Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overdue for a trim and getting nervous...

TheNightingale

New in Town
So we have recently moved to Ohio from WV outside of Pittsburgh, where I had a fabulous hairdresser who thoroughly understood what I wanted; she was even willing to do a modified Middy for my long, thick hair (I prefer length; short hair makes me look like a sad mushroom). Unfortunately, my hair is now TOO long...I'm overdue for a trim and very much need to find a new hairdresser. I am getting awfully nervous! :fear:

In short I'm just looking for commiseration. It'll make me feel better. Unless you know of an awesome hairdresser in the Columbus area! Most of the few women I know here have...well, modern haircuts, if that makes sense, so I can't really ask. Angie's List (yes, actually signed up for just a year to get our bearings) only tells a gal so much! Is my fear totally irrational? Or does anyone else get nervous when trying to find a new hair-cutter?

(To be honest, I find that many, many hairdressers frown on hair that goes past the shoulders...it's annoying and adds to my fear. )

virgi

New in Town
the best thing to do is purchase a reproduction hair guide and do it yourself. It's a lot easier to cut long hair by yourself, then it is to cut short hair. I'm so glad I learned. Saves me a lot of money, and I'm usually happy with the way it turns out

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ I don't blame you! I'm very confident with my hair and makeup, and even home hair coloring, but there's no way on earth I would ever cut my own hair. My hair is extremely thick and coarse, naturally wavy and lots of cowlicks - I have very difficult hair, and I know I'd screw it up.

Hopefully someone here will know of a salon in your area that you could try. Otherwise I would suggest perhaps looking on craigslist, or posting an inquiry there.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
When I had to find a new hair stylist, I eyeballed every female head I saw. If someone had a cut that appeared to be well done and looked good on them, I'd ask who they went to. Even if their hair was different than mine (thick and not the best friend of foggy weather), I figured a good cut meant the stylist knew what she was doing. I'd also go by salons and casually peek inside to see how the stylists worked, what their clients looked like and the overall vibe of the salon.

Hang on till you find someone you're comfortable with - pin it, tie it, stick it under a lovely hat - only a few things more miserable than a bad hair cut! :)

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
I've just come across this thread and have to say I really empathize with your plight! I haven't cut my hair in over a year from sheer fear. It's now way past my shoulders and getting really hard to set, so I need a cut badly. Just wish I could fine someone to give me the middy cut I want and not cut it the way they want to. I've yet to find a hairdresser that's listened to me! My friend's niece who's a hairdresser told me I need to find a really old school stylist as they don't get taught this way of cutting anymore. :(

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
the best thing to do is purchase a reproduction hair guide and do it yourself. It's a lot easier to cut long hair by yourself, then it is to cut short hair. I'm so glad I learned. Saves me a lot of money, and I'm usually happy with the way it turns out

I know most will shudder at the idea of cutting their own hair, but don't completely rule it out. There is a lot of truth in the saying "If you want something done right, do it yourself." :)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I'm inclined to agree with C-dot here, i'm quite tempted to tinker with my hair at the minute. I went to my stylist and asked for a long middy. Basically i got the rounded back, but hardly any layering on the sides. (Lovely stylist, but a little nervous about doing vintage hair, strange, as she did the best Betty bangs ever). I am about two days away from plucking up courage to pick up the scissors. Plus i reckon if i balls it up it won't matter, seeing as i try and set my hair most days, so if the layers are wonky it won't show and it is long enough, that if the worst comes to the worst and i decimate it, then i will still be able to have a bob!!

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
I agree, I have cut my hair myself for about 10 years now! And I've had a variety of styles and lengths, all cut myself. And I hasten to add, I'm not a trained hair-dresser! It's really quite simple to give yourself a trim, and you can always start off taking very little off to get the hang of it and build up your nerve! C-Dot's middy instructions are really easy to follow too! (thanks C-dot! I used them just the other day!)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I agree, I have cut my hair myself for about 10 years now! And I've had a variety of styles and lengths, all cut myself. And I hasten to add, I'm not a trained hair-dresser! It's really quite simple to give yourself a trim, and you can always start off taking very little off to get the hang of it and build up your nerve! C-Dot's middy instructions are really easy to follow too! (thanks C-dot! I used them just the other day!)

That's great, it's fun to branch out and do these things yourself! No appointments, no waiting, no costly pay-out. :)

(Good to know you liked the tutorial, you've got great hair!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy