Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Painted Flight Jackets - Planes, Names, and Dames

Django

New in Town
Lots and lots of GREAT artwork in this thread!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I've yet to do a jacket yet, as much as I try to find the time. I got as far as the line drawing on the back and that's it. :(

Does a B-24 count though? ;) I designed the artwork, and my friends Sean, Mike, and my Dad helped me paint it.

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

Here we are on the final day with the late Gary Austin (the former CAF B-24/B-29 crewchief). I miss you Gary.

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

DSCN3329.jpg

This was all in 2007. I'm currently working on artwork for a B-17. Hopefully they will be ready for the painting next spring.

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Django said:
Lots and lots of GREAT artwork in this thread!!!

I've yet to do a jacket yet, as much as I try to find the time. I got as far as the line drawing on the back and that's it. :(

Does a B-24 count though? ;) I designed the artwork, and my friends Sean, Mike, and my Dad helped me paint it.

This was all in 2007. I'm currently working on artwork for a B-17. Hopefully they will be ready for the painting next spring.

IMG_0926.jpg

Painting noseart on anything counts. :D This design would look so great on the back of a flight jacket. :eusa_clap

Whithead

Familiar Face
Examples of original painted A2s...

I am looking to get mine painted and am looking for examples of the type of name text that may have been popular...I wanted to attached a version of my working picture but the system won't let me.

...what secret handshake do I need to post apicture?

Silver Dollar

Practically Family

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Django, you lucky son of a gun. I would have given body parts to be able to do something like that. It's a beautiful example and very period. You guys did a fantastic job and I'm jealous.

Whithead

Familiar Face
Proposed Jacket Back - Comments?

Couldn't get file to load...so I made it my avatar.

Any comments or suggestions on making this better?

Probably going on a goatskin A2...

When my wife asked why "Hell's Belle?"
I said, "Remember when we watched the movie Memphis Belle?"
"Yes," She said.
" Well...my girl's not from Memphis."

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Whithead said:
I am looking to get mine painted and am looking for examples of the type of name text that may have been popular...I wanted to attached a version of my working picture but the system won't let me.

...what secret handshake do I need to post apicture?

No secret handshake needed. Just use Photobucket, Picturetrail or some equivalent service and post the file.

Someone else posted a picture of that pinup recently on their jacket on the VLJ Forum.
[url]http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=541&start=20[/url]

[img]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/a-2-art/Witch%20craft/a2.jpg

Looking forward to seeing larger pics of your jacket. :eusa_clap

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Mike's Jacket Art

I was asked by Mike to post a few examples of his work. He normally sells his jackets on eBay. I bought "Moonbeam McSwine" from him last January. I've been corresponding with him about a project for one of my jackets. ;)

NOSEARTJACKETS008.jpg

MaidenAmericaA2jacket007.jpg

LethalLadyA2jacket001.jpg

PISTOLPACKINMAMA003.jpg

JosMEMPHISBELLEjacket003.jpg

B3ZNbHwmkKGrHqQOKioEWJJF95bBMmCbDO8Q_12.jpg

B0PtJEWkKGrHqJhEw5IpyeSBMZfW873j_12.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
LB-30

Django said:
IMG_0421.jpg
Glad to see the old Consolidated LB-30 back up in the air. I remember back in 88 or 89, it was out at Pete field in Colorado Springs, we had our unpainted Lockheed PV2D Harpoon sitting next to it giving tours. A big thunderstorm moved in , they let me sit in the back while the rain and tornado warning passed. Good memories, nice crew, I do miss the Desert Pink quasi Ploesti color scheme though! Love the authentic tail gun position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner