Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Painted A2 from the 388th Bomb Group, 8th Air Force

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This A2 is from Cable Raincoat's unnamed 27753 contract which was awarded in mid 1942. The jacket has all the features typical of this Boston maker. It is a size 44 and is original apart from the waistband and wristlets, which appear to be recent replacements. The russet horsehide is strong and supple. Jackets from this contract were fitted with brass Conmar zips and medium-sized ring snaps. Cable A2s from the two earlier contracts usually had nipple snaps.

This A2 was issued to two different USAAF airmen. The name tag and patch from the first guy have been removed. The second person to be issued the jacket was a captain with the nick-name Kaz, short for Kazzy, which may be derived from his surname. He was a bombadier on Shy Anne (or Sky Anne depending on how one reads the second letter). I have traced a B-17 to the 388th BG from the 8th AF. However, the B-17 on the back of this jacket is the earlier F model without the chin turret, whilst Shy/Sky Anne from the 388th was a B-17G. Perhaps the jacket artist forgot to include the chin turret or maybe there was an earlier B-17 that had the same name. Kaz completed 17 missions.

Like all the original A2s in my collection this is not a jacket that I intend to wear apart from to the occasional airshow. However it is a very comfortable fit!

046.jpg

048.jpg

050-1.jpg

051-1.jpg

052-1.jpg

055-1.jpg

057-1.jpg

062.jpg

053-1.jpg

054-1.jpg

Last edited:

aswatland

Shy Anne or Sky Anne undertook 16 missions from 4th June 28th September 1944. This B-17G crashed on 28th September 1944 and only two of the nine-men crew survived (became POWs). No one with a name similar to Kazzy is listed among this crew or any of the crews who flew B-17 42-102953 so I suspect he flew on an earlier B-17 named Shy/Sky Anne.

Makes me feel better you're not sure of "sky" or "shy" 'cause I was too embarrassed to ask. ;) great story. I'd love to find out the correct name, but I'd wager on "Shy".

Last edited:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Definitely looks to be "Shy" I agree. Maybe a play on the word Cheyenne as in the Native American tribe?
Most excellent jacket. I especially like the painted 8th air force logo patch on the left shoulder.

aswatland

Check out this link...there was a "Shy Ann" in the 390th. You will see that many of these B-17Fs were received at the "Cheyenne Mod Center"...so the word "Cheyenne" may have been top-of-mind for these guys. Just a thought...beautiful jacket and in great shape Andrew. Size 44?
http://www.390th.org/resources/search/

This is fantastic! It would seem to fit perfectly-a B-17F as well. Accepted by USAAF 31 Aug 43. Cheyenne Mod Center 4 Sep 43. Grand Isle 7 Oct 43. 8th AF 16 Oct 43. Mechanical failure after take-off for mission to Gelsenkirchen 5 Nov 43. Went into flat spin at 3000 feet, crashed in North Sea off Aldeburgh, England. All KIA. The 390th BG was based at Framlingham, Suffolk.

aswatland

Yes, the jacket is a size 44. Shy Anne was from the 571 Bomb Squadron. Some years ago I visited the control tower museum at Framlingham.

I can't find anyone named Kaz or Kazzy or with a similar name who was a member of the crew of the Shy Anne. So perhaps the first owner of the jacket was KIA on Shy Anne and the jacket was re-issued to Kaz after 5th Nov 1943?

Last edited:

aswatland

There is a Eugene C. Kazner listed in the mission and crew data pages,.... I wonder if that's Kazzy?

I came across this guy too, but he was from the 570th BS rather than the 571st BS. He could be Kazzy, but I'm wondering whether he would have been issued an A2 from a deceased airman from another BS even though they were on the same station at Parham (the correct name for the 390th's base near Framlingham). There is no information on this guy to show he was a bombardier and a captain. Here's the link to Kazner's enlistment records. http://aad.archives.gov/aad/record-...&rpp=10&pg=1&rid=3262345&rlst=3185039,3262345.

The research goes on.

Last edited:

aswatland

There was a second Shy Ann(e) from the 571stBS. This one had a much longer service history. "Accepted by USAAF 30 Jul 43. Tulsa Mod Center 30 Jul 43. Scott Field 28 Sep 43. 8th AF 27 Aug 43. Salvaged 15 Jul 45." However there is no one listed who might be Kazzy among the various crews.

aswatland

The more I read about the 8th AF the more I realise that crews flew in various B-17s. So a guy might get his jacket painted in the style of the nose art on one plane only to serve in several others on his tour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot