Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oysters

Brooksie

One Too Many
Viola said:
Here's something off-topic but I must know: What exactly is a chitlin? Is it a pork product or a collard-like green? I don't eat pork AND I don't know what chitlins are but I don't know if those are connected except in my head.

I don't eat oysters either, I should show myself out of this thread. But is there an oyster analogue like the faux krabmeat for crabs, that's really pollack?

Viola - Chitlins are pig intestines, I tried them when I lived in Texas. When they are boiled they taste super nasty however they were not too bad fried.

I have never heard of a faux oyster however my mom dearly loves oysters and other shellfish but now she is highly allergic. She says the next closest thing to her is slices of eggplant dipped in egg and cracker crumbs and fried (becaus this is her favorite way to prepare and eat an oyster) I don't think that fried eggplant (even though I do like it) tastes anything at all like a fried oyster (which I like even more so) but I am glad that it makes her happy.

B

Boodles

A-List Customer
Gees Viola, I have already steered this thread off the planet

Viola said:
Here's something off-topic but I must know: What exactly is a chitlin? Is it a pork product or a collard-like green? I don't eat pork AND I don't know what chitlins are but I don't know if those are connected except in my head.

I don't eat oysters either, I should show myself out of this thread. But is there an oyster analogue like the faux krabmeat for crabs, that's really pollack?

Ma'am, Barrister Finch will likely need to straighten this out but in the meantime...chitlins, actually chitterlings, are the intestines of a pig (swine, porker, squealer, etc., depending upon where you reside) which have been washed, sliced into lengths of about 2 inches and then either boiled or fried. Collard greens are, of course, a green leafy plant and also one relied upon as another item of table fare for people who have less than others.

I am unaware of any faux oyster product but I suspect that some big idea guy is thinking about it. If you read the text of some recent posts by Atticus Finch you'll get the idea that oyster substitutes might well be produced from things even more repugnant (at least to me) than the genuine article.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Viola said:

Viola, chitlins are hog guts. They are commonly fried or boiled. When they are boiled, they smell exactly like one would imagine boiling hog guts to smell. Sometimes, here in the South, tradition begins with but the tiniest spark. I believe that, many years ago, a few very hungry people boiled and ate some hog intestines because they were...well...very hungry. And they didn't own a frying pan. Since then, Southern people have continued to eat boiled chitlins because no one has told them that it is alright not to.

And, yes, you did not dream that chitlins and collards are very connected. They are both at the top of any decent soul food restaurant's menu and are frequently served on the same plate...with yams and black-eyed peas and corn bread.

AF

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, everyone! That question has plagued me for a long time.

I knew they counted as soul food... it went with cornbread in my mind. And I definitely DO eat cornbread.

Alas, it looks like the chitlins and I shall never be better acquainted. I have only seen them fried (up here in Philly in the soul restaurants) though, never boiled. Maybe even the people in Philadelphia who will go on and on and ON about being from the south aren't that concerned with being authentic? I just thought there was a law they had to fry everything in creation with lard. lol

rumblefish

One Too Many
Boodles said:
Mr Rumblefish - I should have expected my poo pooing oysters would get a rise out of the man from Long Island. Touche, my friend. Enjoy "them" things. My hat is off to any man who gathers his own food.
OK then. My visit you won't serve me any liver and your visit I won't serve you any oysters...;) The gin we'll leave up in the air. :cheers1:

rumblefish

One Too Many
^ ?
You may be thinking of abalone.
The faux version has to do with a thinly cut chicken cutlet soaked in clam broth and prepared with garlic and lemon.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Atticus, I think the vast majority of us eat chitterlings. We just disguise them by filling them with spiced ground meats.

Rumblefish, I remember a line in a sitcom years ago that had an old cowboy character actor musing about who was the first person and how hungry was he to eat something that looked like it fell out of a bulls nose. That said the taste and texture of the different varieties makes for just a fantastic evening at a good oyster bar.

edit: Marc, just read your post in annoying phrase........got me again!

rumblefish

One Too Many
St.Ignatz said:
Rumblefish, I remember a line in a sitcom years ago that had an old cowboy character actor musing about who was the first person and how hungry was he to eat something that looked like it fell out of a bulls nose. That said the taste and texture of the different varieties makes for just a fantastic evening at a good oyster bar.

I think people get drawn in when they see others enjoying them. Even though it looks like something that should be leaving, not entering your mouth, some give it a try. Those folks I give credit to. I don't think I would try anything so funky/dirty on the outside and so [you know] on the inside, in my latter years (after five). Who could argue with a room full, hooting and hollering over these little guys.

A tasting at an oyster bar!? That's something I haven't done in awhile!:)

Boodles

A-List Customer
rumblefish said:
OK then. My visit you won't serve me any liver and your visit I won't serve you any oysters...;) The gin we'll leave up in the air. :cheers1:

Rest easy Mr. Fish as you have a better chance of winning the Powerball than you do of me trying to palm off any liver on you. I cannot abide with liver. I can stand 'round the bar or the shucking screen while people wolf down their oysters, no problem, but I cannot stand the sight or the odor of liver. As for the gin, I hope you do make it "down" here sometime. I'll happily buy you a gin or three, your choice. I don't look down my nose at another man's choice of gin unless he's settling for that "well brand" bathtub gin stuff which must, as its botanical component, use grass clippings. I won't dredge up the Spearmint/Grapefruit flavored gin thing again.

Back to oysters...what about the Apalachicola oysters? My wife loves them. From what I see those are a bit smaller than on the NC coast.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Boodles said:
As for the gin, I hope you do make it "down" here sometime. I'll happily buy you a gin or three, your choice. I don't look down my nose at another man's choice of gin unless he's settling for that "well brand" bathtub gin stuff which must, as its botanical component, use grass clippings. I won't dredge up the Spearmint/Grapefruit flavored gin thing again.
Deal! Same here.:) about the rounds of gin.
But you may want to try the spearmint or grapefruit- just to say you did. It's so bad you kind of have to try it a second time, because you can't quite believe it's that awful.
As for the Apalachicola oysters, I remember them being a bit saltier than my home favorites, and the shells were nice and uniform. As opposed to the gnarly shells of some others. I had them in a restaurant in Tampa and thoroughly enjoyed them!

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
The Old Society Oyster Dinner

"The Lower Merion Society for the Detection and Prosecution of Horse Thieves and the Recovery of Stolen Horses" est. 1818 is having it's annual oyster dinner in November. The Old Society membership is dwindling and we are VERY interested in new members. If anyone in the Philadelphia area is interested in attending please PM me soon and I'll send some info.
"Confusion to all horse thieves"
Tom D.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Almost every time I go to collect oyster I run across a shell or two that belong to huge oysters. I'd pick this large shell up and ask "why can't I find them this big, alive?"[huh]

Well yesterday I found two, alive, and bigger than any empty shell I ever found!

Get a load of these:
DSC03398.jpg
DSC03402.jpg

rumblefish

One Too Many
They were real good. The lip was a bit firmer (al dente) than the smaller ones, nowhere near as chewy as a clam. Good as any others, just bigger. If I were served this size in a restaurant I wouldn't be too thrilled. Much more than a mouthful. Three this size and I'm full!:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner