Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oysters

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I love raw oysters, though I dislike shucking them. And the Tabasco actually adds a small measure of safety; the acids tend to kill any bad stuff that might make you ill.

My mother, anytime someone mentioned oysters, would blurt out "Ha! SEX FOOD!"

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I LOVE oysters!!!!

And to me raw is the only proper way. No tabasco, no vinegar, no onions - only lemon.
The best oysters I've ever had was in Cancale, France.
Bought them in a stall near the oysterbeds. Directly from the sea.
They were served at a blue plastic plate, with a plastic fork to help.
A bucket full of half lemons to add to the taste.
12 oysters - 10 Euro!!!!!

OF003329.jpg

(Edit: Found this stockphoto of my favourit oyster restaurant in Cancale, France)

While I sat there eating and looking out at the sea, a group of elderly tourists arrived and took some photos of me - obviously thinking I was one of them savage locals!
They asked my wife - in german - if the oysters were boiled or fried? When she said no, they almost fainted.
After talking to them for a bit, we found out they were from a small village in Austria - a country where the sea is pretty far away. So obviously oysters was something they had only read about.

After strolling around in the city, we came back to the oysterbeds, and what a sight:
Our 6 elderly - and now pretty exited - austrian tourists, were standing with a blue plastic plate with 6 oysters. One for each. I passed them by with a smile and a "Courage, mes amis!" And they did it!!!!!:eusa_clap

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Oysters on the half-shell are one of life's greatest pleasure...

...with a little bit of lemon juice and maybe some horseradish.
7c955a117d16211f_m.jpg

Sometimes for a change I like oysters rockefeller, though.
oyster_rockefeller.jpg

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I'm an oyster lover. I host oyster roasts at my house fairly frequently in the fall and winter. Over the years, many thousands of oysters have lost their lives around the big shucking table in my back yard. For example, at a single roast last November, my guests and I ate over four-hundred pounds of the little fellows. So identifying one, favorite oyster would be kinda tough. I've eaten a lot of good oysters in the last fifty years since I tried my first one.

I try to buy North Carolina or Chesapeake Bay oysters when I can. I’m not terribly fond of oysters harvested in the Gulf of Mexico, but I’ll eat them when I have no other choice. In my experience, North Carolina and Bay oysters are much saltier and more flavorful than those from the Gulf. I’m not sure why. I’m guessing it has something to do with the water. I also try to buy my oysters during dry spells. Heavy rain tends to freshen the water in the estuaries were oysters grow causing them to taste muddy and bland.

I prefer my oysters steamed. When I'm cooking oysters for myself, I generally steam them a bit dry. I often dip them in a special oyster sauce that I make….other times I just eat them sauceless. Oh, and I should mention that a few saltine crackers and a hefty glass of brown liquor goes quite well with steamed oysters on a frosty winter’s night.

AF

dr greg

One Too Many
NY NY

The Grand Central Oyster bar in New York was great when I slurped a few down with beers there many years ago, which reminds me, anybody actually float the oyster in their beer? It's best done when there's only a decent mouthful left in the glass and MUST be still cold.

LordBest

Practically Family
I've had an oyster addiction since was I around four years old, can't get enough of them. One of my most treasured memories was a table piled high with natural oysters at an uncles wedding, I managed at least eight dozen and I was only six years of age.
Natural of course, but if I'm in the mood for something hot then I also favour Oysters Rockefeller. Tasmanian pacific oysters are genuinely what is most available in my area, though sometimes you can get Sydney rock oysters.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Yup, I'm another oyster fan. I prefer them natural with a squeeze of lemon, although a mate ordered half a dozen Kilpatrick the other night at the pub which weren't half bad.

I'd urge all oyster lovers to hunt down Bluff oysters from the southern tip of NZ when they are in season (albeit short). They have to be in the running for the best in the world. Hence their hefty prices and people chartering planes to have them flown to them around the world!

Chas

One Too Many
I used to spend many hours with my parents and sib's picking them at Okeover Arm, on the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia.
Home%20Bay.jpg

As a kid I thought they were disgusting, but I love 'em now. Raw, as they should be taken.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oysters at Legal's, raw and only raw, though occasionally I enjoy deep fried oysters from the clam shacks. I often go to Legal's and order two dozen oysters and some lobster bisque.

I like them with a bit of cocktail sauce. Wellfleets, Kumamotos, Malpeques, Bluepoints; they are all delicious!

When in Boston, Legal's will not disappoint. Union Oyster House probably will.

Brooksie

One Too Many
One more oyster fan here! I was first introduced to oysters as a small child because my mother loved them. I grew up eating them smoked from the can and also my mom would by the petite fresh raw ones and bread them in egg and saltine cracker crumbs and fry them.

I still love them this way but a few years ago I lived on the Oregon coast and started to eat them fresh and raw with a squeeze of fresh lemon and I also love them roasted in the shell on the barbi with a squeeze of fresh lemon, melted butter and Tabasco.

Also how could I forget oyster stew! Double yum too!

I just love em!

Brooksie

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
HadleyH said:
I LOVE OYSTERS!!!
So did I!!! When I was a little boy I had a pet oyster......until my sister got hungry. :cry:

She had a pet guinea pig..............

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tomasso said:
So did I!!! When I was a little boy I had a pet oyster......until my sister got hungry. :cry:

She had a pet guinea pig..............

So you HAD a pet oyster until she got hungry... :cry:
And she HAD a pet guinea pig until....

:eek: Inquiring minds want to know... ;)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Hemingway, thanks for the Legal's tip - I would have been suckered into the touristy UOH. I have done Durgin Park three times, after all. :(

My grandfather introduced me to Oysters when I was very young, maybe 5 or 6, when he made oyster stew. I still make it the way he did.

He also got me going on truly spicy food, cigars, hard cider, beer, bourbon (all responsibly), shoes, clothes, watches, good grooming...

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I like oysters raw, with a bit of tabasco or lemon juice. I've never had them cooked, but I think I'd like them that way, too.

The best - the freshest and tastiest - I've had up to the present were from a café in Baltimore in West Cork a couple of years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner