Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Out of the Closet?

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Bonnie,

there are people that just don´t get it and I don´t really see what dressing pretty has to do with hormons. :p (exept with the stares of males that prefer looking at a nicely dressed lady)

Not all of my friends really get what I do. A friend of mine that I didn´t had contact with for years asked me what for I take my pin ups pics if I don´t get paid and stuff. Not everyone gets why I dress this way, but most agree this style flatters me the most. Plus.... They are used to me beeing a little bi excentric.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Oh yes, I can totally sympathize. My mother used to think there *had* to be something wrong with me because I wouldn't dress in modern styles, and when I was a teenager she used to really give me a hard time about it. We actually had a pretty serious fight about it at one point, when she refused to go into a restaurant with me until I took off "that ridiculous hat."

A lot of people seem to feel threatened by anyone who doesn't fall right into line with everyone else. We live in a world that pays lip service to individuality, but in reality you can expect to get guff if you don't keep your desk lined right up straight with the floor tiles like everybody else. Eventually you learn to just roll your eyes and go on about your business and let the conformists conform all they want.

(Oddly enough, I actually *was* diagnosed with a hormone imbalance once, but I don't think that really has anything to do with my tastes in fashion! I'll have to ask my endocrinologist next time I see him...)

decodoll

Practically Family
I know there are a fair amount of vintage dressers in San Francisco compared to other areas, but I still don't see any of them very often just out and about. Mostly, I see Rockabilly. I mean, Rebecca D and I just found out we work very close to one another, but I've never seen her!

On the topic of friends and family thinking you're weird for dressing vintage, I've never dressed what would be termed "normal" and ever since high school (1980's) there have been bits of vintage mixed in my wardrobe, so it's not like there ever was a time where I gave everyone a sudden style shock. If your friend can't except you for who you are in whatever you might choose to wear than I guess she's a rather superficial friend, and I wouldn't bother with keeping in touch with her.

decodoll

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
Oh yes, I can totally sympathize. My mother used to think there *had* to be something wrong with me because I wouldn't dress in modern styles, and when I was a teenager she used to really give me a hard time about it. We actually had a pretty serious fight about it at one point, when she refused to go into a restaurant with me until I took off "that ridiculous hat."

I am lucky in that my parents never gave me a hard time for anything I chose to wear. (well...unless it was too short! Think 70's short shorts! :p ) My mom used to just laugh and laugh at the expressions on people's faces when they saw me pass by (this was in the 80's in Sacramento) in one of my vintage hats!! lol

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Thanks gals, I knew I could count on you.

(My friend has since recanted some of her words. But I'll tread softly with her when it comes to talking about my vintage tastes.)

Even though we're spread all across the U.S. and the rest of the world, there's something special about the connectedness you feel with a person when you find someone that shares your interests. And to think, I thought I was all alone! I just love this forum!

Too many people today get caught up in the "cookie cutter" mold of modern style and if someone looks different than the rest of the crowd, they assume something must be wrong with them.

This is sadly very true. My 16 yr old step-daughter seems to think this is something I just latched on to and wil quit.lol
Since graduating HS I have always toyed with wearing different styles so my family is used to it. There was a time in my late teens when I went 1960's ala Barbara Feldon.
My true love has always been the 30's-mid 50's. I remember when I was about 15 making pill box hats out of card board and gluing fabric to them.

Not auntil I found this forum did I realize that all of this (dressing, sewing etc) was a possiblity. It never occured to me that other people did this.

As for my friends reaction, well I only have one really close friend that I don't even see very often. She hasn't ever said anything about it to me.
My husband on the other hand, loves it and he is the main one that counts!:D

P

Paul

CherryRed said:
Not auntil I found this forum did I realize that all of this (dressing, sewing etc) was a possiblity. It never occured to me that other people did this.
I also am one who did not realize until I joined here also that vintage fashions were worn just like any other clothes , collected yes, but seeing these fabulous styles worn and cherished today is really great.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
decodoll said:
I know there are a fair amount of vintage dressers in San Francisco compared to other areas, but I still don't see any of them very often just out and about. Mostly, I see Rockabilly. I mean, Rebecca D and I just found out we work very close to one another, but I've never seen her!

On the topic of friends and family thinking you're weird for dressing vintage, I've never dressed what would be termed "normal" and ever since high school (1980's) there have been bits of vintage mixed in my wardrobe, so it's not like there ever was a time where I gave everyone a sudden style shock. If your friend can't except you for who you are in whatever you might choose to wear than I guess she's a rather superficial friend, and I wouldn't bother with keeping in touch with her.
Looking back on the '80s even if you did dress "normal" it was still quite horrible! :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Girl Friday said:
Looking back on the '80s even if you did dress "normal" it was still quite horrible! :p

Y'know, I sometimes think that was actually a big part of why I was so stubborn about my look as a teenager -- I hit my teens at probably the lowest ebb of the 70s-look, carrying over into the early '80s, and I just *couldn't* bring myself to even try them on. Ick, ick, ick!!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
BonnieJean said:
Have any of you ever had someone think you were a little "unbalanced" because you dressed vintage?

Umm. I was that someone.

And I was disappointed in myself for feeling that way, but I couldn't help how I felt. The outfit just looked like a costume to me. Of course, I didn't say anything, but I think my friend could read it. I'm cringing as I write this.

This was before I joined the Fedora Lounge. Had it been after, I still might not have liked the look, but my reaction would have been more positive.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I think we've probably all been guilty of misjudging people at one time or another. That saying that "you can't judge a book by its cover" is so true. I know that I won't be quick to judge others because I know now how it feels to be on the "other side". But life is too short to dwell on what others think. The important thing is to be true to yourself. I just wished I learned this lesson years ago. Better late than never!

magneto

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
My mother used to think there *had* to be something wrong with me because I wouldn't dress in modern styles, and when I was a teenager she used to really give me a hard time about it. We actually had a pretty serious fight about it at one point, when she refused to go into a restaurant with me until I took off "that ridiculous hat."

:eek: You must be my doppelganger or long-lost sister... was the fight when you were dressed up to go out to family Christmas dinner, 1988, by any chance? lol

anna_newman

New in Town
I live in Boston, and I rarely see anyone dressed in vintage.

This explains the funny looks my friend and I kept getting! Last week we were in the Boston area wearing really tame vintage, stuff that would be totally under the radar here in the San Francisco area (60s hawaiian sheath sundresses, 50s blouses with print skirts, that sort of thing), but everywhere we went people would sort of stare. Very polite, but kind of like they were confused. I went to a great vintage store called The Garment District in Cambridge, but even the shoppers there weren't dressed vintage.

And I have to say, I have never seen so much preppy clothing, Lilly Pulitzer and the like, in my life than along the CT shoreline. wow. I guess one of those women tricked out head to toe in coordinated lime green and pink with the quilted matching tote bag and all would be a novelty here in the same way we were to them.

Rosie

One Too Many
I get stared at ALL OF THE TIME. Truthfully, that has a lot to do with me being the amazon that I am, having nearly waist length loc looking extension and on top of all of this, I wear vintage clothing. Most of the time, I get complimented but every once in a while like Anna Newman said, I notice that look of confusion on someone's face. Person:
209050.gif
. Me: lol Usually, I just smile and say hello or on occasion, I just stare back until they turn away which isn't very lady like or nice but, ah well.

I do have a cousin who all of our lives has just thought I was weird and I guess in a way I might be, it has to be the artist in me. She'll comment on the occasions that I see her that I look like Lucy or most recently pointed out that I resembled a flapper, (my style is more new look) and she totally doesn't get the gloves or the parasol. But, I don't think much of her clothing choices either. At our last family reunion, one of the events was a cruise to nowhere where we were on a boat for about 5 hours, just enjoying the scenery of the city, etc. I did the nautical thing, crisp white dress, crisp white gloves, she showed up in knee high gold (I can't make this stuff up) gladiator sandals and gold short shorts :eek: and I'M the weird one.

Sorry to go on and on but, you just have to be true to yourself. Do what you feel is right, be that wearing a wonderful vintage frock and gloves or gold gladiator sandals lol .

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
In the little town I live in, the only people wearing vintage are me and the little old guy down the road who still wears his 70s leisure suit to church every Sunday.;)

But 20 miles down the road in Asheville (NC) it is a completely different story. Lots of people wear vintage; everything from complete era getups, to a mishmash look of everything, to one carefully selected piece. A friend of mine owns a vintage store that that is thriving, and she is her own best advertising. She goes to all public events, completely decked out, usually as a 50s girl. People go nuts over how great she looks!

Lizzie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24