this yesterday in a thrift shop. I don't know if It had a model name but t's a vintage Resistol Beaver Fifteen Kitten Finish Fedora. It has a Cavanagh Edge and is in near pristine shape.

I had to reach into the back of a case to get it and before I even layed eyes on it I knew from touch that it was a very high quality hat.

I bought it at a bargain price but it's too small for my head. I wear a 7 1/4 and I believe it's a 7.

So I need a bit of advice. It's such a nice hat I WANT to wear it. I did some research and rather than a simple stretch, I believe it may need to be reblocked and resized.

I am new to felt hats so I'm not sure which way to go. If it's resized, it's my understanding that the sweat band will need to be replaced. I know sweatbands are replaced all the time, but with a vintage hat, I'm concerned that replacing the band would affect the hat as a collectible hat in the same way that refinishing an antique desk destroys it value and collectability.

Secondly, I'm a rather large man. Would resizing the hat affect the overall proportions of the hat to match my face and body. I suppose that's a question that would require the judgement of a hatter, but it is a question on my mind.

So, to get to the nub of my question should I:
1) Get it resized and enjoy wearing such a lovely hat?
2) See if I can stretch it to preserve it's original condition but still wear?
3) Leave it alone. Put it back in it's box and preserve it?

Thanks for your advice.
Stretching works for nudging a hat that's slightly too small to fit you. Sometimes you can take it up a size, but I've never seen it work in a satisfaying way taking it up two sizes. Reblocking could work but it would come down to saving the felt body, because it would mean replacing the sweatband and probably the ribbon too. My vote would be number 3, or a number 4: put it in the classifieds and sell it to or trade it with a fellow lounger (and keep your eyes open for a future one in your size).
All the members here can relate to the feeling of coming across a great hat that's not your size.

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
Stretching works for nudging a hat that's slightly too small to fit you. Sometimes you can take it up a size, but I've never seen it work in a satisfaying way taking it up two sizes. Reblocking could work but it would come down to saving the felt body, because it would mean replacing the sweatband and probably the ribbon too. My vote would be number 3, or a number 4: put it in the classifieds and sell it to or trade it with a fellow lounger (and keep your eyes open for a future one in your size).
All the members here can relate to the feeling of coming across a great hat that's not your size.
Thank you Mr. Cab,

I took the hat into the Resistol Outlet Store in Garland, TX today and talked with the manager. He did some gentle stretching, but we both pretty much agreed with your assessment to just leave it alone. The manager told me to get a modern replacement would cost upwards of $300.

So I'm left with option #4 selling it or trading for a hat my size. Is there a classified section here on Fedora Lounge? Or where would you suggest I try to sell it?

This sweet Resistol wasn't the only nice hat I found. There were 5 or 6 others of similar vintage from different makers. The Resistol Kitten Finish was just the pick of the litter.

I think, considering my luck finding it on my first time out, that I should keep scrounging around in resale shops to see if I can get lightening to strike twice. :)

Thank you Mr. Cab,

I took the hat into the Resistol Outlet Store in Garland, TX today and talked with the manager. He did some gentle stretching, but we both pretty much agreed with your assessment to just leave it alone. The manager told me to get a modern replacement would cost upwards of $300.

So I'm left with option #4 selling it or trading for a hat my size. Is there a classified section here on Fedora Lounge? Or where would you suggest I try to sell it?

This sweet Resistol wasn't the only nice hat I found. There were 5 or 6 others of similar vintage from different makers. The Resistol Kitten Finish was just the pick of the litter.

I think, considering my luck finding it on my first time out, that I should keep scrounging around in resale shops to see if I can get lightening to strike twice. :)

Yes, we have a classified section.

Thank you Mr. Cab,

There is a classifieds section on the lounge here you might want to try. As for a modern replacement; that would require going custom I think (which is costly). But if you keep trying at thrift stores or vintage clothing shops you're bound to find something good in the end (most of the members here have had some luck with that).

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
To use a hat jack on a fedora, you have to steam all the way around the brim and the sides of that hat while the hat jack is adjusted to expand the hat a bit. If you hat jack too much you will get a bump from the hat jack, so you may not always be able to stretch a hat with a hat jack enough to go too much larger. Hat jacks can also make the brim go out a bit "wonky" looking, so then you would have to iron the brim a bit using a clean white clothe between the brim and the iron so your don't ruin the hat or the iron while using it on a high steam setting.

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
I found this Dobbs in a local antique store today. It's in very nice shape and listed for $40. Can anybody venture an age? The lining says Dobbs New York and the sweat band says Genuine Fur Felt. It's very light. It fits my noggin. I'm wondering if I should pick it up. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_3462.jpg
    IMG_3462.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3463.jpg
    IMG_3463.jpg
    662.7 KB · Views: 103

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
In the same shop, I saw this hat block in my size for $80. Other than serving as a hat stand, would there be any other use to have a block around the house?

Attachments

• IMG_3464.jpg
    IMG_3464.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3465.jpg
    IMG_3465.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 92

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
In the same shop, I saw this hat block in my size for $80. Other than serving as a hat stand, would there be any other use to have a block around the house?
I'd grab the block and leave the hat. Hat looks to be of modern manufacture rather than vintage. A good block can be handy if you have lots of hats to maintain, or if you want to give a go at refurbishing or building hats. Or, a good block can be trading fodder to a Lounger with too many hats and no block...

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
I'd grab the block and leave the hat. Hat looks to be of modern manufacture rather than vintage. A good block can be handy if you have lots of hats to maintain, or if you want to give a go at refurbishing or building hats. Or, a good block can be trading fodder to a Lounger with too many hats and no block...
Thanks! I did walk away from the hat. What makes you believe it is modern? Just wondering what you're looking at.

Also, I may go back for the block.

Thanks! I did walk away from the hat. What makes you believe it is modern? Just wondering what you're looking at.

Also, I may go back for the block.

Liner, sweat, size tag, factory crease, brim width and general overall appearance. Not necessarily in that order. Stick around here long enough and a hat like that will likely be dismissed by you as just another recent production Hatco lid as time goes on. Hang around here, check the hat threads and do your searches on Google, ending your query with fedora lounge.

Be prepared to get deep in your pockets, encouraged by all of us along the way and welcome to the lounge. By the way, if you're a 7 1/8, you'll have some opportunities to pick up some nice pieces. Grab the block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21