Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oysters

Boodles

A-List Customer
Holy Moly!

Did you document, weigh and measure these for Boone & Crockett and Safari Club International record books?

rumblefish said:
Almost every time I go to collect oyster I run across a shell or two that belong to huge oysters. I'd pick this large shell up and ask "why can't I find them this big, alive?"[huh]

Well yesterday I found two, alive, and bigger than any empty shell I ever found!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Those really are whoppers Chris!

Haven't had my zinc fix for a couple of weeks now so might have to head down to this pub where they sell fantastic oysters for a pittance.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Still hot by you Tim? Nothing like nice cold oysters and a cocktail.:)

Boodles said:
Did you document, weigh and measure these for Boone & Crockett and Safari Club International record books?
I saved the shells,,, I may have them mounted, and put on the wall next to the antlers and ducks.:D ;) I do that and they'll surely be bounced of my head by my wife.:eek:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
32C today Chris and gloriously sunny. We are supposed to hit 39C tomorrow so there'll be a few "cold ones" for medicinal purposes ;)

Cricket

Practically Family
Speaking of oysters, when I was a child, my nieghbor would take the leftover shells and scatter them around his mailbox. No clue why, but as a child, I thought I had uncovered a real treasure. I got in trouble once for taking a few, but a few days later my wheelchair-bound grandfather stuck a few in his seat and quietly rolled away. Turns out, the two men had a friendly joke war going for years.

I still have those shells somewhere. I never thought oyster shells would produce a memory.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I have lived almost 43 years and have NEVER tasted oysters, at least not raw. Living 1000 miles from the sea probably doesn't help any. I will top your chitlins, with a St. Louis delicacy...brain sandwiches. Take a slice of cow or pig brain, bread it, deep fry it, put it on rye bread with a slice of onion and some spicy mustard...heaven. The brain takes on the consistency of non-quite-cooked scrambled eggs, all held together by the breading. I haven't had one in years, seems to have become extinct with all the talk about "mad cow", but yummy if you can wrap your head around what you're eating.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
davestlouis said:
I have lived almost 43 years and have NEVER tasted oysters, at least not raw. Living 1000 miles from the sea probably doesn't help any. I will top your chitlins, with a St. Louis delicacy...brain sandwiches. Take a slice of cow or pig brain, bread it, deep fry it, put it on rye bread with a slice of onion and some spicy mustard...heaven. The brain takes on the consistency of non-quite-cooked scrambled eggs, all held together by the breading. I haven't had one in years, seems to have become extinct with all the talk about "mad cow", but yummy if you can wrap your head around what you're eating.

I have had pig brains; it was beyond description. *yucky*

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Not an oyster convert. Tried em numerous times, just don't see the big deal, especially considering the texture. Maybe haven't tried the right ones.

Have tried brains, incidentally — sheep's brains breaded and served like falafel, in a lebanese restauraunt in dubai, while watching a floorshow. Not bad, pretty rich actually.

As a Long Island (NY) resident I learned to enjoy clams on the halfshell such as Little Necks and Top Necks. (Also Manahattan style clam chowder and baked clams.) But oysters were not as accessable to me as much and always reminded me of a bad cold breaking, if you know what I mean. :confused: :eek:

Then in the late 80's or early 90's on a trip to Las Vegas with my friend Steve Z, we were lucky at the slots and as a reward went to the Steak House in Circus Circus. Steve got some oysters on the half shell as an appetizer and had me try one. I ordered another round of them pronto, they were jst that good! Since then I have liked them a lot but only have them now and again.

Taps Brewery in Brea (Southern California) has a fine selection of oysters from all over and I think it's time for a trip down there to have some. I like to have the NON-oakey-buttery Chardonnay's (Steel tank fruity flinty) with oysters but at Tap's their own brews are usually really good so I get something from their draft line up.:beer: :cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner