Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxford Bags

swinggal

One Too Many
24 inch cuff is nothing. Original Oxford Bags were up to 40 inches at the cuff! Whatever the case, you should not be able to see the shoe. Revamps have a huge cuff width.

They had to have pleats. Was physically impossible to make them otherwise as they went straight down.

Wild Root

Gone Home
swinggal said:

They had to have pleats. Was physically impossible to make them otherwise as they went straight down.

(Buzzer sound) Survey says that's incorrect! The pleats give them a Zoot look with 24" hems; straight legged pants don't have pleats, just shallow ones if any... I've seen originals; some have shallow pleats and most don't have them. Most pants from the 20's I've seen don't have pleats. Today, tailors don't know how to get the right shape for these pants; they always come off looking like a pair of Zoot pants on steroids. They just taper into the cuff... it's a wide leg yes but, come on, it's got to have the bell thing going on! It has to almost flair from the hips down to a 35"-40" hem.

=WR=

swinggal

One Too Many
Well, no box pleats I mean. The Revamp ones have pleats and the legs go almost straight down to a 40 inch cuff. They are most authentic bags I have ever seen. They have 2 pleats per leg at the front and a dart at the back. My friend has 2 pairs. Not box pleats. The hight waist means the pleats dont dont balloon out like Zoot sut pants. They sit flat.

jon_big_pants.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, those aren't too bad, I think he asked for them to be a little wider... I've seen ReVamp's stuff before and well, they didn't look like that at first. now, the pleats I've seen on the originals are inverse... they should face in and not out. Anna could do really good repops if she had an original to go off of I think.

=WR=

swinggal

One Too Many
Nope. Jon said they were straight off the rack. He said the second pleat matches up with the strat of the pocket, first pleat forms the crease along the front of the knee.

Jon has since made a black pair for himself, using the Revamp pair as a pattern. Hes a good sewer.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Heck yeah! I'd wear'em! But, that's due partly because I'm... WILD ROOT!lol

Look at it this way, kids today are wearing ridiculously low wide legged jeans... well, wear these high waisted pants that are just so different that you'd be a true individual! Unlike all those carbon copy individuals!lol

=WR=

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I guess. It just seems to me that some styles are perhaps best left in the past. I like wide-legged pants, but 22-23 inches around the cuff is about the max I think would look good on me.

Oxford bags just strike me as belonging in the same catagory as zoot suits or jazz suits. Sort of cool in a way, but so exaggerated (even for the time) that today they are really only fit for use as a costume.

Please go to the original sources. Oxford bags were originally never bigger than 25" circumference (according to quotes in Esquire's encyclopaedia). Remember how shocking even a 22" cuff would have been in the 1920s! Men were wearing almost drainpipe trousers then. These ludicrous tents we see people wearing in the pictures above are the demise of Oxford bags. Whenever some idiot gets hold of things like this they take things too far. Vulgarity killed the cat. By this point, no truly hip people were wearing bags ... just because people were doing things like this:

Bags.jpg

I must say ... 23" cuffs on tiny wee me look just like some of the pictures above. They completely cover my shoes.

bk

I will quote directly when i get home. Many of the speculations above are blown out of the water ...

Wild Root

Gone Home
Now I'd wear a large obnoxious pair of plus 35" bags for the sheer glee of making people look at me and the puzzled looks on their faces would be worth a million! I'd probably feel naked under them but, if they're made of say a nice heavy wool flannel then, it'd be really cool! I'd never wear them every day, but I'd wear them now and again to mess with people's minds!lol lol lol

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy