Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTHER THAN eBAY Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Thanks! I did walk away from the hat. What makes you believe it is modern? Just wondering what you're looking at.

Also, I may go back for the block.
On a Dobbs, that little ® after the logo on the sweatband was my first clue. The liner crest and other details followed. The indicators are different with each brand, Bama summed it up pretty well. Hang out here, gain knowledge. And lots of hats.:)
Do get that block.

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
[QUOTE="By the way, if you're a 7 1/8, you'll have some opportunities to pick up some nice pieces."[/QUOTE]

Ok ... about size. I have been trying a lot of hats on lately and detect some variance in the size printed on the label and the way the hat feels on my head. Sometimes 7 1/8 fits nicely, sometimes they seem tight. Similarly, sometimes 7 1/4 fits nicely, sometimes they seem loose.

I am searching local thrift shops for vintage fur felt hats, but I picked up a 7 1/4R Dobbs wool felt last week on sale at the Resistol Outlet Store just to have something to wear.

The Dobbs is a smidgen loose but fits well when I pull it down.

I would think hats of the same size would fit the same, but that's not what I'm finding. Is it me, or are the variations real?

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
On a Dobbs, that little ® after the logo on the sweatband was my first clue. ... :)
Do get that block.

That ® had me thinking for a second. Thanks for the tip.

About the block, if you notice the lower part tapers to the neck. There are several straight sided fedora blocks on eBay right now in about the same price range. I wonder if I should lurk on eBay until the right one turns up rather than getting this one?

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
That ® had me thinking for a second. Thanks for the tip.

About the block, if you notice the lower part tapers to the neck. There are several straight sided fedora blocks on eBay right now in about the same price range. I wonder if I should lurk on eBay until the right one turns up rather than getting this one?
I wasn't sure if that was a perspective thing with the block pic. My eyesight isn't good. You would want a straight sided block rather than one that has taper. Looking at it again I see it's a block for a milliner (ladies' hatmaker) by the size stated in inches rather than in a hat size.

[QUOTE="By the way, if you're a 7 1/8, you'll have some opportunities to pick up some nice pieces."

Ok ... about size. I have been trying a lot of hats on lately and detect some variance in the size printed on the label and the way the hat feels on my head. Sometimes 7 1/8 fits nicely, sometimes they seem tight. Similarly, sometimes 7 1/4 fits nicely, sometimes they seem loose.

I am searching local thrift shops for vintage fur felt hats, but I picked up a 7 1/4R Dobbs wool felt last week on sale at the Resistol Outlet Store just to have something to wear.

The Dobbs is a smidgen loose but fits well when I pull it down.

I would think hats of the same size would fit the same, but that's not what I'm finding. Is it me, or are the variations real?[/QUOTE]
All hats are different, some run smallish ( Borsalino in my experience), some are just right. You sound like a 7 1/8 Long Oval may be your sweet spot. You will see that as "LO" around the Lounge. A good website that is cited often is The Hatted Professor. He has dating guides for Dobbs as well as other brands, read, read, read.

And... again, welcome to the fray!

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Friday was my wife's Birthday and our 28th anniversary.So I went to some estate sales.Found a couple of cool boxes with great hats inside.My bad luck is they are 7 1/8,but good luck for someone else.They will go to classifieds for sale.First is a Knox box with a Mallory 15.Next is a Stetson box with a I'm guessing 40s Stetson 3X.The hats could use a cleaning but are in great shape.
ra9lZId.jpg
9vJFcSq.jpg
xBTKUWw.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Friday was my wife's Birthday and our 28th anniversary.So I went to some estate sales.Found a couple of cool boxes with great hats inside.My bad luck is they are 7 1/8,but good luck for someone else.They will go to classifieds for sale.First is a Knox box with a Mallory 15.Next is a Stetson box with a I'm guessing 40s Stetson 3X.The hats could use a cleaning but are in great shape.
ra9lZId.jpg
9vJFcSq.jpg
xBTKUWw.jpg
Greetings Dogman et al:
Happy anniv/birthday to you and the wife. I think i love her! I wish i’d had one that would appreciate vintage. I had to take mine to the car dealership for that kinda reaction. Ha. She’s happily now my Ex.
Keep em flying.
Be well. Bowen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner